• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Landywave Forum Magazine

Lighting90

Administrator
Staff member
Well it has been a while, not much has been happening with it, but think it is time to bring it back in a new format for 2020 and the future going forwards.

In the past we had some great articles done by forum members, so we have started there first, in bringing back some of the old editions so you can go back and read up on some of the adventures, maintenance tips, product reviews etc.

So pop along and have a look again, www.landywave.com

If anyone wants to get involved or simple write an article or give a product review, drop us a line.

Any comments welcome.

Now, I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the September 2009 Landywave forum magazine do they? Just a chance shout out as I don't appear to have that particular edition in my archives. (The only one missing!) I just have a copy of the front cover sadly.

09-09 LWM Sept09.jpg

@Lighting90, this sounds like it's worth reviving. Can't help with the missing edition from 2009 cos I wasn't on the Forum then, so this magazine is completely new to me. Just to bring me up to speed can you tell me how it works?

Is the magazine accessible to Forum members only or is it open to everyone?

Is it the aim of the magazine to highlight interesting things that have happened on the Forum over the last month or do you want articles that haven't been published on the Forum....or both?

Do we submit articles to you by email? as the PM system wont carry photos

I take it the magazine is hosted on a separate site to the Forum? and if so does it take in articles from other forums?

Are you looking to publish at the same time each month?

Will you need a lead time on any articles submitted for entry into the next months magazine?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I would like to get an idea of how it works.

Mick,

All good questions, and worth doing as it gets it out there again so we can make progress.

So lets answer each one.

@Lighting90, this sounds like it's worth reviving. Can't help with the missing edition from 2009 cos I wasn't on the Forum then, so this magazine is completely new to me. Just to bring me up to speed can you tell me how it works?

Is the magazine accessible to Forum members only or is it open to everyone?

The Magazine is open to all, so it is on a separate website to allow this to happen with links back of course to us. The idea is to generate interest in our forum, and bring people on board. At present I am just uploading the old copies that were done previously. The question is, do we make new content exclusive to forum members for say 2 months before making public, open to discussion on that. (Plus I would need to look into how that could be done.)

Is it the aim of the magazine to highlight interesting things that have happened on the Forum over the last month or do you want articles that haven't been published on the Forum....or both?

We had a mixture of both previously, sometimes they were taken from the forum and other times they were written firstly for the magazine and then published later on the forum by the writer. The aim is to highlight the various interesting things going on with the forum and to demonstrate to none forum members what a nice bunch we are and how much technical knowledge is here to help them.

Do we submit articles to you by email? as the PM system wont carry photos

They were always sent by email previously, the old email accounts all work, but currently go to one central place until someone steps up and offers to help with any of the various Editor roles. (PM's can carry photo's with a work around, what you need to do is create a gallery that is only viewable to you and the person you are sending the picture to. You can then link the picture into the PM. it is all to do with how the permission system on the forum software works.)

I take it the magazine is hosted on a separate site to the Forum? and if so does it take in articles from other forums?

It is hosted on a separate site at present, so not to cause problems with the forum server... rather than located else where for any other reason. (this may change in the future when we do a server upgrade.) We have not taken articles from other forums before, mainly because no one every suggested it before. We would not be against this, and would be open for discussion. Likewise, the same goes for any other sources would be the same.

Are you looking to publish at the same time each month?

Originally that is how the magazine started, but as time went on, the problem came to actually getting enough articles in each month to maintain a standard format that you would expect of a nomral magzine. As soon as an article got delayed, it sometimes lost it's relevance due to timing as well, so it caused problems. Also it is a lot of work for the editor who at the end of the day is doing it out of their own free time.
This is why to bring it back we will publish each month what ever comes in and is processed, so if it is only one article, then that is what will be published, if it is four articles that month then it will be four, and we will take it from there.

Will you need a lead time on any articles submitted for entry into the next months magazine?

Sorry for the long list of questions but I would like to get an idea of how it works.

