• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Oil Service.

Macamx

In Third Gear
Just covered 3k miles of varied running and on checking the oil today whilst the level was good the oil was very black. As I hope to keep the car for the “long term” what would be the informed view with regards to sticking with the scheduled 20k intervals or to carry out an intermediate oil change at 10k.

Someone mentioned a while back that you could send a sample of oil to get tested. Could be worth finding out the cause and whether there are excessive metal or soot deposits etc if you think its got black too soon.

I think the extended oil change intervals on newer vehicles are wildly optimistic. You certainly wont do any harm by changing oil more regularly (except to your wallet).

Totally in agreement re optimistic change intervals mikeau. I know it's "old school" but I have always changed engine oil and filters every 6K miles and gearbox/axle oils every 2 years on road vehicles. All my tractors and diggers are done in April every year.

My take on this is similar to the above comments.. If you intend keeping the vehicle and want the best out of the engine then the manufacture recommendations are not what you need..
They appeal to folk as a marketing thing..
Ohhh look it only needs it's service every 20000/30000 miles.. 🙄.. Really..
Modern oils may have improved but not to that extent..
And will undoubtedly get the vehicle through the warrenty period and that's all they are bothered about👍..

Back
Top Bottom