• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Motorcycle riding LRUKers.

Big Sandy

Administrator
Staff member
Seen plenty mention of bikes and bikers on LRUK... Here's a place to post some pics of yours...

Here's my current bike, photo at Baille An Or (site of the Highland gold rush) on my way home. Triumph Sprint 900, 1996.

IMG_20190930_183120.jpg

And my sons bike, a GPZ400s

IMG_20190302_123956.jpg

We're needing to sort the rear caliper and disc... He's just moved house, and due to social Distancing things are on hold.

Made a few changes to the Sprint... Fitted a rack instead of the grab handles, repositioned the exhaust so it sits better, swapped the front screen for a standard rather than tall screen, as the wind hits me right in the face, so it's bloody noisy... Short screen means it hits my chest instead.

New pistons and seals in the rear caliper, new rear master and brake switch, need a new rear disc too, really, it's a bit out.

Mot'ed it last week too. Effectively a 13 month mot.

Some nice bikes here!! But are you the safe rider?? Or a ahole?? Most bikers are grate people but once on their bike thatā€™s it!! Race time!!! Over taking between 2 lorries pulling a wheely!!!!!! Filtering though traffic at hi speed or across solid white lines on the right just to get in front!!! Oh and the good one I see and get a lot of is when I pull out of a Junction on a 30 or even a 20 mph road itā€™s clear both ways, I pull out with 30-40 TONS!!! and they come around a corner at 60 plus after I pulled out they have a go say I should have seen them!! This is the same on roundaboutā€™s. Most accidents with bikes are caused by the riders and blame the other Vehicle. I sound like I donā€™t like bikes but I do if they was ridden by people who ride like they have taken a test and know the Highway Code. Ps I have gone over 200mph on the back on the German autobahn and that scared the šŸ’© out of me and I still have my CR80 1983 and it still works. Had that since 1990. šŸ˜Š

The Current Hayabusa GSX1300R
WP_20150419_002.jpg

The previous XJR1300SP
Remus 004.jpg

Biggest issue with bikes is people dont appreciate how quick they actually are so other drivers don't really stand a chance of reacting and hence always get the bulk of the blame, rightly or wrongly.

The Busa will hit well north of 3 figures before your average saloon has got into 2nd gear, it's crazy fast like most modern sports bike are now but its nearly 21 years old!

I ride quickly but I'm also very defensive, I look way further down the road than I do in a car, I'm constantly scanning and anticipating as I know its too easy for non bike riders to not see you so I treat everyone else like theyre out to kill me, leave loads of space and back off when it's busy or in town.I also dont go on group ride outs anymore, as its too easy to get sucked along and run out of talent or luck!

Biggest issue with bikes is people dont appreciate how quick they actually are
I would suggest it's because most riders seem to think they have a right to ride them at race track speeds. There shouldn't be any need for car drivers to have to be able to react to a bike doing 140mph in a 50 limit.

I'm unfortunate enough to live next to a world famous"biker" road, so have several hundred bikes a day with exceptionally loud exhausts roaring past at WOT all day every day for the entire summer. It also means the helicopter ambulance flies past most days

We get plenty of NC500 bikers, which is funny as we're not on the NC500. Regular groups of 10,20,30....they can't speed past though, the road is far too rough, even though it is an A road. I don't know why they come this way... It bypasses Berriedale, Wick, John O' Groats (most folk want to go there. Forked if I know why, it's a dump) and Thurso.

Car drivers shouldnt have to react to 140mph bikes, that was the point I was trying to make. As a bike rider you have to take responsibilty, if you get someone pull out on you when your going too fast then there is only one person to blame. But, on the other hand, it does piss me off when I overtake and get pipped at just because to a car it looks like Im a nutter, when in reality I will have planned my overtake way back and passed quickly with minimum time facing ongoing traffic. Like people who flash you coming the other way, when in reality there is loads of time for a bike nip past but they base their reaction based on how much room a car would need to get past and panic. Mind you, saying that, cars can't pass nowadays as everyone sits on everyone elses arses just in case someone else dares to get in front of them ;)

I used to ride Trials a lot as a teenager. There was an unspoken agreement with my old Dad. He would 'sponser' my trials as long as I didnt get a road bike. So while he is around, I'll no get a road bike despite wanting one more than just about anything!

Have a couple of pics of my trials bikes anyways...

Scorpa 125 4 strokeIMG_20200325_123309.jpg

And 1959 Royal Enfield. 350cc Bullet engine in a Clipper frame.
IMG_20200325_123304.jpg

I ran a kawasaki kmx 200 for about a year. Hated it! Hated the way everything stank of 2 stroke, even my butties, wrapped up in a box in a gasmask bag. (funny, we all had them for our snappin, eh?) Even though I used to put Castrol R in there, it still used to stink.

I do have a photo of it somewhere, it was a good looking bike, but I hated it. Probably as it was a step down as much as anything. I preferred my 4 strokes. And bigger.

It was the same as this one...
IMG_20201127_191414.png

They seem to command a fair price if you can find one. Mine was sold to fund a Landy!

On the subject of Kawa Gt550's, I have been watching the bay of E, as you do... They seem to be a favourite base for 'cafe racers' and 'bobber' conversions. Then are advertised for around the price I paid for a new one back in the 90's! And done in that style, they look forkin awful too.

I missed out on two for sale in Dingwall.. They were unmolested and got snapped up within ten minutes of appearing on gumtrap.

Im not that good a rider but I know that and drive my van faster than my bikes still love riding them I like the older bikes from the 70s and 80s I've had some more modern stuff some of which scared the shit of me šŸ˜‚ I like two strokes but they're getting very pricey here's a couple of ones I've had

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_113949.jpg
    IMG_20181018_113949.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20181117_170615.jpg
    IMG_20181117_170615.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190918_204411.jpg
    IMG_20190918_204411.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20181104_170306.jpg
    IMG_20181104_170306.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 35
Its not that long ago I could buy a project bike which had been parked up in someone's garage for a few years for Ā£200 or less clean the carbs out put a new battery on clean a few connections and have it working now prices are going mad on a plus note I've sold a couple of rd projects for reasonable money I just can't bring myself to part with the money for a decent one let alone a restored one like I sold a few years ago just as prices were starting to rise

Back
Top Bottom