• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

It’s a shocker

TJB

Offroader
Can anyone recommend a shock absorber brand to replace those on my military 2a 88 in? Don’t want anything fancy, just something that will do a decent job. Seems a relatively straightforward job to replace them, although I bet a few if you have stories to tell!

The BP ones used to be Monroe. Check, if they still are these are good, otherwise just search out some Monroe's, they last and are sensibly priced. Before you order check the ride height, my ex-mil LWB has a mil chassis with a 2" lift and std shocks don't fit, I have to buy the 1 ton ones as these ar 2" longer. Very little price difference but its a pain if you get the wrong length.

The BP ones used to be Monroe. Check, if they still are these are good, otherwise just search out some Monroe's, they last and are sensibly priced. Before you order check the ride height, my ex-mil LWB has a mil chassis with a 2" lift and std shocks don't fit, I have to buy the 1 ton ones as these ar 2" longer. Very little price difference but its a pain if you get the wrong length.
Thanks Rob. Daft question perhaps but how do I measure the ride height? I guess I could also measure my existing shocks and replace with same sized ones - assuming the PO fitted the correct ones.

If your vehicle is ex military and FFR it will very probably have been fitted with heavy duty shock absorbers while it was in service, part No RTC4235
Thing is, do you really want a shock absorber as firm as that or will the standard unit suffice?
RTC4232

If your vehicle is ex military and FFR it will very probably have been fitted with heavy duty shock absorbers while it was in service, part No RTC4235
Thing is, do you really want a shock absorber as firm as that or will the standard unit suffice?
RTC4232
Hi Neil - ex military yes but nothing to suggest FFR. My first thoughts are standard but may go for military if the price differential isn’t too huge. Just about to check out your links.

The 2" ride height is added by the design of the dumb irons and spring mounts so if they look like a standard chassis then std shocks will fit. If they are reinforced with an extra set of holes for the spring then its mil and lifted. A pic of the dumb irons will show what it is. Is the crossmember under the box removable?

The 2" ride height is added by the design of the dumb irons and spring mounts so if they look like a standard chassis then std shocks will fit. If they are reinforced with an extra set of holes for the spring then its mil and lifted. A pic of the dumb irons will show what it is. Is the crossmember under the box removable?
Thanks Rob. I’ll post a pic tomorrow and check the crossmember. I had the dumb irons replaced a couple of years ago as the originals were rotten so not sure they will provide a clue.

That suggests it a civvy chassis, the mil dumb irons are not available and have to be made. mil SWB were often on civvy chassis so this is quite legit.

That suggests it a civvy chassis, the mil dumb irons are not available and have to be made. mil SWB were often on civvy chassis so this is quite legit.
Thanks Rob - sorry, busy couple of days so haven’t even been in the garage. Sounds like you are suggesting a civvy chassis based on the fact that the dumb irons were easily replaced and therefore likely to be standard shocks. I’ll check the crossmember. Am I right in assuming it would be removable if military spec or is it the other way round?

Yes my assumption is that if you were able to get and repair dumb iron its probably on a civvy chassis. Mil have removable cross-member. If you do a google images search you will see the mil Series with the 2" lift are noticeably higher than those without so it should be quite obvious is you need the 1 ton shocks.

Like this.

Attachments

• LandySeries2AswbADOD (1).png
    LandySeries2AswbADOD (1).png
    156.8 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom