• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

In situ leak repair

Waterover

Shifting Up
Hi all,
Wondered if steering boxes had been done in place by anybody. Don't want to remove and open her up, as I haven't done one. Can I replace seals one by one???
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20240325_133108.jpg
    20240325_133108.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 49
I have CV grease in mine at the moment.
I know heads will be spinning at that, but it's only NLGI 2 (one shot is 00) and contains a decent amount of 'moly' to protect the bits inside.
I slightly over-filled it to make sure most of the upper bearing was sat in it and the rest gets a coating on rotation of the steering.
It is not ideal for the upper bearing which would really prefer more slosh/splash lube from a less viscous grease/oil, but my leaks have stopped ;)

You can change the side and bottom gaskets in situe but its fiddley and messy and too easy to drop the little balls! I would live with it, its just stopping rust forming elsewhere.

Jet wash it and see where its leaking from. There is a seal on the steering column, on the steering shaft, two end covers, a side cover and all the bolt holes. The end holes are through holes. It won't be the column or top cover as the level soon gets below these. Is the end cover loose?

Just got the four bolts out,we'll 3 really. One snapped internally!!!! That will be a job , hopefully there is a nub i can grab.....my real question is do I have to remove the brake housing to get it off the vehicle????? She won't come through the hole because the pedal box is in the way. Really hoping i dont have to. How do you guys do it????

This is a lesson in why we tend to live with leaks and not undo bolts unless we are sure they will come out. Next time heat the ally with a blow lamp then chill the bolt with penetrating oil before you try to turn it.

I managed to slide mine out past my pedal boxes.
Had to remove the bulkhead to chassis brace along with the steering box brace all as one unit then there was enough wiggle room.
Have fun trying to get that snapped stud out the box, i'd imagine it'll be a nightmare.

Back
Top Bottom