• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

LWT wiring looms question

andyborris

Shifting Up
Really just a problem of identification.

Have a Series 3 (headlamps in wings?) LWT, it's been much modified over the years, the worst mod being a wiring loom that is part braided cable and part household wire!

So I need to know which series loom I have, as I said what's left is brown cloth braided, part PVC, Autosparks list that as a 2A loom, the Series 3 loom is listed as all PVC.

Or should I just buy a Civilian Series 3 loom and save a few quid, I expect whichever I buy, it won't be a straight swap!

Any advice please?

Thanks

I presume it's 12v?
If you still have the military switchgear (6 way light switch etc.) then a replacement military S3 lightweight loom is probably a good way to go.
A civilian or military loom for a standard S3 88 will be set up for the Speedo and gauges in the plastic dashboard above the steering column, and will be a pain to adapt for a lightweight.

If for whatever reason you think a civilian loom would be better then a 2a loom might actually be a better fit?

There's a very good website with wiring diagrams for different ages of "Lightweight Land Rover". That's worth a visit no matter what you do.
http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/LRL M.html

honestly, if you are methodical and take your time. The wiring on a lightweight is not that hard to understand.
It is not impossible to build your own loom. Start with the easy stuff. The harness that goes to the back end of the vehicle, then the bit that does the front lights/indicators, followed by the bit that does the engine bay and you are pretty much there, fuel gauges the brake check, the IR switch and it is pretty much done.
Find yourself a good wiring diagram, blow it up and print it in the biggest size you possibly can, work from that.

Sorry for the late reply, re-wiring it to 2A spec, haven't got any of the extra mil stuff fitted, so didn't see the point (and expense!) of a mil loom.

Fair enough, probably the most significant difference between a 2a lightweight and a civilian vehicle is the 6 way lights/ignition switch.

I presume it's 12v?
If you still have the military switchgear (6 way light switch etc.) then a replacement military S3 lightweight loom is probably a good way to go.
A civilian or military loom for a standard S3 88 will be set up for the Speedo and gauges in the plastic dashboard above the steering column, and will be a pain to adapt for a lightweight.

If for whatever reason you think a civilian loom would be better then a 2a loom might actually be a better fit?

There's a very good website with wiring diagrams for different ages of "Lightweight Land Rover". That's worth a visit no matter what you do.
http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/LRL M.html
That's a good bit of info you've give over there fella, nice one

Back
Top Bottom