• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Just a thought...........

FhitSlicker

Accelerating Away
Looking at my washer bottle I have 2 juice pumps one of which isn't being used as I guess it's for the back door window which I don't have, has anyone ever connected both up to fire onto the screen with just the push of the steering column wipe/washer control? or would the possible drop in voltage (12v to one and probably lower split between them both) between them both render it as a non starter.

As we all know the defender wipers aren't the best especially when the screen is dry, so thought that more juice might help the dry start up.

Yes, I connected both together electrically and pipes, didn't seem to make much difference, the angle of of the little ball nozzle has to be exact or it either goes over the side or hits the wiper arm.

I have modified my Defender so that I have 2 washer jets fitted rather than the single item in the middle. I used the redundant holes provided for wipers on LHD models. You could use one pump for the left and the other for the right, you haven't lived until you've washed your windscreen with 4 powerful jets providing the fluid!

ok cool, cheers lads, has anyone ever though of or fitted the jets on the bonnet rather than the bulkhead?
Not sure if there's any benefit to this if I'm honest, apart from maybe defrosting the pipes more quickly with ambient heat from the engine.

Not sure if there's any benefit to this if I'm honest, apart from maybe defrosting the pipes more quickly with ambient heat from the engine.

Yes I can see that during the winter, I thought it might have given a bigger splash of juice on the screen cause of the straighter direct angle when it hits the screen :cool:

Yes I can see that during the winter, I thought it might have given a bigger splash of juice on the screen cause of the straighter direct angle when it hits the screen :cool:
I think you'd just end up with a splash water on the bonnet at the beginning and end of the squirt, so to speak! The pumps aren't renowned for their pressure. I wonder if they'd have enough oomph to operate a fan jet like I have on my Passat? That would be a good upgrade.

I think you'd just end up with a splash water on the bonnet at the beginning and end of the squirt, so to speak! The pumps aren't renowned for their pressure. I wonder if they'd have enough oomph to operate a fan jet like I have on my Passat? That would be a good upgrade.

As long as the pumps and jets where good then yes, might be a lot a faffing around though

I am sure someone on here years ago tried a set on the bonnet and there was nothing to write home about. Top tip I did pick up was to extend the washer hose from the wing and wrap it round the top coolant hose a few times - defrosts way quicker now. sadly doesn't stop the temptation to see if it's defrosted yet and press the button for wash wipe only to watch the plastic nozzle break off and launch down the bonnet!

I did this many times in one bad winter - so in the end I extended the hose up to the wiper and zip tied it to the passenger side wiper - had to rectify for MOT as it didn't deliver an even spray - it just dribbled down the wiper. Daft as when it was just tube to the wiper the screen wash worked a treat every time.

I think @Geobloke fitted the jets to his wiper arms?
Hey what's this now? I was nowhere near at the time. Got an alibi I tells you... :eek:

If you are talking about the old Peugeot 406 windscreen jets on the wiper blades then yes I had them on old Eva. Excellent modification. Only downside is the routing of the hoses through the bulkhead. Some would call it ugly. Some practical. I am positive there is a thread on the subject in the search box...

Back
Top Bottom