• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

My day today!

PeteB

Accelerating Away
I was on another forum - for Audi owners having had a dalliance with a Q7. To be fair it was a decent dog bus which also had room for her and my kids. But it ended badly and we got a Discovery 4. I think I have an ordinary, mundane lifestyle but I ended up writing a diary/blog as others liked to hear what goes on in the complicated life of a machinery rep, his doings at home and the odd point of view.

To set the scene; divorced twice but in a stable now, two kids as has she, had a career in tree work then with Europe's biggest supplier of woodchippers, predominantly in sales. I first sold stuff 20 years ago all over the South than swapped for the Midlands then inherited the north and Scotland as well as Key Accounts and other stuff. My partner is in Airport Security at EMA, which is odd work and long hours!

Today, it started in a hotel in Belshill, Glasgow, in a Sprinter beavertail carrying a chipper and towing a tracked one. The tracked one was the 12 delivered to a big customer since we started selling to them some 10 years ago. Whilst with the buyer, I noted that 9 of the 10 other units in the yard that I looked at (competitive make), the critical safety device had been over ridden by the users to make them more usable but possibly unsafe! Do I tell the workshop and cause a stir or leave alone and hope that no one gets hurt? After a young lad lost his arm in a chipper last year, I chose to let someone know to prevent that sort of thing again!

Then off to our dealer in Dumfries for a sit down with their Sales Manager. Brexit cobblers seems to have all kinds of issues including sales being slower than in previous years. Whatever happens, grass will continue to grow, trees still need work, crops need planting and cows milked! Get on with life!

Then off to Carlisle to try and catch the owner of the dealer. They have been trading for 55 years and had a party to celebrate. I got a crystal trophy to acknowledge the anniversary but we have missed each other several times so left it with the Director or else it will be another month!

Then head home to Shepshed. Wednesday is divorced Dad's day! Even though the kids are Late teens or early 20's, Wednesday tea is still on the diary but now, occasionally missed! When my employer found out that I was turfed out of the home home three days before my 40th, they insisted that whatever/whenever, I was to be there for the kids. Better than a pay rise any day!

Caz at work - she is on a 4 on 4 off gig with a couple more shifts from 16:30 to 04:30. We don't see much of each other at times! Airport security is nothing to do with smuggling etc, they look for bombs and are encouraged to lie on them if required, and for not much return!

Caz home soon after 04:40. Came up with a lid if tea. Sweet of her to wake me up. Soon after we started snoring again, the damn cat was making a noise. She ran downstairs when I opened the door so I went back saying "too early for breakfast!." The noise carried on despite me shussing etc. Got up a 7 and she had been locked upstairs and had crapped on the bath mat! Now, I ain't good with that stuff so hoyed that mat and contents quickly out the window! Not a good start to my day!

Anyhow, I headed off to the factory, getting there at about 9. Washed the Sprinter and the demo chipper and put them away. One of my pet hates is dirty company vehicles and demo kit. Others seem to thrive on looking unkempt and uncared for, and that boils my pish!

I load a loan/test bed donkey to get into a client's spot in Nottingham and then find out that there is some untried parts that need testing. The last time I lent this client a test machine, I got a picture message at 2am of broken bits and a knackered machine. His contract on the M1 widening at Nottingham had come to a halt! No good, so hope this time things go better!

We got a new machine launch happening in a week or two and myself and the other rep have to do a roadtrip to show it to our dealers so that they are on board and raring to go. My first Intro is tomorrow at the factory so I got to prep for this, the script will be totally Ad Hoc as that is how I do things best. Shoot from the hip!

I get to the yard of the Nottingham chap, he is in his late 20's and gone big early. Gearing up for some serious site de veg contracts with some expensive toys and likes to talk big too! I would think that he has to find some £15k per month to cover the finance costs of his kit alone! I hope he don't get burnt as these big contracts that he is chasing quite often really are slow paying and often a legal prod us the only way of getting your money!

Then off to Newark to get a chest of drawers that Caz won on eBay for her new house! She is off to work so I got pizza for tea and anything I like on the box!

A long day! Caz came home at 4:30 and straight into bed. I cannot sleep very well and end up getting up at 5:30 and leave the house at 6:30. I get to the factory an hour later and start to get ready for this Introduction day for this new chipper as well as start to get ready and loaded for being away all next week. After these chaps have been along, I had arranged to return a unit to Wellingborough and collect their other unit as that needs checking over as that one too had issues.

