• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

New galvanised chassis being fitted....do I need any further protection?

I'm about to get a new Marsland chassis fitted to my TD5 SWB, so the original chassis no etc will all be retained.

The company doing it have suggested getting it powder coated so it looks original colour, but they say not to put any further protection on it as it just isn't worth it as it's galvanised.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions (Dinitrol etc?) or if it's not worth the effort as it's galvanised?

Thanks!

The galvanising (zinc coating) protects the steel from corrosion as it acts as a sacrificial anode. There's not much to be gained by painting it as well other than to hide the galvanised finish, colour matching, or to be anxiety free of having taken a belt-and-braces approach. If you are concerned that the zinc isn't enough on its own, you could spray or brush on a a coat of oil (anything will do other than old contaminated engine oil); however, the zinc should be good for the next 50+ years without anything extra. Problems only really arise if the zinc coating is ground off for welding/repairs and the steel exposed, but even small drilled holes, etc., are not a problem as the zinc surrounding them protects them.

Galvanising is not infallible though a stone chip or damage done while off road can break that protective layer and let water in.
Some people suggest that exposed galvanised chassis is a heightened risk of theft do to the vehicle being more desirable.
Personally I'd get the chassis done in black just so it's got some extra protection and I think the black is more appropriate for a Land Rover. Not sure powder coating is the best though as it can blow and flake off if water gers under it. A good paint would be best In my opinion.
But at then end of the day you should do what you're happiest with.

I wouldnt go with powder coating on a chassis. Its one of the most vulnerable parts of the vehicle to be subjected to rocks etc and any damage to the powder coating can allow water underneath.
OK, so can paint etc, but powder coating seems to disguise whatever corrosion is going on underneath it until its got quite bad.
At least paint will bubble a bit more visibly. Sounds a lot of expense for something thats not a huge improvement.
I would leave it galvanised unless you want to disguise the value...

Galvanising is not infallible though a stone chip or damage done while off road can break that protective layer and let water in.

No it's not, but the way that the zinc does its job is to act as a sacrificial cathode in the galvanic corrosion process, so stone chips, etc., are not really a problem per se.

"Where continuity of the galvanised coating is broken by cut edges, drilled holes or surface damage, small areas of exposed steel are protected from corrosion cathodically by the surrounding coating. No touch up is necessary, and cathodic or sacrificial protection continues for many years. In service, zinc corrosion product tends to build up in coating discontinuities, slowing the rate at which the surrounding coating is consumed in protecting a damaged area."

No it's not, but the way that the zinc does its job is to act as a sacrificial cathode in the galvanic corrosion process, so stone chips, etc., are not really a problem per se.

"Where continuity of the galvanised coating is broken by cut edges, drilled holes or surface damage, small areas of exposed steel are protected from corrosion cathodically by the surrounding coating. No touch up is necessary, and cathodic or sacrificial protection continues for many years. In service, zinc corrosion product tends to build up in coating discontinuities, slowing the rate at which the surrounding coating is consumed in protecting a damaged area."
While this may be true in theory it isn't always true in reality. I once saw a TD5 on a galvanised chassis up on a ramp at the local Land Rover guy the chassis was good on the whole but you could see areas where corrosion had set in. The galvanising had also faded to a pale grey colour rather than the nice shiny zinc finish it started life with.
Are there different quality finishes of galvanising? Does some last better than others?

The galvanising had also faded to a pale grey colour
That's all part of its protective qualities, it gains a dull surface layer that further inhibits breakdown and corrosion of the steel.

Problems arise where the zinc coating is too thin, or there are gaps where water can ingress, the rot does then start to set in. A good quality, thick hot dip coating should give a chassis a good 50+ years. Obviously poor quality galvanising will be susceptible to rot, so it matters where and who you buy from.

Did mine in Dulux black gutter paint, over five years and still looked good, even jet washed it. I did key the galv with some patio cleaner first though to make it stick.

Attachments

• IMAG0002 (7).JPG
    IMAG0002 (7).JPG
    486 KB · Views: 25
I had a replacement Richards galvanised chassis getting on for 15 years ago (Defender 200tdi).

I have never put anything on it and it is still totally corrosion free and I live literally yards from the coast and often go through seawater flooded lanes.

Mind you the axles are rotten through along with just about everything that is connected to the chassis......

My Richards galv chassis has been on for 10 years now, never treated it and its now a nice dull grey - looks original, and although when new it was lovely and shiny, it's now no longer appealing to thieving scum.
I was always under the impression that the galv process was good enough, so left it at that.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, it's good to get a crossection of opinions on the forum, I personally thought the powdercoating might not stand up to much but I do want to disguise the fact it's got a galv chassis. `looking forward to not having to sweat every time it goes in for an MOT though, that was getting expensive anyway!!
I also like having the original chassis no on it.

I'm very impressed with Lanoguard which I used to protect a new fuel tank last year. I also have a few mates who have used this to coat the chassis on new pickups. It's standing up to wear and it's dead easy to apply yourself.

I'm very impressed with Lanoguard which I used to protect a new fuel tank last year. I also have a few mates who have used this to coat the chassis on new pickups. It's standing up to wear and it's dead easy to apply yourself.

Any spray-on grease will do the job. Needs to be done annually though.

I was looking to treat my axles with Lanoguard and I noticed on their Faq's that they don't recommend using it on anything that is galvanised so will have to keep it away from my Richards chassis...

Back
Top Bottom