• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Military Oil Cooler

jrichardson

In Second Gear
I've just fitted a new reconditioned military engine but I don't want to use an Oil Cooler anyone know the size of the bolt thread and thread size?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't help you with your question. However I'm interested in buying the cooler since i need it for my 2.5 NAD S3. Please let me know.

Cheers !

I can't remember the size offhand but it's BSP ( british standard pipe) and i got my blanking plug from the local hardware shop. You won't need the oil cooler unless it's for show or you intend to remain stationary in the middle of a desert with the engine running at near full revs for hours on end powering a radio set.

A 2.5 nad will benefit from a cooler, and a TD definately needs it. I have a 2.5nad fitted at the moment, and when it was running with a brand new 4 row SIII rad and SIII exhaust it got hot on hill climbs and had trouble cooling back down unless dropped into 3rd gear.

The SIII MoD oil cooler would need specially fabricated pipes to fit the 12J or 19J. Mine cost about £80 total, but I did get very high spec hose.

Attachments

• oilcooler-lines-.jpg
    oilcooler-lines-.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 129
  • oilcooler-lines-both.jpg
    oilcooler-lines-both.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 196
  • oilcooler-return-high.jpg
    oilcooler-return-high.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 368
roy said:
I can't remember the size offhand but it's BSP ( british standard pipe) and i got my blanking plug from the local hardware shop. You won't need the oil cooler unless it's for show or you intend to remain stationary in the middle of a desert with the engine running at near full revs for hours on end powering a radio set.

1/2 BSP is very common; go to B&Q and you can buy fittings in thsi size - try it on if it fits. If you measure diameter of the thread and the number of threads per inch, I can give you this data to compare. (from memory 1/2 BSP is about 20.9 mm and about 16 tpi = threads per inch; the sizxe is hole diameter not the thread dia.)

Back
Top Bottom