• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now
  • Hi Guest,

We restrict posting in the sales areas to members who have made more than 10 posts and been registered here for more than 10 days, this is to help reduce the amount of scammers and fraudsters who may join up for that purpose.

Once you meet the requirements you will be given the ability to post in here.

Pennine autos bradford

Yelt92

In Second Gear
Stay clear of these robers sold me a unworthy landrover With 12 months mot and tax only to find 6 months down the line it needs a new bulkhead and I was told by the bloke at my local garage that this landrover should not have past an mot the amount of corrosion on the bulkhead is more than 6 months worth of rot these dodgy *******s are passing unfit vehicles for road use stay clear you have been warned now

I totally agree with you!

All sorts of promisses and what do you get, but nothing in return.

Don't believe the advert on their website as not much of it is true.

Car Serviced! Only got an oil change and no proof the oil filter was changed. Full 12 months MOT and all work and advisories would be done! I was told it failed, but they didn't know why and no advisories, but the prior MOT had advisories and the the same advisories still there when I had it retested the week after purchase. ( also failed as split in rear tyre down to metal and had received tyre paint over it..! They obviously know their MOT station well...
Full Valet! dream on still had green moss and dirt on the roof, engine bay hadn't been touched and the ashtrays in the back were full. Safety check! had to replace the front pads the week after as binding badly and nearly down to the metal. Rear window not working! window had been disconnected as would only go down, still waiting for a phone call as their Electro engineer to be free????????? Track Rod End! was worn on prior Mot and same on Mine after purchase, so they agreed to replace it.... Guess what? Had to go straight back as engineer had fit back plate with hammer and blamed it on rust between disc and pads... Still waiting for contact for them to complete this work as well. have now sent about 6 emails, replied to one and one by phone, it appears they are no longer interested.. Shame really for them as their contract with me has not been fulfilled! I may of course got very thing completely wrong and they might get it all sorted? I will let you know..............

Advert states all vehicles receive underseal before collection by the new owner! My Range Rover didn't and on asking was told by "Mark" that (their head mechanic informed him that there was no point in doing Range Rovers as there is so much plastic underneath that it's a waste of time..) They did do it when I took it back..
PS wish I'd found this site before my purchase..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi i recently bought a Land Rover from Pennine Auto's in January 2015, I went to view the car and was happy with the car and finalised the payment. I was informed that I would have to wait a week to pick the car up as there was a number of things that needed to be completed on the car such as a service and the brakes doing. The company also informed me that it had just been through the MOT and had passed. The MOT was not completed and runs out in November 2015, so the company lied, only that trading standard needed the information I realised this.

A week later I went to pick the car up and was informed that the V5 was not available and the company was requesting a new V5. The company also stated that the second key was with the Land rover main dealer and they would obtain this and have it sent by courier to me. After numerous emails and over 45 phone calls, I still have not received my second key, I have been informed by the company a number of different tales, that it's been sent recorded delivery to me, it's at the main dealership.

i was unable to drive the car for four weeks as 6 weeks after purchasing the land rover the tax ran out and due to me still not having a V5 I was unable to tax or drive the car. I contacted the DVLA and was informed that until they received confirmation that the car had changed ownership, I could not tax the car. I then received a V62 that Pennine Auto's asking me to fill in the chassis number and requested me to fill it and forward it onto the DVLA. the DVLA informed me not to drive the car at all.

I am still awaiting my second key and I have not had any response to two letters I have sent to them recorded delivery. I have been in touch with trading standards due to the incompetences of this company.

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY - DO NOT PURCHASE A VEHICLE FROM THESE COWBOYS.

the company do not respond to emails or letters and when you ring them they either ignore you completely and if they recognise your number they make numerous excuses why the boss is not there.

This company is quick enough to take your money but does not have good customer relations post purchase.

Trading standards are aware of this company.

Biggest mistake of my life buying a landrover from these cowboys...
Many faults came to light within hours of me driving it. Bodged gearbox cooler pipe. ( held on with jubilee clips ) which came off on motorway, causing it to loose it's gearbox oil on M62...
Fully serviced vehicles.... This is a joke.
Fuel filter was the same one, air filter was black. I could go on and on.
I would VERY STRONGLY advise people to stay away from these people.
Cut corners, when you try and stand up to them they threaten you with their solicitor...

