• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How much oil in the t-box?

Not as per the manual, the question is how much will be in there if the interbox seal has failed and it's filled up from the main box?
It shouldn't be leaking, both boxes were rebuilt a few months ago, but as I posted previously, it is.

In all the years of ownership I never drained the t-box. ATF leaked in from the auto box, periodically I topped up the auto box to make good what leaked out of the t-box. As there was a constant throughput I regarded it as self-changing.
The t-box didn't seem to mind being filled with ATF.

Now however, with a rebuilt t-box, I feel I should drain it.
But I don't want to find it overflows my drain can.
I guess some of you have interbox leakage... roughly how much oil should I expect?

Not as per the manual, the question is how much will be in there if the interbox seal has failed and it's filled up from the main box?
It shouldn't be leaking, both boxes were rebuilt a few months ago, but as I posted previously, it is.

In all the years of ownership I never drained the t-box. ATF leaked in from the auto box, periodically I topped up the auto box to make good what leaked out of the t-box. As there was a constant throughput I regarded it as self-changing.
The t-box didn't seem to mind being filled with ATF.

Now however, with a rebuilt t-box, I feel I should drain it.
But I don't want to find it overflows my drain can.
I guess some of you have interbox leakage... roughly how much oil should I expect?
Why not just drain the excess out of the filler/ leve; plug 1st then you know how much extra was in the transfer case.

Why not just drain the excess out of the filler/ leve; plug 1st then you know how much extra was in the transfer case.
Oh no, you're not catching me that way :confused: I remember when first I bought the Landy and was lying underneath to check the oil level and I took out the plug and a waterspout of oil descended on me.
Won't be doing that again !!

OK, if a gallon can will do it, my trusty 2 gallon drainer can - similar to that one anyway - should be OK.

So at last I get around to it... see any problem?

Upside...JPG

I feel an alloy cover coming on.

I feel an alloy cover coming on.
Yes, I have one on the way from Canada. Curious story: ordered a transfer cover from Vitesse having seen the eBay advert calling it a Roamerdrive and using a photo of the genuine item, stamped with the name. Surprised to find it in a Britpart box! Looked well-made in China but I had a surge of resentment and wrote this to Vitesse: the listing photographs used by Vitesse implied that the item supplied is a genuine Global Roamer Corporation product, and the listing described the brand as 'Roamer'.

Neither of these statements are true; the item is in fact a Britpart copy of a genuine GRC Roamer product, and though it may be technically accurate in all respects, I return it for three reasons: first, because the listing is untruthful and seeks to imply something it is not. Secondly, because I believe that the commitment by GRC to invest, design, and produce the genuine item deserves the reward of sale. Thirdly, I decline to support a company such as Britpart which has, as you will be aware, a variable but long-established reputation for supplying poor quality products.

At the same time I contacted Ray Wood at GRC and gave him much the same story; in return he described the withdrawal of GRC from UK retail and then offered me a free cover for the cost of postage! It is currently in transit for the sum of £60. Vitesse were decent enough to apologise for the slack advert edit, though today (I assume deliberately) they still use the Roamer photos and the word 'Roamer' in the description. Refund was prompt, though they couldn't resist an unprofessional dig and stated that GRC were up for sale recently.

The genuine GRC cover was last listed by Flatdog in the UK at £128; best price today for a BP copy is £130; a genuine from Canada is £140+60 postage.

Last edited:
Yes, I have one on the way from Canada. Curious story: ordered a transfer cover from Vitesse having seen the eBay advert calling it a Roamerdrive and using a photo of the genuine item, stamped with the name. Surprised to find it in a Britpart box! Looked well-made in China but I had a surge of resentment and wrote this to Vitesse: the listing photographs used by Vitesse implied that the item supplied is a genuine Global Roamer Corporation product, and the listing described the brand as 'Roamer'.

Neither of these statements are true; the item is in fact a Britpart copy of a genuine GRC Roamer product, and though it may be technically accurate in all respects, I return it for three reasons: first, because the listing is untruthful and seeks to imply something it is not. Secondly, because I believe that the commitment by GRC to invest, design, and produce the genuine item deserves the reward of sale. Thirdly, I decline to support a company such as Britpart which has, as you will be aware, a variable but long-established reputation for supplying poor quality products.

At the same time I contacted Ray Wood at GRC and gave him much the same story; in return he described the withdrawal of GRC from UK retail and then offered me a free cover for the cost of postage! It is currently in transit for the sum of £60. Vitesse were decent enough to apologise for the slack advert edit, though today (I assume deliberately) they still use the Roamer photos and the word 'Roamer' in the description. Refund was prompt, though they couldn't resist an unprofessional dig and stated that GRC were up for sale recently.

The genuine GRC cover was last listed by Flatdog in the UK at £128; best price today for a BP copy is £130; a genuine from Canada is £140+60 postage.
What is the part number from Canada as I am going over there tomorrow might try to get my self one as I am going to BC?
There based on an Island off Vancouver Island , I am in Vancouver 10th May but not practical to get to them.

Last edited:
Y

All well with you in Canada, Doug?
Yesterday my FOC SX-COV arrived from BC and it felt like Christmas! Note the origin of the gasket.

View attachment 529724
No not going well at all did not get to Canada
Thursdays KLM flight from Newcastle 6am failed to take off [technical issue] for Paris no KLM there to speak to at all , rebooked for flight to Amstaerdam Friday arrived in Schipol 11am only to be told our flight to Vancouver had been cancelled [technical issue] , offered us a night in Hotel Schipol and a flight next day to Montreal then on to Vancouver would have ended up being 3 full days trying to travel so ended up telling them to fly me back to Newcastle and refund all flight payments.
Thinking about maybe booking through Heathrow with Air Canada in September.

Back
Top Bottom