My Dealer people turn up along with three uninvited people. If I could have got in first, I would have politely guided them away as it was not intended to be an open event with some ruffian customers! But we managed, a good introduction and a good performance from the new unit, I like it and hope it sells well. At one point, one of these uninvited lads reports that it is now where near as good as his current machine in terms of blowing the chips a distance. My boss calmly says , "Fetch that hired machine from the workshop then". I put a similar amount into it and the difference in performance is negligable! Winner!!!

After they disappear, I head out to Wellingborough, I hadn't gone two miles when the brakes fail on the trailer! A quick risk assessment tells me to return to base. But Sales Reps attitude, diary and promises make me drive on....The trailer weighs some 2700kgs and no brakes - I'm looking very far ahead to anticipate everything! Drop the unit at Wellingborough and head back.

I had arranged to carry the new machine around Scotland on this trailer as it has an electric winch, but now got to swap for some ropey old cast off with manual winch! Bizarrely, I cannot tow this new machine as it hasn't been Homologated yet and is therefore not towable - despite it having off the shelf tow equipment and a standard sort of thing!

Get that done and the try to get hold of the woman who has brought some of the Q7 stuff that I refused to leave in the car. She never rang so I head the hour drive home. She rang and arranged to come in a fortnights time.

Home empty as Caz on her last 16:30-04:30 until early Monday! Now having a glass of Chardonnay and watching a pretty dire match between Sale Sharks and Bath - not over inspiring....

Caz came in at 4:30 and we slept until about 8:30, I made the obligatory cup of tea, slept for another hour and got up. She got up a couple of hours later and we set off for Retford to get new terrace house. Put some furniture in and collected the fog from her parents bto try and get him used to town life. He is a country Alsation and not used to town life!

The Discovery has stood since last weekend and the battery was flat which started okay but still worries me for tomorrow! Black cars are a pain, the dust in the rain has left it looking unkempt too!

An easy day with no time for DIY or any activity! Sat here with a large stuff gin and tripe on TV. On but of bad news, Leicester Tigers lost to Bristol today - gutted!

Ha! Not seen Nige for some time but used to have an account with Simpson's thirty odd yesrs ago when they were a little Ag and feed merchant!

The day started slowly and quietly after a very late night and a fair measure of some Kalahari Gin! By the time we collected the the country GSD, we had a couple of visitors at the town house. Joe, Caz's son, had arrived on the Sheffield train after a night on the make haste. He looked rough and lay on the sofa! Caz's sister and husband also appeared so we took country dog for a walk around town and the canal. As he doesn't get out much, every vertical had to be sniffed and wetted!

We got back and Jan and Hassan left. A bowl of soup later and the rugby was on but I fell asleep for the first half! We then went back to Caz's parents to spend time with them.

Now back in Shepshed, contemplating the week ahead. Filled the truck up and might have to do a tank a day this week!

He's a great character, just to come up here alot and bring all the latest toys (night vision /thermal imagers )Not been in the best of health for some time. Cheers Em

The day started well enough and got away on time. My colleague from the factory was content to let me drive too! I did leave my front door keys in the door, locked, but thankfully, I'm blessed with good neighbours. Off we trundled..... Caz was away for a short shift of 04 -08 and I won't she her again until she wakes up on Saturday morning - we talk via txt message from now on.....it's a modern thing I'm told....

Got to Haddington to the dealers there and glad that the main man and five of his staff were to have the introduction to the new machine. Two were absent but I'll catch them another time. A good intro as when we got new stuff in the past, they found out when a new brochure landed on the mat! Good to pass time with them all and they genuinely like the machine and want to sell more us.

We head off to a premier inn at Dundee and while in the carpark, have a quick look at the machine. Already found a couple of faults that wel will have to gloss over during the next few days! Also got an email from the firm that had an expensive machine turned back to them after some issues. Took it to site and it over heated - most frustrating as I want to get into them in a big way and my competitors have got shorted delivery times, cheaper machines and non of them has yet broken down!

Oh well, time for a beer and some steak!

