• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

DEFENDER 01

Big Landy Fan
Well this will sort a few out. ;)
Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

Source - https://www.gov.uk/…/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-ma…

If only it made the roads a safer place. Just going to be more vehicles without mot and insurance, cos the scrotes aren't going to be bothered. As usual it's the law abiding that get screwed.

All for it, in many ways.. Though can't see the point of minor fails. It's on the ticket as an advisory, what difference does a name change make? Unless of course, if it's still there next year then it classes as a fail.

Interesting about the oil leak being a fail if considered major. As we all know, if our :and Rovers aren't leaking oil, then they're empty! Wonder if it's just to the tester's discretion whether it is a bad enough leak, same for the new hand brake rule. Could be a big difference between testers.

Heard about this a while back. Just bought a replacement EGR valve and pipery...I wish I hadn't chucked the original years ago. I might just fit it for the test ;). Of course, this might be me being paranoid, but if the rumours are true there might be a premium price on these bits come 21st May.

Last edited:
For the EGR, the tester isn't allowed to dismantle anything to see if there's actually anything inside the EGR valve ;)

Yes, I had an idea that I might just keep everything blanked off but have the "window dressing" in place since, according to evidence, the damn thing makes no positive difference to emissions.

my prediction on brake fluid is...

can i see the brake fluid? yes, is it murky, yes, major fail
can i see the brake fluid? yes, is it murky, no, pass
can i see the brake fluid? no, minor fail (for example old faded plastic no longer opaque, or solid metal other container)

can i see the brake fluid? no, minor fail (for example old faded plastic no longer opaque, or solid metal other container)
They could not issue a minor fail for that. There is no specific requirement for the fluid reservoir to be transparent, so they either have to remove the cap (would need a change in procedures) or skip the test.
There's a parallel with trailer lighting sockets. These are a testable item if fitted - but only if you have the 14 pin "euro" socket. If you have a 7 pin socket then they cannot test it as there is no standard for how they are wired - there's a de-facto standard, but no official standard - and so it could be wired completely different, fail the test, but not be "wrong" according to any official standard. Don't know if the tester is allowed to remove the cover than many cars have over the socket.

I have recently retired and was in the motor trade since 1985.
Many of the new M O T regs were easily got round I admit with all the electronic gizmos it's getting harder but there are many of the new regs that are easily overcome if you know your way around.
I will list just one obvious thing that will be done as regards brake fluid.
It will be syphoned out of the master cylinder and fresh brake fluid added without flushing the system. :(

the only time i got caught out with new MOT, old car, was the fuel filler cap. manual states it has to have a seal on the cap, on my early ninety the seal is round the throat of the filler neck itself.

EGR bits arrived today so I can keep the MOT bloke happy. One question, though, which nothing on t'web can answer...there's an electrical socket on top of the valve, what plugs into this, and should a 1995 300Tdi have it connected to anything? s-l1600.jpg
When I removed one years ago it was from a 110 CSW 1998, which might have had a connection to the socket but I can't remember, or if it did, where it went.

EGR bits arrived today so I can keep the MOT bloke happy. One question, though, which nothing on t'web can answer...there's an electrical socket on top of the valve, what plugs into this, and should a 1995 300Tdi have it connected to anything?View attachment 137383
When I removed one years ago it was from a 110 CSW 1998, which might have had a connection to the socket but I can't remember, or if it did, where it went.
Believe the wiring comes down the passenger inner wing area, so look for a plug around that area not connected to anything. My disco had the wiring flapping about there.

Good move getting an egr now though, I think your right a out the prices going through the roof. Had 3 or four of them a few years back, got thrown in the scrap pile eventually.

Interesting about the oil leak being a fail if considered major. As we all know, if our :and Rovers aren't leaking oil, then they're empty! Wonder if it's just to the tester's discretion whether it is a bad enough leak, same for the new hand brake rule. Could be a big difference between testers.
From the draft MOT testers' handbook re leaks. Steering fluid "...leaking to the extent that oil is dripping" is a fail. Battery leaking is a fail. Severe leakage from a shock is a fail. Leakage from a fuel tank is a fail as is a split filler hose, or a holed tank even if fuel is not coming out because it is below the level of the hole or split. As far as other fluids are concerned, they disregard coolant, windscreen wash and fluid used in selective catalyst reduction(?) are ignored. Leaks are to be ignored unless they produce a pool 75mm in diameter in 5 minutes. Either from one source, or collectively from more than one source. So from that I take this to be oil basically. So now we know!

That's actually quite a large leak, so I don't reckon we have anything to worry about.

Quite. I once had an Opel Manta A series bought extremely cheap, it was rusty as anything but was a lovely car to drive and very stylish. BUT it DID have a large oil leak. I left my father's house one day, to drive 60 miles home and he came running out to tell me I had a water leak. He could not believe me when I told him it was oil. I went on holiday to Cornwall for a fortnight and took 4 gallons of oil with me, it leaked all of it! I never parked on my own drive! I could not fix it as it was the seal between the timing case and the block/ head/ sump. Engine out job and I had no facilities to do it. That would have failed the new MOT. I think anyone with a leak bad enough to fail the new MOT would know it and not be able to live with it Wish I still had the old Manta, i'd have loved to have done it up. I have tried to find one and they are extremely rare. Especially the 1900 model. Only place they seem to be a bit more common is Holland.

Had a work hack like that. Rover K series and some nugget had taken a chunk out of the cam carrier. It got written off and I had full purchase price and the car back, which I then sold on (fully disclosed issues) to a chap that wanted it for running around the steelworks.

Back
Top Bottom