I had the same problem with my v5 when purchasing from these the tax had ran out and the v5 was not to hand so it had to sit at there garage until it arrived from were ever around 4 weeks or so I was waiting I also had new all terrain tyres fitted and a new rear door as the old one was rusted badly the old door had heated glass and a wiper and door card they swapped it for a new plain door with none of the old factory fitted attachments on probably couldn't be bothered to fit them back on but at least I got a new back door I also found out the tyres I thought were new were later remoulds the clutch also went 3 weeks after finally getting it home and I was told it was not covered by there warranty. I hope trading standards do get on to these cowboys

Stay clear of these robers sold me a unworthy landrover With 12 months mot and tax only to find 6 months down the line it needs a new bulkhead and I was told by the bloke at my local garage that this landrover should not have past an mot the amount of corrosion on the bulkhead is more than 6 months worth of rot these dodgy *******s are passing unfit vehicles for road use stay clear you have been warned now

I had the same problem with my v5 when purchasing from these the tax had ran out and the v5 was not to hand so it had to sit at there garage until it arrived from were ever around 4 weeks or so I was waiting I also had new all terrain tyres fitted and a new rear door as the old one was rusted badly the old door had heated glass and a wiper and door card they swapped it for a new plain door with none of the old factory fitted attachments on probably couldn't be bothered to fit them back on but at least I got a new back door I also found out the tyres I thought were new were later remoulds the clutch also went 3 weeks after finally getting it home and I was told it was not covered by there warranty. I hope trading standards do get on to these cowboys

Yelt92, rather than just joining to start a thread whingeing about poor service from a dealer, most people join this forum to share in the joys and woes of Land Rover ownership and/or ask advice and they usually take the trouble to complete their profiles, say "Hi" and introduce themselves and post a picture of their pride and joy/bane of their life.

AFAIK, Trading Standards officers don't spend their days trawling interweb forums looking for dealers to investigate so if you really feel that you have been sold an unroadworthy vehicle and hope that "trading standards do get on to these cowboys" then it is up to you to tell them - I'm sure people on here would be far more interested in hearing about the outcome of action taken by Trading Standards rather than just some anonymous and unsubstantiated whinge - for all we know you and the other three people who have joined just to post on this thread could all be aliases of Big Bill from Big Bill's Bradford 4x4 Emporium trying to rubbish a competitor! ;)

Regardless of what Trading Standards do or what the warranty covers, anything sold by a dealer to a consumer has to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 - ie (1) be of satisfactory quality, (2) fit for its intended purpose and (3) as described.

Plenty of free advice on the web and the link below is as good as any and if you follow the advice (particularly regarding timescales and getting independent evidence) then if the defects were as you say they were, there is no reason why you could not have got the work done, compensation and possibly a full refund with or without the need for help from Citizen's Advice or a local solicitor.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-car-you-bought/the-car-you-bought-is-faulty/

If you paid for your vehicle with a credit card or some other kinds of finance arrangement then you also have the possibility of getting your credit company involved if the dealer won't play ball. More useful free advice on the link below.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Anyway welcome to Yelt92 and three other new(ish) forum members it is a great forum to share information and get advice - please take the time to fill in your profiles and post something about yourself and your Land Rovers in the "Introduce Yourself" section and join in the positive side of the forum. :cool:

I purchased a vehicle from Pennine Autos in Bradford, it is not an experience I would choose to repeat nor would I recommend them to anyone else.

To summarise my experience....

1. I purchased a vehicle (at distance) from Pennine Autos, Bradford.

2. As delivered the vehicle was deemed to be of unsatisfactory quality and not as described.

3. I spoke with them about the issues and after some debate agreed upon a resolution which they subsequently failed to provide.

4. I cancelled the order and requested a full refund which they ignored.

5. I sent a couple of follow up letters which they ignored.

6. I sent a letter before action which they ignored.

7. I proceeded with legal action against them which seemed to prompt a reversal in policy from them as they stopped ignoring me and seemed quite keen to discuss matters.

In the end, a week after starting legal action I had received a full refund for the purchase price of the vehicle inclusive of delivery costs, reimbursement of all expenses and a small amount of compensation for the inconvenience of the whole scenario.

From my own experience in dealing with Pennine Autos I am of the opinion that, unless forced through legal action, they have no intent in providing any form of after sales service/support.

I have attached the Particulars of Claim should anyone be interested in slightly more detail. And to preempt the question that normally arises, the DVLA fine was £80 but was reduced to £40 for prompt payment (which I took) hence the total of £59.17 rather than £99.17

Hi everyone, I wish I had seen your forum before buying a vehicle from Pennine Autos. I had looked around at loads of Land Rovers, the bad and the ugly, you will all know what I mean !
I thought I had found the one, 1 owner, right mileage, top spec and in the condition to match the top price I paid.
As other members have written, I also had to wait a week, for a Mot, service, new cam belts and under seal!
After only having the car 2 days, IT Rained ! All 3 sunroof windows let water in like a sieve !!!
The car was returned to Pennine Autos for repairs ASAP, it also needed 2 other repairs as well.
Some days later I was told the car was ready for collection, problems sorted! Well no! The 2 smaller jobs done sort of ok. So this was the HSE model opening sunroof,
No! No! No! Pennine autos had disconnected the sunroof and sealed it in with black Silicone !!!
'I could not believe it'
I then spoke to the Citizens Advise, they told me I could ask for a full and complete refund under the faulty goods act and not to a satisfactory quality, it was within 30 days money back.
I went straight back to Pennine autos and asked for a refund, the said NO and they needed time, so this went on over the Christmas break, I asked again for my money back they still said No, I sent them emails and asked them again for a refund, they still said No.
I was told by Citizens Advise to report them to Visa card Cash back, which I have done, they also said it is a criminal offence not to give a refund!!!
This is on going so if anyone has any pointers please post.