Had a txt from Caz in the small hours - she went to go to work and the Discovery 4 has a flat battery! And it was parked in front of her Mini. Not happy! She has been on an annualised hours contract and managed to get a permanent contract and on her second official shift, she has to call in with the excuse! First time ever that she has not turned out! The thing needs a new battery.....

Spencer and I head of to Forfar, meet the dealer staff and have a good catch up there. Then head off again up the Aberdeen road to Edzell then turn right and shortly turn into a field to do the next Introduction. It goes well and all present like it and it and comment on the quietness, power and throw of woodchips - all are things that we wanted to achieve.

We then take a leisure route through the land with some stunning scenery, Banchory, Ballater, Lecht Ski Centre, Tomintoul, blah blah blah to catch the A9 and into Inverness. We get to the big Tesco out on the Elgin side to grab a sandwich. From the start of this jaunt, I have though and commented on how bad the brakes are on the trailer. We decide of one or two close shaves to have a look. We remove the chipper and jack up the trailer. The first wheel adjusts up okay, while the next three are either stuck or there is no shoe material and we are metal to metal. Great! At the furthest point from home and we discover this....Soldier on gently.

Overnight at The Royal Hotel in Cromarty. A fantastic spot run by a bubbly local girl called Jenny. Good local food and good local beer. Cromarty Firth is a distinct place with half a dozen oil rigs parked up as it has a decent depth and shelter from rough seas. Go to Google Earth and have a street view!

If you had the time a visit to the Cromarty gun batteries would worthwhile. The Sutors are really interesting, and just round the corner from where you are.

I used to live in Cullicudden years ago, not far from where you are now. The rigs in the firth used to remind me of Xmas trees at night. Not as many there now as there was.

Where are you off to next?

The Sutors Restaurant? One of the top six places to eat in Scotland according to one newspaper review? Had a fantastic pizza there the other year. Cromarty is a good spot indeed! Have seen 13 rigs in the Firth before now.

Tomorrow? See tomorrow's post!

There are many spots like this around the UK, get to see them before they are gone.... I do like Cromarty, Black Isle Blond and Black Isle Beef!

Smoked Haddock and poached eggs for breakfast was a treat. The we head of towards the Dingwall Viaduct, through Dingwall and out on the Ullapool Road to Contin. We managed to get the Dealer in Inverness to arrange a spot at the Forestry Commission spot there. Good people who wanted to help.

I thanked then and the dealer for the place and their help, and more importantly, putting time aside for us. The Intro went well and again, I'm happy with the response and also the machine- it is a delight to have a machine that I don't have to 'sell', not that I am worried about our range anyhow! The Highlands and indeed, most of Scotland have truly magic scenery but I have to have in mind that I'm not a tourist but there to sell stuff and turn revenue around!

Once done there, we take the A9 south. We get to Inverness with a quarter of a tank of fuel and knowing that fuel stops are few and far between, we gas up in town and carry on. Perth is the next step in the SatNag but at over 100 miles away! We do some guessing and talking and head straight to Paisley to get to the Hotel. Spencer and I have a load of calls to make relevant to our jobs and emails to be done. So some WiFi time is good.

Caz and talk via txt and seeing each other and just having a hug will be good....

I might have upset my colleague today. As the 'old Man' in the company, I generally have my finger on the pulse and have been described to all UK dealers as the 'got to' for help and info. One of my dealers wants help, he has been asked for help to source....I give him some help and a deal is done with another dealer (both mine) and a deal is done and subsequently a user gets a call and he avoids a long wait! But, he is in my colleagues patch and two of his dealers never bothered to call me and missed out! I feel awkward, but had they phoned me, they would have had the same help! My colleague and I dont get on which is unhelpful but in my defense, he is a classic case of SNAFU and FUBAR. He makes so many bad calls thinking he is right, will not accept that others know more than him, will not accept help or advice that he hinders business - such a shame....

The overnight in the Premier Inn at Paisley, just away from the Airport was a stay in a Premier Inn! At one point, I had to think, "Where are we tonight?". Tonight, we are in another Premier Inn in Preston. Soon be time for a beer too - it seems a long week at times and the first decent cup of tea was made by me at our Dealers spot in Bishopton this morning!

