• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

I've spent HOW MUCH??? Tell me something comforting guys.

Extreedoc

Big Landy Fan
I sat down yesterday and surrounded by invoices worked out exactly how much I have spent renovating the series 3 109. I did it so as to be able to arrive at an agreed value with the insurance company. Here goes... it's...: £3500! That includes the original purchase of the vehicle at £1250.
The thing is I had an idea it would be around that sort of figure but somehow, working it out accurately and seeing it written down in front of me is much more depressing; and there's the little matter of the possible future purchase of an overdrive unit.
Tell me something comforting...

You have a vehicle that you know all about and will last a lot longer than any other £3500 vehicle on the road and I bet it gives you more of a grin now driving around!

Something comforting :- buy a teddy bear.

Well your rebuild has not cost too much, to date I have spent just shy of £5000.00 not including MOT costs and 2010 (which I have not yet totalled as I still have things to buy!), the good news is its spread over four years.

I sat down yesterday and surrounded by invoices worked out exactly how much I have spent renovating the series 3 109. I did it so as to be able to arrive at an agreed value with the insurance company. Here goes... it's...: £3500! That includes the original purchase of the vehicle at £1250.
The thing is I had an idea it would be around that sort of figure but somehow, working it out accurately and seeing it written down in front of me is much more depressing; and there's the little matter of the possible future purchase of an overdrive unit.
You could have spent it on a lapdancer and had nothing to show for it the next morning except a guilty smile;)
By the way that was a cheap rebuild so count yourself lucky, mine was 5 times that amount and still leaks.....

When it's gone.......it's gone:D

Enthuisiasts always come up "with reasons to believe":D

Ahem; You now have a vehicle that should there be a total breakdown in the Monetary system you can take to the mountains and start all over again:eek::D

It is serious money, plus the time that you spent on it too. I do know guys that have spent that amount on a stereo system..........and more.

The Trucks are more of an emotional experience anyway. You will get a chunk back too if selling. As we all know .......there are no cheap builds.

My on going restoration is valued at £3,500 though if I added everything up I will have spent more than this and we never count the hours of toil that I have put in to the project as well but as I say it keeps me out the pub (can't afford both) and if you average it out its only £30 a week or a Saturtday night out with only a sore head to show for it instead of a beautiful piece of motoring history marking your drive. Will have to miss a few more Saturday nights out as I have just bought a sankey trailer for it as my next project and need a bigger shed (garden not Land Rover)

Well, ahem! Mine is currently running at... £5,500... which does include consumables, like paint, sealant, all parts, all fixings, paint etc etc. tools I had to get, or replace if I wore them out eg an Aldi compressor (not had one before), replacement drill, replacement cordless drill, replacement ginder (all worn out doing this rebuild).

However, there is more to come... including the tilt... and a set of 5 wheels and BFGs. Gulp!

Oh,and it DOESN'T include the initial cost of the vehicle :)

At this stage the Mrs is not aware of the total cost, other than its cheaper than buying a new car!

100_1187.jpg
Something comforting :- buy a teddy bear.

Thanks Jeff, no need for yet more expenditure...

I new I would spend too much so i burned all the evidence :), even the mental arithmetic is scarey :eek:
the comforting thing to tell you is £3500 sounds cheap

When I read what some of you have spent I do feel a little better, thanks guys.
I didn't, however, include the £750 I spent on a decent mig welder or the £400 for the Land Rover I broke for spares, the tools I had to get, not too many as I'm pretty well equipped with kit but: angle grinder and big pop riveter come to mind and there are a few things which had no invoice and have been forgotten now. I can only say in my defence that I have never spent anything like this much on a mere motor car before, it's come as a bit of a shock.

have a look on some lesser car forums and read about the repair bills some folk have had to pay out on cars that are only just out of warranty. £2000 isnt unusual. thats just to save scrapping it, but a car you still owe 12k on cant really be scrapped, so your car ends up blackmailing you into submission. i think if you spend 10k rebuilding a series landrover into mint condition, that will last for 40 years, then its cheap motoring. a friend paid dunsfold 15k to rebuild his series 2 back to original condition. unfortunately he died just after getting it back so never got to enjoy it.

That's not bad, considering you enjoy what you are doing. As said, if you go down the pub and waste the money where you have something to show for it.

Doing cars up will always cost you more than they are worth to sell, but that's not why you do it. if I buy a car to sell, it must be cheap orignally and cost sweet FA to do or it's not worth my time. If I buy something to be either a custom or a classic rebiuld, it's my relaxation time and pleasure that count, not the money.

Chris

have a look on some lesser car forums and read about the repair bills some folk have had to pay out on cars that are only just out of warranty. £2000 isnt unusual. thats just to save scrapping it, but a car you still owe 12k on cant really be scrapped, so your car ends up blackmailing you into submission. i think if you spend 10k rebuilding a series landrover into mint condition, that will last for 40 years, then its cheap motoring. a friend paid dunsfold 15k to rebuild his series 2 back to original condition. unfortunately he died just after getting it back so never got to enjoy it.

This is exactly why I bought a Land Rover in the first place, I am an ex mechanic but out of it for years now and I simply can't think what car to buy next when my 10 year old diesel Fiesta cashes in its chips. I hate and detest modern compu-cars and the crooked philosophy behind them. If I can't repair it myself I won't buy one, simple as that.

my thoughts exactly. take the vw 2.0 tdi engines with the siemens piezo injectors for instance. they are around £500 each and fail regularly, stopping the engine if only 1 goes down. theres just too much expensive technology in them these days. at least a pre td5 landrover can be kept going with a hammer and chisel.

We were discussing this the other day at work. If we had about £5000, which car would we buy?

Couldn't think of one. I still drive around in my S plate Jeep as it cost £1100 3 years ago and I haven't found a decent Disco 2 I like which is cheap enough for me. Apart from a set of glow plugs and a battery, I've had to weld a sill.

I'm trying to think what to get Heather, but there's nothing I like and I'm not buying or repairing what she likes.

Chris

Only £3,500??????? :eek::eek::):);););)

I'm past that already and I still only have a pile of bits on my workshop floor.....

All joking aside, look at it this way, how much would you have to pay to get a half decent 4x4 family sized vehicle these days? Think of a number, double it and add a few grand and you'll be close. You have a bargain, trust me!

You could of course buy half a citroen C1 in basic trim for £3,500..........

Do you ever get the feeling that the motor manufacturers with the collusion of government are trying to drive independent garages out of business? Further: do you think that in general, multi-national corporations and governments are hostile towards people such as us: engineers, mechanics and farmers and other practical people and would like for us to just disappear so that only frightened and helpless victims are left? Is this too much like a conspiracy theory for comfort? Where's my teddy...

you want cheap transport..?? buy a good pair o boots n walk. You want reliable transport? Buy some German eurobox. You want something tough enough to take whatever you, the environment and the weather can throw at you, year round, year on year... get yourself a half decent landy and do what it takes to keep her half decent...

Back
Top Bottom