• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

London Taxi engines

phoenixdave

Extreme Landy Fan
Are some London Taxi engines basically Land Rover engines? If so, which ones, and what years? I ask because I might have a cheap one available, possibly to fit in my Series 3.

David

You want to fit an ex Taxi engine in a vehicle you own :eek:

The ones i used to work on were kept running on a shoe string even when completely whacked ...cracks between to valve seats and bores worn to the extent you could see daylight down the sides with the sump off ...YET they still run (Well after a fashion)
They usually seldom get the chance to get cold so don't display symptoms such as poor starting etc BUT I wouldn't touch one with the longest of barge poles personally .

BUT I wouldn't touch one with the longest of barge poles personally .

I generally agree with this sentiment as any engine in a taxi has been worked hard doing a lot of miles, and none of them 'good' miles either (stop/start traffic, low speed, lots of idling).

However to answer the original question, the Carbodies-built FX4 'Black Cab' used the Land Rover 2.25 diesel between 1982 and 1984 (which gained a terrible reputation for reliability and most were removed) and then they used the 2.5 version between 1984 and 1989.

The 2.25 used in the taxi was exactly the same as the one in the Land Rover. The 2.5 version was the same basic engine but with a different timing belt cover (not waterproof and a different shape because the injector pump is mounted higher) and it had different manifolds. The Freight Rover 300 van used this version of the engine as well.

Jack

Some had Nissan engines in, but I can't remember the years. But probably after 1989 going by Jacks figures.

Chris

The FX4R had the 2.25 Rover engine: FX4S had the 2.5 which was then replaced by the 2.7 Nissan in a re-vamped cab called the Fairway. This engine carried on into the TX1 and was then replaced by the TX2 with a Transit engine. I think it was the 2.4 with the Duratorque dual mass flywheel. The current taxi, the TX4 (there wasn't a TX3) has a VM engine but I don't know the details of it.

I came across this previously regarding these engines:

The engine was fitted to the Austin FX4 'Black Cab' taxi between 1982 and 1985. FX4s fitted with the engine were designated 'FX4R' ('R' for 'Rover'). In this application the engine sadly gained a reputation for very short service life and unreliability. This was caused by the significantly greater times spent at idle speed in the FX4R than in the Land-Rover. Solihull engineers had warned Carbodies, builders of the FX4R that this would cause problems as at idle speed the engine's oil pressure dropped, causing the automatic tensioner unit for the timing chain to not operate fully. At the high number of hours spent at idle speed (taxi drivers tended to leave the engines idling for long period whilst waiting for passengers or when off-duty as well as all the time spent in stationary traffic in London) this caused the timing chains to stretch, causing incorrect fuel injection timing which greatly reduced engine life. The 10J engine was also adapted into a marine engine by Mercury of the USA and sold under the Mercruiser 165

Perkins was never fitted as standard. Some taximen fitted them just because they waqnted to. Once delivered one from London to Leeds and virtually never had to change gear. Wonderful drive.

Thanks all for the replies, I thought someone on this forum would know the answer:). Looks like if it's the 2.5 version between '84 and '89 it might be worth further investigation!

David

The FX4R was originally fitted with the Landrover 2.23; the FX4S had the Rover 2.5. Five were fitted in 1984 and the new model was introduced in 1985 by Mann & Overton. In the Rover 2.5 cab there was vibration from the off-the-shelf engine mountings that had to be sourced. There was a problem with a faulty batch of timing belts. The electrically operated Micronova starting system could fail & drain the battery. If anyone is still employing the BMC 2.2 I have manual info and belong to the London Vintage Taxi Society.

^^^^Do you want a Metrocab Series 2 . I've got one here which is taking up space and could do with moving on.^^^^
Thanks for this! This should be the Metrocab (UK) cab introduced in April '94. The engine is likely a 76PS Ford. If you let me know the asking price and any other relevant details I'll pass it on to the London Vintage Taxi Association. I can't cope with it myself as I'm rebuilding a 1963 FX4D and in the process of stripping my 200tdi engine for examination. I've also got two bmc 2.2 engnes under investigation and two more under the bench. Advertising in the LVTA magazine is free for members so I could advertise it 4 u in the Mar/Apr issue (photo?). Best,Steve.

I went to buy a series 3 with a BMC taxi engine. Chassis was great, it had overdrive and capstan but the engine was awful. Slow and really really noisey, not even "nice" noise, just all thrashing metallic din. Regret not buying it and junking the engine but that's hindsight! The series I drive has the Perkins 4203 which is claimed to be very noisey (it is) but its quiet compared that BMC.

How about this!
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...A#v=onepage&q=mercruiser rover diesel&f=false

I went to buy a series 3 with a BMC taxi engine. Chassis was great, it had overdrive and capstan but the engine was awful. Slow and really really noisey, not even "nice" noise, just all thrashing metallic din. Regret not buying it and junking the engine but that's hindsight! The series I drive has the Perkins 4203 which is claimed to be very noisey (it is) but its quiet compared that BMC.

How about this!
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...A#v=onepage&q=mercruiser rover diesel&f=false

1964. I like the bit where it says: '...showing a fuel consumption figure of only one gallon per hour about 16 cents worth...' so is that 4p per liter or GBP 1.40 for a land rover fill up. Mind you here in Texas we are paying $1.55 per USGAL(patrol) or 28p per liter. Under for a full fillup

Hi Crofter & Robwlondon...I've had my London cab since 1971 but my hearing isn't great. I've tried to upload pics of the engine (<1000x1000 res 200) unsuccessfully. However I'm not surprised you've found the BMC 2.2 hard going in Land Rovers. Apparently I'm the only London Vintage Taxi member with a sixties FX4D in Essex. Anyway, back to my Defender big end bearings; the entire engine is now totally stripped to the bare block to investigate low oil pressure. So far: valve stem cap fragments in sump and shells well worn. The staggering find was that what I thought to be untouched since new has .010 big ends and .020 pistons. In fact I'm surprised how mellow the symptoms were...perhaps my FX4D modified hearing!

Steve

Attachments

• cab engine smaller 4 LRUK Forum-2.jpg
    cab engine smaller 4 LRUK Forum-2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 457
  • cab engine smaller 4 LRUK Forum-2.jpg
    cab engine smaller 4 LRUK Forum-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,013
Back
Top Bottom