• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

JuneDiscovery

In Third Gear
Hi all,
Land Rover Discovery 2004 owner here, my first Landy I’ve owned but grew up with defenders which I absolutely loved however thought a disco would be better as I’ve got a young baby. It’s a bit of a fixer upper as is and the plan is to try and do as much myself as possible to keep it trundling on for the foreseeable future. We’ve got the full history on it and my parents owned it up until Feb this year for the past 8-10 years. Any help or advice for keeping my Landy happy and on the road will be appreciated.
Thanks all, H

Welcome to the forum. Some pics of the vehicle would be nice (we like pics).
Full history is good. Is there anything that you know about (or any advisories from the last MOT) that you think you need to attend to..?

Welcome to the forum. Some pics of the vehicle would be nice (we like pics).
Full history is good. Is there anything that you know about (or any advisories from the last MOT) that you think you need to attend to..?
I know I’ve got to fix some rust spots and probably replace all of the seals for the doors. I’ll have to find the sheet this evening and see what else is on my list. I’ll grab some pics in a bit when I take the dog out. Oh also it’s got a sheet of rubber on the roof because it leaked and my mum couldn’t figure out how to stop it after a couple trips to the garage. It would have a sun roof if it didn’t have the rubber on top, but I don’t know if it would be functional.
Thanks, H

Welcome aboard!

Sunroof leaks are a common thing on the earlier Discovery's, covering it over is a novel approach.

Find the rap sheet (advisories) and you'll find plenty of advice for the fixes here. How handy are you with the tools?

So this is my first time doing it myself to be honest. I’ve been the ‘take it to the garage’ type with my old cars but I’ve always wanted to learn to do it myself and so I’ve basically just chucked myself in the deep end. I’ve got friends who are mechanics for if I want them to check it over but I’d really like to do it myself because I’m hoping to convert a minibus into a camper in the future and figure this will be great experience.

I also really want a defender when my little one is older, it was the main car we had when I was growing up and I loved it, I do remember they often need a lot of tinkering done though. Our initial one had a bungee on the door because it swung open on roundabouts 😂.

Another issue I’ve got atm is my brother lost the logbook to it when he was borrowing it so stuff like fixing the radio and such is a bit difficult.

Weirdly the leak wasn’t at the sunroof part it was in the corners of the main roof, it’s dry now so the rubber seems to be doing the trick.

Thanks, H

Back
Top Bottom