Hi everyone, I wish I had seen your forum before buying a vehicle from Pennine Autos. I had looked around at loads of Land Rovers, the bad and the ugly, you will all know what I mean !
I thought I had found the one, 1 owner, right mileage, top spec and in the condition to match the top price I paid.
As other members have written, I also had to wait a week, for a Mot, service, new cam belts and under seal!
After only having the car 2 days, IT Rained ! All 3 sunroof windows let water in like a sieve !!!
The car was returned to Pennine Autos for repairs ASAP, it also needed 2 other repairs as well.
Some days later I was told the car was ready for collection, problems sorted! Well no! The 2 smaller jobs done sort of ok. So this was the HSE model opening sunroof,
No! No! No! Pennine autos had disconnected the sunroof and sealed it in with black Silicone !!!
'I could not believe it'
I then spoke to the Citizens Advise, they told me I could ask for a full and complete refund under the faulty goods act and not to a satisfactory quality, it was within 30 days money back.
I went straight back to Pennine autos and asked for a refund, the said NO and they needed time, so this went on over the Christmas break, I asked again for my money back they still said No, I sent them emails and asked them again for a refund, they still said No.
I was told by Citizens Advise to report them to Visa card Cash back, which I have done, they also said it is a criminal offence not to give a refund!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully when you have the Land Rover of your dreams, you will become a regular forum member sharing the joys (and occasional pitfalls) of Land Rover ownership!:)

If on the other hand, your sole purpose of joining this forum and posting was to publicise your grievance against this dealer then I guess you have achieved what you set out to do.

I have never dealt with Pennine Autos, have not seen the vehicle and have no idea who you are or whether what you say is true (I'm a bit sceptical about the advice you say you have had about the "Faulty Goods Act" and this being a "criminal offence" - there is a difference between a breach of contract or legal duty and a crime!) but there is very clear guidance on the CAB website setting out step by step what you need to do to pursue a claim against a dealer if a used car is defective.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-used-car/

You certainly have the right to have any defects (that were not drawn to you attention) properly repaired but if you want to reject the car and claim a full refund for what in the great scheme of Land Rover ownership is a minor defect (I assume that you have not bought a Defender - there is a reason why waterproof seat covers are popular with Defender owners!) read the advice carefully and act promptly.

Be aware that there are subtle but important differences your rights under any warranty you have and your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act.

If you have used a credit card or finance to buy the vehicle you may have additional remedies but be aware there are differences between debit cards, credit cards, HP and other forms of credit so work out what you used and follow the relevant advice.

The CAB guidance should give the average lay person all they need to deal with situations like this but if you don't fancy doing it then as you are lucky enough to be able to pay "top price" for a "top spec" motor then you should be able to pay for some professional legal advice to get it sorted.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your quick response, with that advise. I know there is great comerardory between Landy owners, and yes I hope anyone thinking about buying a Landrover will ask all the right questions and use their own judgement.
I needed a vehicle to tow 3500, so went for Disco 3 HSE model.
I think if any motor trader had said included in their sales pitch, yes this car has a panoramic roof and electric front sunroof, but I'm sorry it leaks a lot! Bring it back and we'll seal it Up!!!
I would have walked away.
Buyers beware.

'I could not believe it'

I'm not quite sure about the accuracy of the advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau as there is no such thing as the faulty goods act (they're probably referring to the Consumer Protection Act 2015), refusing to issue a refund would not be considered a criminal offence, if it ended up in court it would be a civil rather than criminal hearing.

From the little detail you have given it sounds like you have exercised your right to a repair under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 [Part 1, Chapter 2, section 19(3)(b)] however, that repair did not address the issue and the fault(s) remain so you are now trying to reject the goods for a full refund under Consumer Protection Act 2015 [Part 1, Chapter 2, section 19(3)(a)].

Without the full details I cannot say with absolute certainty, however, if your refund request was made clear to the trader within the first 30 days of taking initial collection of the vehicle then you are most likely entitled to reject the goods for a full refund under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 due to the fault(s) present. After 30 days, and depending on circumstances, you may still be entitled to reject the goods for a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If you are happy with the vehicle other than the faults mentioned, you may (depending on time) still be able to pursue a repair under the Consumer Protection Act 2015 or (if 30 days has past) the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

If you intend to pursue a full refund I would advise you stop using the vehicle immediately as continuing to use the vehicle would most likely constitute acceptance of the goods and may invalidate your right to reject (but not to a repair or perhaps a partial refund).