The lead in time will always be needed as the article will need to be put in a format that will be always seen as instantly a Landywave article. So this might be as simply as just adding the Landywave logo's to taking written text and photos and putting it altogether, as our forum members have varying skills with regards to these things. I would say we need a two week lead in time generally.

If anyone wants to step forward to help with the magazine, please let me know.

I will post more later of what the processes will be for future articles, and will start and think up dates etc...

Wow.... who ever takes this on is going to have to have a lot of time to put to it. I think it's a brilliant way of promoting the Forum and I think, as you already have a working format, it should be open to all from the getgo, rather than initially restricting access to Forum Members only.
It does detract for the original aim of promoting LRUK but opening it up to other Forums to post articles would make it a more interesting read. Maybe a guest section could be a feature where other Forums are invited to include an article(s).
Perhaps the editor could select standout posts to the Forum from the previous month along with articles submitted for that moths publication. Something I have found is how easy it is to miss something that has been posted so picking out certain posts to feature would be a good way of catching things that you otherwise would have missed.
To ease the time burden would it be possible to use a widely available format, so that articles submitted are already in the correct font size and type face?
That's my immediate thoughts :) but I'm sure some more will come up.
What does everyone else think?

All good points Mick.

With regards to formatting when sending items in, I would prefer not to set a particular way of doing things, as we should encourage anyone to send in articles, and not everyone has the skill set to work computers to the same degree.

A note to everyone:-

The editor role is perfect for anyone who is working towards a career in media/journalism, as it would be good on their CV, and of course happy to provide a reference. Perfectly understand if they only do it till they find a paying job for instance. So to that end, if anyone knows of someone who is wanting to add something like this to their CV, even if they are not a Land Rover owner, tell them to get in touch.

Likewise, we can restrict the role if required, so if someone only wants to get involved in say been a Technical section editor, that would be fine also.

I will try and get more editions up onto the website.

Plus, should add, not against the idea of introducing video content, happy for us to start a LRUK Youtube channel for forum members to have videos uploaded to and then sharing within the Magazine, after all it is all online....

Is there any way to be notified when a new issue goes out? Or will it be posted on here? Sounds good, I'll be sure to contribute where I can. :)

Just an observation, I've been looking through the magazines on the Landywave site, don't know if it's my search engine but the magazine loads showing the last page first. If this is'nt my machine playing silly buggers, can it be corrected so that when you open a magazine the front page comes up first?

That is the January to April 2010 edition of Landywave now uploaded to the website.... I have two more to go and then we need new content, so.....

Time to send in your articles, here are going to be the deadline dates for each issue, if we get too many then we will let you know if yours falls into the next edition, time critical articles will always get priority.

November 2020 edition
Submission deadline - 23rd October 2020
Publish date - 9th November 2020

December 2020 edition
Submission deadline - 20th November 2020
Publish Date - 7th December 2020

That is to get us started, we will see how we are coping after that and will advise in next month what is happening in future.

Now, suggested types of articles for submission

Adventure/Green Laning/Offroading events
General Land Rover Related Stories
Product Reviews
Modifications
How-To do something, step by step guide
Personal Land Rover Story, a chance to tell us why you are weepy eyed about your Land Rover.
Rebuild stories

You can break the stories up over several months if you wish, (like for instance if you want to run a rebuild story for instance.) Should also say, your story does not have to fit the suggestions above.

Send your stories to [email protected]

Likewise you can get in touch if you want to get involved in the magazine the same way.

Lastly, if you are sat there thinking, would they be interested in my Discovery 4, or my Freelander 1 stories, the answer is yes, the Magazine is open for all Land Rover Stories, you do not have to be a forum member either, but if your not, you should consider joining! and hopefully in the future we will have the option of adding video content into the stories as well. (Still got to have a play around with that at the moment.)

I have it turns out only one more old issue to upload, as it kept getting held back at the time while the then editor fiddled with it to try and maker it perfect. Will get that edition up shortly.

Work has started on the new edition, I have one new article so far, thank you Mick, if anyone else wants to send in anything, you still have time before the deadline date for November edition, and even more time for December.

Back
Top Bottom