• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General Lighting issue

daniellockewheaton

In Third Gear
Headlight Lighting issue Undertaking a restoration of Land Rover Series 3 88 1975, with inner city school kids. They are loving but very eager so but turn your back for a second and they have whipped something offf to inspect. The recent is they removed the headlights as in fairness the high beam on offside was not working, and they thought the headlights were traditional all in ones. Turns out were bulbs, and despite changing bulb no variance in high beam not working. They subsequently removed both headlights and now near side bulb or including replacement bulbs don’t work at all, despite multimeter registers power. Any advice would be greatful - all fused remain fine.
40DDDC45-5C3C-40B3-BB5F-02FA850424C5.jpeg

Well, that's good to see! Nice to see youngsters getting hands on.

My first thought is the earth connection on the slam panel (above and in front of the radiator) This being the root cause of many front end lighting issues.
Yes, seconded on that above. Also check for corrosion on any of the earth connection wires, often the green staining loves the earth side more than the positive side.

Hi there @daniellockewheaton and welcome to the Forum. That's looking very impressive and good to see. Can I ask, did your students do the re-spray work themselves? and what condition was the Land Rover in before they started on it?
In addition to looking at the earth connections, have the earth cables themselves been test for continuity? you could have a break in the earth cable (not unknown) which would disable the circuit. If you have fitted Led bulbs you may have to fit a power correction pack, I'm sure this has been posted about by other contributors to the Forum. So a search of previous threads might throw more light on the subject (see what I did there;))

Plus 1 @daniellockewheaton , a credit to u for helping them and indeed looks a great project , also great to see ladies in the group

as a side note have found using a test light very useful as that at least puts a load onto the circuit

don’t mind admitting some time ago I got caught out trying to test an earth circuit, was fine using a multimeter but failed when I used a test light

Not being pedantic , wasn’t an L reg 1972 as thought a P reg was 1975, regardless a cracking looking landy

Oh wow, last MOT , as of 2018 only showing 27.892 miles

once done would be epic for the students to learn to drive in it, apart from the 3 x point turn, lol

Last edited:
Not being pedantic , wasn’t an L reg 1972 as thought a P reg was 1975, regardless a cracking looking landy

Oh wow, last MOT , as of 2018 only showing 27.892 miles

once done would be epic for the students to learn to drive in it, apart from the 3 x point turn, lol
Well
Spotted actually is
February 1973 ( have the orginal factory exit order book to Hayes and sons in Taunton). Miss typed thinking of our second one which is. 75 but in a much more to do state!

Attachments

• IMG_9379.jpeg
    IMG_9379.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 32
@daniellockewheaton do I remember you saying about led bulbs at one point?

And, that book of lies on the passenger wing is okay, but not really your best point of reference. You could look at

And also

Land Rover Series III Parts Catalogue: RTC 9841CE https://amzn.eu/d/c9uBMKn

And

Land Rover Series 2A, 3, 109 V8 Optional Equipment Parts Catalogue: Part No. RTC 9842CE. (Land Rover Parts Catalogue S.) https://amzn.eu/d/34oIz3X
Thanks good advice. Found a
Orginal parts catalogue at the Malvern 4x4 show which has been invaluable

@daniellockewheaton do I remember you saying about led bulbs at one point?

And, that book of lies on the passenger wing is okay, but not really your best point of reference. You could look at

And also

Land Rover Series III Parts Catalogue: RTC 9841CE https://amzn.eu/d/c9uBMKn

And

Land Rover Series 2A, 3, 109 V8 Optional Equipment Parts Catalogue: Part No. RTC 9842CE. (Land Rover Parts Catalogue S.) https://amzn.eu/d/34oIz3X
Well remembered re LED. Was a consideration but thinking too modern.

Hi there @daniellockewheaton and welcome to the Forum. That's looking very impressive and good to see. Can I ask, did your students do the re-spray work themselves? and what condition was the Land Rover in before they started on it?
In addition to looking at the earth connections, have the earth cables themselves been test for continuity? you could have a break in the earth cable (not unknown) which would disable the circuit. If you have fitted Led bulbs you may have to fit a power correction pack, I'm sure this has been posted about by other contributors to the Forum. So a search of previous threads might throw more light on the subject (see what I did there;))
Thanks mick some
Good advice. In fairness we have not touched the electrics which are all orginal. And no leds. Though had considered it. We have two series 3 in the project. 1973 is mine which is was in good condition, With only 29k on the clock. Our 75 is on a new galvanised chassis and we are currently rebuilding steering block and full steering. Body work repairs are extensive to tub but still trying to save it. Then the students will prepare and spray it all.

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpeg
    IMG_7306.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 27
  • ebf8be38-e97a-4c29-886a-bd988bef9125.jpeg
    ebf8be38-e97a-4c29-886a-bd988bef9125.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 27
  • fb073991-c15e-4659-91e4-d711cbfab748.jpeg
    fb073991-c15e-4659-91e4-d711cbfab748.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 27
The more I see, the more I'm impressed.

This is exactly what I could have done with at school...all we had was a Myford ml8 and a cut away of a differential.

One thing you could do, and teach them an extra skill.... Fit relays for the headlamps. Use the power coming from the lighting switch to power the relays, and make a new loom for the lamps. New earth's too, obviously.

Well remembered re LED. Was a consideration but thinking too modern.

I agree, but I recently got some upgraded H4 bulbs from Halfords of all places. They were quite pricey and claim to be 200% brighter than standard bulbs. I had my doubts but they are unquestionably much brighter than the standard H4 bulbs they replaced. They are still the same power ( 60/55W ) but more efficient so perfectly legal to use on the road. David

Thanks mick some
Good advice. In fairness we have not touched the electrics which are all orginal. And no leds. Though had considered it. We have two series 3 in the project. 1973 is mine which is was in good condition, With only 29k on the clock. Our 75 is on a new galvanised chassis and we are currently rebuilding steering block and full steering. Body work repairs are extensive to tub but still trying to save it. Then the students will prepare and spray it all.
Very unusual to get a Series Land Rover that still has original wiring. The vast majority of vehicles I have seen are a mine field of Scotchloks and bodged wiring repairs.
Is the area where the Land Rover’s are also where you work on them? It’s very clean 😁
Not like my workshop.

Yes. Large engineering workshop at the college. Even has cleaners that kindly come in and give it a sweep.
may have killed them today 2 hours in trying to get the steering box reassembled and failed 10 times as just can’t get the bearings to stay in place at opposite ends of assembly in the box

Yes. Large engineering workshop at the college. Even has cleaners that kindly come in and give it a sweep.
may have killed them today 2 hours in trying to get the steering box reassembled and failed 10 times as just can’t get the bearings to stay in place at opposite ends of assembly in the box
The funny thing is we were watching a video of someone else who was getting frustrated like us and in the end, all you could here was expletives from the students, myself and the video were all in sync 😂

Back
Top Bottom