• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Mahle Oil Filter.

Just bought a Mahle Oil Filter, spin on, for my Series 3, have always used them.

This one has arrived in an Orange box and says made in China, all my past ones have been in a dark blue box and said made in Austria.

Have Mahle sold out and gone to China?, it's bought from a Mahle stockists who said it's direct from Mahle UK themselves.

Very possibly.
This is going to be a bigger problem in the future when genuine parts are made in China.
Partner used to deal with Chinese manufacturers and whilst the initial batch of product was very good, follow up batches suffered from very poor quality control

They can't help themselves - the lure of higher profits combined with the pressures of competition. Capitalism is a great system but it needs to be regulated a bit and the fat-cats have lobbied for too much corporate freedom. We're all at the mercy of the Great Factory of the East now and heaven help us when they tighten the noose... Just my opinion of course. 🙄

Found this;

They can feck off then.

I feel a strongly worded email coming on...

The packaging, I’ve emailed Mahle for their thinking today.

Attachments

• 9BE7A379-DE58-4363-B1B3-61044224CB2B.jpeg
    9BE7A379-DE58-4363-B1B3-61044224CB2B.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 4AD6EF48-A5DD-4CB1-A191-E587601263CF.jpeg
    4AD6EF48-A5DD-4CB1-A191-E587601263CF.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 44F8FCB8-6F64-40EE-998A-B8556EF6AE7E.jpeg
    44F8FCB8-6F64-40EE-998A-B8556EF6AE7E.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 19
Found that a couple of my filters are the same orange box made in China ones.
I think I thought they were just repackaging when they arrived as there is nothing on the outside of the box to indicate where they are made, its only written on the side of the filter. :thumbsdown:

Are Mann filters still good?
My other go-to has been Coopers in the past...

I think I thought they were just repackaging when they arrived as there is nothing on the outside of the box to indicate where they are made, its only written on the side of the filter. :thumbsdown:

Wow - 30 production sites in China. Sounds like they've gone "all in".

My son swears by Wix and I believe they make a good product. They do make them in the US but I see they also use a plant in China so who knows. WIX #51099 is listed for 1962-74 petrol and diesel engines. Online pics show an actual metal canister so that's a plus in my opinion.

Worse than watching paint dry and a lot of rather pointless comparisons, but sort of informative.

Worse than watching paint dry and a lot of rather pointless comparisons, but sort of informative.

Its interesting that the Mahle one is in a blue box but marked made in China!
I had assumed that the Chinese ones were being shipped in the (newer?) orange packaging and might be easier to identify...

:sad:

I use Mann filters on the campervan . 👍

Just bought a Mahle Oil Filter, spin on, for my Series 3, have always used them.

This one has arrived in an Orange box and says made in China, all my past ones have been in a dark blue box and said made in Austria.

Have Mahle sold out and gone to China?, it's bought from a Mahle stockists who said it's direct from Mahle UK themselves.
Here is the hard reality of filtration. The filtering media is not rocket science. The mesh that creates the structure, is readily available worldwide. The actual media, the paper element of the filter is also readily available. And must meet a specification. The process of manufacturing a spin on filter, or any other filter for the automotive industry is old technology. And if the consumer wants to buy at the best price. Guess where it’s going to be manufactured. Either you’re going to complain about the price, or as in this case, you’re kind of complain about where it manufactured. That same filter manufactured in the United Kingdom or Europe would cost 8 X! But remember, You’re going to save the environment??! You silly fools. Your energy costs are skyrocketing. Why do you think manufacturing is leaving Europe? For low-cost options. The consumer drives it.
Now stop your bitching!

Back
Top Bottom