On of the reps here lives on Bute, so has to catch a ferry every day back to the mainland and then home again at night! One of the ferries is badly and away to be repaired, the other ferry cannot park up over night against the harbour so that has screwed up the departure times. He has to leave at 06:30 every day until late June! Any hows, he and the other staff who want to see the new chipper take us to the designated spot. The Mar Hall Hotel/Spa/Golf Club on the banks of the Clyde. Sweet spot and local wedding venue etc. We do our job with the wood chipper and again it is well received. The signs are all good for this new machine, hopefully, the show reveal will be exciting and we sell a few!

We then called at a Network Rail spot at Glasgow and a big contractor in Drumclog - do our bit there and keep heading south. We stop for lunch at the old Cairn Lodge Service on the M74. What a place compared to the dodgy old joint it used to be. Run by the same people (I think) who run Tebay and the opposite side on Shap too. Expensive, but quality and clean too. Far better than the usual fare of Greggs, Costa, Starbuck, BK, McD's etc....

I got a message back from my colleague ref the chipper that has gone into his patch. He is fine with it as it is a 2nd hand machine and for my info, his dealers had not priced it up this year. He is yet to understand that they quoted for it on Monday and that it is new/old stock! I'll let him believe that that is the way...

Now, time for that beer and some food!

Finally finished chuffing about and collapsed with a glass of wine!

Started out from Preston this morning - a few light giggles with the staff added to the fun - they say that they'll remember me, wished I was 25 years younger and single maybe? (Not serious though - happy with my lot).

Because we got this new machine on a trailer - it isn't a good thing to call on customers as this is supposed to be a shocker at the Arb Show at Westonbirt Arboretum on the 17th May, so no cold calling and no 'bobbing in to see you'. Totally alien activity to a rep! Our appointment at our Lancashire dealers is not until after dinner so we have to sit about until then, and worry about the weather. It rains, we fill up the car, drive about in the rain, go for a pee in Tesco, have a coffee until the alloted hour.

These are a good bunch of folk who gel with us and appreciate all we are doing. They are also very experienced sales people and know chippers. After my speel, the have some gnarly old hawthorn to chip, we do that, they fetch some more. We do that. They are enthusiastic! They are going to embrace it as it outperforms our competition and is right priced. Bonus!

Spencer and I head back to Shepshed to collect his car and go our different ways. I cannot believe it, the M6 was traffic free! Almost all the way from Bamber Bridge end down to the A500 free! The that is free! Then the A50 through Stoke is fine! One of the quickest trips! Spencer grabs his car and heads to Worcester. I head for the factory to swap trailers for one that has brakes then head home, getting here soon after 20:30. Put the Discovery battery on charge and cook a Pizza. Box on, glass in hand and Tigers loosing to 'Quins......Pah!

Caz came home in the dawn and it was good to see her! After I got up, I left her there asleep. I had to go to Stoke to get a rug for her but had to make haste as a chap was going to collect an 82" ride that I was flogging and it was in North Nottinghamshire. Caz was just getting up when I got back so lobbed a load of stuff in the Discovery and left her to it while I raced off to see to the mower!

That transaction and collection went well and once done, I raced off in the Discovery to the garage that sold it. They fitted another battery and hopefully, that will be the end of the myther!

Once back, the dog got a walk and we went back to Retford and after supper, off to The Brew Shed for some craft beer, I enjoyed a stiff gin! We stopped at a social club on our street out if curiosity. Cheap beer and a welcoming group of pensioners! I could people watch/listen for hours! I'm 55 and we lowered the average age by some measure!

A lazy start to the day, I didn't sleep over well - strange bed, too hot and not enough pillows! After a little dodging about we chucked Woody, the 2yo Alsation into the Discovery and headed for Ollerton Pit Woods. It will be good when he calms down and will return if whistled or shouted! Until that happens, a long lead is used. Being a country dog and young too, everything is new and exciting!

We then went back to Cobwell Street, ate a late lunch and Caz is making a curry for tea. Her parents and son are coming around! It has to be said that I took a nap!

Bit of eBay dreaming going on at the moment, looking for a set of wheels in black, preferably with good treads, mats and dog guard! Oh, and a modified or at least quick, car that I can thrash down Santa Pod half a dozen times a year. Got to dhedca few other projects first. Sold the mower and saw bench, just need to get rid of a Focus, Hot Rod and Corsa!

Back
Top Bottom