• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Landrover Evoque P300e Scraping Noise

Jmgs

In Second Gear
Good morning everyone.
I have a technical question for other Landrover P300e Evoque owners.
The car is 2020 and has 6000 miles. I’ve been driving it for a week and noticed the noise discussed below immediately.
When I drive the car in EV mode only it is a smooth drive and makes no noise and I’m satisfied with the car.
If you are driving less than around 30mph and switch to engine mode from EV there is an immediate scraping noise coming from what sound like the front passenger side engine bay (several people have identified this side now). This sound is there for as long as the car is in petrol mode. It goes away immediately if you switch back to petrol mode. It is audible below 30 mph but road noise takes over above this speed.
It doesn’t make any noise when you run the engine in Neutral.
It’s not a whining noise, it’s sounds like the noise you get from brake discs when they have got rusty over a few days from not driving.
Incidentally the stability control failed a few days ago and Landrover assist came out. They made some updates to the software and I took the engineer out for a road test.
He heard the noise and wasn’t sure what it is. He’s advised to monitor it.
His best guess is the rear brake pads are not bedded in but the sound only happens in petrol mode. There is no noise on EV.
Is it something to do with energy regeneration or is this typical for auto P300e Evoque? It’s my first Landrover so I’m not sure what to expect.

On a side note the driver foot plate has also broken off the car and Landrover want £600 to replace as it needs a new carpet!

Any feedback relating to the noise would be appreciated?

Thankyou

He heard the noise and wasn’t sure what it is. He’s advised to monitor it.
aka. "Not a clue mate, you're on your own with that until something breaks and we find out what it was"...
:D

Not a clue either tbh, but a few more questions which may help narrow it down;
Is it only when the car is moving and does it change with speed or constant?
It doesnt make the noise in neutral while coasting? only when gears are engaged?

At that age and mileage, I would expect the dealer to put things right. I'm assuming that you have some kind of warranty, so I would notify them of any issues (and get it in writing). I would firmly put the ball back in the sellers court...

The noise is only when the car is moving.
It does seem to increase in frequency with car speed which is strange when it only does it under power (but not on EV mode).
I've not tried neutral coasting. I'll give that a go.
It is as if something is engaging onto the drive part of the car when it switches to petrol that is running dry and only noticeable at low speed.
The car is due for a service in 3000 miles so I'm trying to get facts before they start making excuses when I mention it.
I've got it on a report from Landrover assist but was just interested to see if other EV uses of the same vehicle have the same noise.
I'm already unhappy that they will refuse to replace a broken foot rest plate under warranty but that's another story.

Many thanks

My wife is driving a BMW X2 right now, which is a rental car provided by her work. In EV mode, the car is front wheel drive. When the engine is running, the car is rear wheel drive. When you really get on the power, both are running. What I'm suggesting is that perhaps the engine is driving front wheels on the Evoque so when it switches to engine power, you are hearing this noise from the front half shaft on that side. I would probably start my investigation there. It's easy enough to jack the vehicle up and turn the wheels and listen for a similar sound.

Back
Top Bottom