• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

oil on glow plug

Snappercat

First Gear
Checking the glow plugs on my Disco 300 TDI yesterday, found engine oil on plug into cylinder 2. Thinking this might be piston rings or leaking around valve stems. Booked it into my local garage for a compression check next week. Anyone got any other ideas?

Welcome to the forum Snappercat, you are probably in the right place. Two new members in as many hours! In fact I can't help you with this one much, but there are plenty of others who will be along in a while.

Although Jon V8 is the expert systems man, this one sounds like a 'diesel' problem so, one of the real dieselheads - like Templ4r - will probably put you in the picture.

Welcome aboard again.

Roger.

Is the engine using any oil? Does it have a misfire?

If the glow plug tip was covered in Black oil, then it would be from a cylinder with low compression, or it would be burned off. That would also give a lot of Tailpipe smoke as fuel would be injected but not fire and burn. The sump would be filling with Diesel, is the level high?

If it's just a bit oily on the tip, it could be because the Glow plug isn't working. It isn't just around the plug itself, is it?

When the Garage does the Test, they should be able to give you a better idea of where to look.

Chris

mine did the same earlier in the year, no 3 cylinder. replaced the glowplugs thats how i found it. i'd left it overnight to so almost as iff the oil had ran in from somewhere ?. dont see how bit of a mystery, since then been cornwall twice towing me van, must have done 6,000 mile since then, no power loss no usage of oil, no smoke unless i cane it but thats deisel smoke, let us know what they find iff anything. alan.....

Back
Top Bottom