• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Info PLEASE steering box /panhard rod mounting bush??

Bingy bong

Accelerating Away
Hi all, rebuilding my 90, but come to a slight niggle. I have rebuilt the power steering box and attached it to the chassis with the four bolts that go all the way through the chassis. Also bolted to the steering box lower down is a bracket that also bolts to the panhard rod mount. Should this bracket have a bush in it? I have looked everywhere for info on this, (the phone ate my photos of the striodown whist doing an update.) I have done a search, even looked at various manuals and parts catalogues but cannot see no info.

IMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0240.jpg adwest steering box parts list.jpg

Any info would be great.

Cheers chaps, Bing

Replaced my steering box to find the same thing after asking around was told it was saposed to be like that and no one can say why

Replaced my steering box to find the same thing after asking around was told it was saposed to be like that and no one can say why

Thanks for the info. Just seems a bit strange that a small shaft going into such a large hole. Must admit though, i cannot recall cutting a bush off. Hmmm

why is it like that ? a very good question. is it to allow some movement to stop things breaking ? or more likely, thats just how landrover made it, who knows, but thats the way it is.
nip all 3 bolts up to get it in position, then tighten them all fully to allow evertything to settle into the right position.

why is it like that ? a very good question. is it to allow some movement to stop things breaking ? or more likely, thats just how landrover made it, who knows, but thats the way it is.
nip all 3 bolts up to get it in position, then tighten them all fully to allow evertything to settle into the right position.

Cheers Zollaf, i will do just that. Just waisted all my xmas holidays looking for some info hey ho.

Thanks again!

As Zollaf says: just how it is. Probably a tolerancing thing to allow a bit of play if things are exactly in line: so you've got some adjustment, just like having bigger holes for the door striker pins so you've got some adjustment there too.

William

well mine has a bush in it, definately something missing from your picture.

or correction, the outside diameter of the thread and shank on tie bar matches the inside diametre of the hole in the panhard mounting arm (on mine) i'm sorry i dont have a picture of that area from when i swapped my steering box, but i distinctly remember it being snug fit. from the naked eye it looks like a bush, but its rock hard, maybe metalastic or just metal.

theres no need for tollerance or slack taking up because the 2 holes at the steering box end are slotted for this purpose

i think there are different tie bars for different typs of steering box and imagine this is your issue/missmatch

I can't find a pic of mine, out of the hundreds I took of my 90 build it is sods law that when you need a specific picture you haven't got one....

i could pop camera through my wheel arch, but OP is still out in the cold. i cant find a separate item in the parts book either, and guessing dont really have the resources to go swapping tie bars

if it were me i'd get a bronze sleeve turned up

hmmm, i have never seen any bush in that hole in 20 years of messing with landrovers. a bronze bush would keep the stud central in the hole, which is fine if the stud is exactly central, which i dont think it is, so could do more harm than good.

OMG, you lot are making a feature film with special effects, as I stated in earlier post, and reinforced by DarrenH, a panhard rod with correctly fitted BUSH is a snug fit, no need to make anything. Stop flapping, take a deep breath, calm down, present your panhard rod to the bracket (with bush pressed into the rod) and then come back if there is still a problem.

it not the panhard rod bush he is talking about it is the hole next to it that a stud arm from the steering box goes through we know the panhard rod has a bush

Well I have never seen a bushing or any type of sleave in there before. I even removed the panhard bracket from a dealer maintained defender and there wasn't a bush in it so it's not likely to have ever had one.

Id say though that the support the bracket from the steering box to the panhard bracket gives once bolted is non existant.

cap in hand, i retract previous statement and apologise for adding doubt ontop of OP's

in retrospect i can see my own mistake (i.e the washer) just posting pictures up to reassure OP.

its clear from the location, and orientation its to triangulate the panhard rod chassis mount, which would have quite some bending moment on it without the tie bar.

tiebar01.jpg tiebar02.jpg

DarrenH i knew there was no bush in there only because when i got my 300tdi and had to replace my leaky steering box that big nut you show in your pics had been glued onto a stripped thread by a previous owners bodge, shocking really but glad i found it and now all sorted. Oh my new favourite word of the day "Triangulate".

Back
Top Bottom