• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

L494 brake problems!

MarkMcQu

Shifting Up
So, I changed my discs and pads at the end of last year. The start of the year saw my N/S/F caliper seize! Warped the new disc. Calipers on back order at JLR due to them moving stock around and not knowing where parts were. I had to make do with a less than perfect braking system until the part was found. fast forward 4 weeks and my motor goes in for the repair only for the mech (Independent) to tell me that the O/S/F had now failed......🤬.......£2000 + VAT later for calipers, (the mech had kindly said he would replace the discs and pads again under their warranty) and the car drove fine. But wait...... Another few weeks later and the brakes start juddering again! another warped disc? I asked could the fronts have gone again? I was informed that if they had then JLR would not replace them under any warranty as calipers are NOT covered!!......🤬🤬. I felt a raging phone call coming on to "JLR customer experience"! COSTOMER F🤬CKING EXPERIENCE!! Anyway, after having to wait for my busy mechanic, he eventually had a look last week and tells me that the N/S/R calliper has seized and will need replacing, new discs and pads too..... Again.

1. Is this normal? I've owned the car since Sept '22. Never let a car wash wash it and always done it myself as I know the crap they spray on the cars is corrosive.
2. Does anyone know of someone who can refurbish Brembo calipers to a high standard as I've got quite a collection growing? definite 3 calipers, soon to be 4 I'm guessing!

Any help much appreciated

How old is the car and what is the average journey type & mileage?
It sounds to me that (in common with alloy calipers on other marques) the brakes are not getting warm enough to boil off condensation forming on the unpainted surfaces of the caliper and allowing / accelerating corrosion formation, in turn, causing the pistons to bind.
We've used BCS for caliper refurb work, not cheap but quality results.

How old is the car and what is the average journey type & mileage?
It sounds to me that (in common with alloy calipers on other marques) the brakes are not getting warm enough to boil off condensation forming on the unpainted surfaces of the caliper and allowing / accelerating corrosion formation, in turn, causing the pistons to bind.
We've used BCS for caliper refurb work, not cheap but quality results.
Hi Groliffe. It's a 2017 (67) plate. I travel from Manchester to Carlisle for work so 2 hrs, 107 miles on a Monday and return on a Friday same distance and timeframe. BCS, I may give them a call to see what they can do. It's possible I may wait for the remaining calliper to fail as it's probably imminent. Regarding the refurbishment, I've been quoted ÂŁ300 per calliper for the fronts. Not asked about the rears yet as they were fine when I first contacted them.

It could be washing / jetwashing and then sitting without being driven, allowing the corrosion to set in and develop isn't helping - also with your usage pattern, sitting for five days at a time will allow damp air to be drawn in (especially in Carlisle!), there isn't really a fix other than drive it more and wash it less.... Aluminium alloy corrosion will be the first to set in as it's such a reactive material, as much as it may seem a 'new' model, remember it's coming up to seven years old...

I'd recently had new discs, pads and calipers on my 08 Vogue and that lot cost far less than ÂŁ3k. My partner has a 63 Disco van, she had new discs put on a few years ago and they wore out afeter about 6 months! Parts retuned via the garage to JLR who replaced them and they too done the same thing. Garage replced them with pattern parts and they've been on the car about 5 years now, and the pattern parts were cheaper than the JLR parts.

Back
Top Bottom