• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Insurance frustrations

Addjunkie

First Gear
Ahhhh insurance. So my current provider decided they no longer wanted my business and offered a renewal with 5000 xs. Errrr how much 800 quid with 5000 ecxess.
So off I go various comparison sites….log book says light good vehicle. So its a van, or is it. So when trying van insurance various decent sensible quotes but the xs model not found, my reg number comes up as Defender 90 heavy duty pickup. So in an attempt to try and move things forward honestly I rang a few quotes in an attempt to try to get insurance that matches the defender model. Errrrr the computer says a Defender 90XS TD as my log book doest exist, so sorry we can unsure it for you, Ill contact the underwriter. Ok good. Underwriter wont cover it as its not in the model list, odd that underwriter is currently covering it. A very help chap at Carole Nash tried to help, he hit the same brick wall, apparently to do with the way its listed with the DVLA.
So back to play with a comparison site. If I search for car insurance with out the reg number, I find in cars a Defender 90XS TD as per my light commercial log book. Tried to take it through and purchase insurance. Then when theyask for Reg number it doesn't recognise it, but with on company I could have. 2010 county TD.

Is it just me where my defender is a car by data base code and light commercial by log book, or are others struggling with this. This has boiled my urine so much I would accept any sensible offer before I trade it in on a Rav4 for the Mrs

I had a mate of mine have exactly the same problem, I'm going to be 100% honest with you it didn't end up good, the dvla wouldn't back down on their idea of what category his wagon was, so daily or weekly insurance only, nobody would insure it for a reasonable price, and class 7 mot, a nightmare for a land rover unless you've got thousands to ram down it, and my mate ended up outing it to a breaker, he got fair money for it, but I think dispare and the wife got the better of him, get yourself 10 posts and I'll give you an idea how to get round it, my thoughts are with you mate cos the dvla is not fit for purpose

Is it just me where my defender is a car by data base code and light commercial by log book, or are others struggling with this. This has boiled my urine so much I would accept any sensible offer before I trade it in on a Rav4 for the Mrs
Had a similar problem insuring my sons 3 door Hard Top. Many insurers use the same vehicle listings so the error is picked up each time to you a quote with different companies. If I remember rightly his was being described as an XS 90 rather than a 110 van. Care - if the description doesn't match and you go ahead with the cover it will not be insured in an accident. At one point I tried that in desperation and immediately rang the insurer to get the policy corrected - they wouldn't do it and cancelled the policy - cover invalid as computer led descriptions didn't match. Trying to sort it on line and get automated quotes was a waste of time and most of the telephone agents didn't have the initiative to look for a resolution. It took me a while to find a broker who could sort it. My LR on the other hand - identical - 3 door Hard Top was recognised as such straight away. It's almost as if someone has done a typo on some Reg No's keying in vehicle info - which has just been logged and now the incorrect data is accepted as gospel - 'Computer Says No' :oopsy:

Back
Top Bottom