• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

L322 transfer box neutral, engine won t start

campo

In Second Gear
Hi people, my RR is a L322 TD6 MY 2006 with a GM 5L40E transmission. I bought it in March this year. Occasionally, the transfer box neutral warning popped up on the dash (withe the gong, but no green mountain light), the car still drove fine though. So I ignored it, more or less. One time I tried to engage Low Gear, but nothing happened . This week I was preparing for a fluid change on the transmission, that is where I stumbled across an old thread in this forum, regarding the transfer box neutral thingy. I thought no harm could be done, by recalibrating the transferbox with the fuse 37. HOWEVER, since then, the engine won t start anymore. With gear shift in P or N, the only thing that happens when you turn the ignition key, is a soft hum (or double hum) on the drivers side of the gearshift.

I am definitely no expert, but I did some reading (and viewing) about this problem. What I did sofar: battery is ok, took of transferbox motor, when you put 12V on pin 9 & 10 it turns nicely in both directions, the resistance values between pin 2 & 4 look correct. Put the motor back on, another fuse 37 recalibration. Now the transferbox DOES switch from high to low gear and back again, you can hear it working, and it says so on the dash.
Butt still nothing happens when you turn the ignitionkey, other than the soft hum in the middle console.

Anyone any ideas ???

Hi people, my RR is a L322 TD6 MY 2006 with a GM 5L40E transmission. I bought it in March this year. Occasionally, the transfer box neutral warning popped up on the dash (withe the gong, but no green mountain light), the car still drove fine though. So I ignored it, more or less. One time I tried to engage Low Gear, but nothing happened . This week I was preparing for a fluid change on the transmission, that is where I stumbled across an old thread in this forum, regarding the transfer box neutral thingy. I thought no harm could be done, by recalibrating the transferbox with the fuse 37. HOWEVER, since then, the engine won t start anymore. With gear shift in P or N, the only thing that happens when you turn the ignition key, is a soft hum (or double hum) on the drivers side of the gearshift.

I am definitely no expert, but I did some reading (and viewing) about this problem. What I did sofar: battery is ok, took of transferbox motor, when you put 12V on pin 9 & 10 it turns nicely in both directions, the resistance values between pin 2 & 4 look correct. Put the motor back on, another fuse 37 recalibration. Now the transferbox DOES switch from high to low gear and back again, you can hear it working, and it says so on the dash.
Butt still nothing happens when you turn the ignitionkey, other than the soft hum in the middle console.

Anyone any ideas ???
Sorry it has been such a long time.
This is what i did in the mean time. Checked the battery, fine. I took a dive in the electronics box, measured quite a lot of signals from the gearbox, they looked fine. Finally, i found a "solution" from a guy from Austria. Put a screwdriver to the startermotor...and there we go, motor running, driving normal!!!

Ever since, i have to repeat this procedure everytime i want to start the car. Get in, turn the ignition, open the hood, short the startermotor, etc. Not the optimum of course.

I suspect that either the immobilser control unit itself is faulty, OR the immobiliser is not receiving the (proper) signal from the gearbox or the transferbox.

If anyone has something useful on this problem, i would appreciate it. THX

I would go for a better bodge until you find a solution!
Wire up a starter solenoid and have a starter button in the vehicle so you dont have to go under the bonnet every time to start it!

Back
Top Bottom