• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

National treasures

Who decides when or why a person becomes a national treasure?
Just wondering because I have heard the label used to describe a couple of people that barely seem to fit any kind of criteria.
They being Jo Brand and Alan Carr
Our wonderful media I suppose .
It seems you become a celebrity by appearing on numerous tv game shows, chat shows etc. Having seen adverts for celebrity “whatever” I often cannot recognise any or many of them .
The two you mention are annoying and far from treasure in my mind .

Well that's disappointing, I was expecting a discussion about the Elgin Marbles, not a pair of lefty gobsh!tes.
Another example of British theft of antiquities from other cultures and the attitude expressed by some members of the British museum is reprehensible.
"There is no question of them ever being returned, the very idea is ridiculous"

Does a national treasure have to be alive?

Eric Morecambe
Eric Sykes
Norman Wisdom
Ronnie Barker
Alistair Sim
Margaret Rutherford
Joyce Grenfell

Actually, that list is just comic actors, and that could be pretty endless. I could just keep going, before even starting on serious actors and actresses.

Which, raises an interesting point about actors from the 40's 50's and 60's. You can name them, you remember what films they were in, have fond memories of the films...

David Niven,
Cary Grant,
Audrey Hepburn....

Again, could just go on..... How many modern actors could you say that about?

I honestly can't think of many modern day national treasures

Michael Palin
Brian Cox maybe....

Sign of the times!

Not everybody’s cuppa tea ,but Dave Allen , think he’s one of the best there has ever been , his sketches back in the day were close to the bone ,god knows if he was around now what he would thing

to be revered in your lifetime for who you are and what you have achieved without seeking to be so regarded is a prerequisite, in my book to be given the etherial accolade of 'national treasure'.
That rules out, imho most singing and dancing folk.

Alan Bennett, John Lydon and Dickie Bird are the sort that dont seek to be anything special so would fit the bill to be so regarded,
give it a few more years and Grayson Perry may qualify.

Back
Top Bottom