This is all great in theory, however, when you end up dealing with a trader who refuses to recognise your consumer rights, the reality is the only person that will enforce those rights is yourself through legal action, don't expect any help from Trading Standards (it's not their remit, although some are more helpful than others) or much help from Citizens Advice Bureau.

From my own experience with Pennine Autos, it is unlikely they will resolve the issues unless forced to do so, if they've already declined your refund request I would not expect merely citing consumer law to yield any discernible result. I bought a vehicle from Pennine Autos which had some problems, they attempted to ignore me (I assume in the hope I would simply get bored and go away). In the end I did get a full refund plus fully compensated for all my quantifiable expenses and a further small amount of compensation for the inconvenience of the whole scenario, however, it was only after they were served with court papers did they make any attempt to contact me and resolve the issue.

VISA Chargeback (if it's an option for you) is a bit of a lucky dip from what I have seen of it. It is administered by the individual card issuers (banks) under VISA guidelines and they all seem to have differing interpretations of those guidelines. You would have to pursue it under reason code 53 "Goods not as described or defective" which, depending on circumstances, can be quite difficult to satisfy all required conditions even when the issues with the goods are seemingly black and white. Chargeback for debit cards when offered is based solely on VISA's guidelines and does not take into account consumer law at all.

If you paid any amount of the cost via credit card then you may have further protection and another possible avenue to a full refund.

From the little detail you have given it sounds like you have exercised your right to a repair under the Consumer Protection Act 2015

Hi Steve, its actually the Consumer Rights Act 2015 but you are absolutely correct (and I'm a bit rusty - which is why online advice from complete strangers should always be regarded with caution!) that since October 2015 consumers have had additional remedies - the CAB link in my previous post would (depending on the dates input) lead through to the relevant advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/a...e-consumer-work/the-consumer-rights-act-2015/

Sadly, if people's behaviour in real life corresponds with that in the online world, they generally seem to be far happier whingeing about the real or perceived wrongs they have suffered when buying new, used cars or replacement parts rather than "growing a pair" and exercising the quite formidable rights they have, or paying someone to do it for them! :rolleyes:

Hi Steve, its actually the Consumer Rights Act 2015

Hi,

Yes, I did mean the Consumer Rights Act 2015, thanks for the correction.

In many cases I think the perceived whingeing is nothing more than people venting their frustration. Not everybody is aware of their consumer rights or are only made aware of the finer details after time limitations when they could have been entitled to return the goods or receive a full refund have expired.

Sadly, there seems be many traders that are under the impression that their responsibility ceases as soon as they receive payment for the goods. If more businesses conducted themselves in a professional (or at least decent and honest) manner respectful of not just the customers statutory rights but also their own legal obligations then far fewer people would have the need to "grow a pair".

Having had first hand experience in purchasing a vehicle from Pennine Autos my experience is very similar to the others in this thread, nothing that has been posted in this thread so far surprises me, whether it is absolute fact free of exaggeration and/or embellishments I don't know but from my own experience I would suspect that everything posted to date is far closer to fact than fiction.

I would like to thank you for all your advise and helpful comments.

The conclusion to this matter is!

I have been refunded the price of the vehicle in full by Pennine Autos Ltd.

This could have been so much simpler, having returned the vehicle on the 21/12/15 after the botched repair job on the sunroofs. Which would have knocked thousands of pounds off the value of the car. It took a £360 solicitors letter threatening legal action for things to change for the better. I would hope this is a lesson learnt by Pennine autos.

This matter has cost me near on £750 in lost car tax, insurance and then solicitors costs.

With the Experiance I have had, my advise to anyone would be! Pay the deposit by credit card and balance by debit card.
Then go to a solicitor for help and legal advise ASAP.

I have tried to report this in a fair and accurate way.

Instead of coming on to here and moaning about me just look at how many people have replied to it I'm not the only one so do one. hopefully now when someone types in pennine autos into google or what ever they find this
:cool:

Yelt92, rather than just joining to start a thread whingeing about poor service from a dealer, most people join this forum to share in the joys and woes of Land Rover ownership and/or ask advice and they usually take the trouble to complete their profiles, say "Hi" and introduce themselves and post a picture of their pride and joy/bane of their life.

AFAIK, Trading Standards officers don't spend their days trawling interweb forums looking for dealers to investigate so if you really feel that you have been sold an unroadworthy vehicle and hope that "trading standards do get on to these cowboys" then it is up to you to tell them - I'm sure people on here would be far more interested in hearing about the outcome of action taken by Trading Standards rather than just some anonymous and unsubstantiated whinge - for all we know you and the other three people who have joined just to post on this thread could all be aliases of Big Bill from Big Bill's Bradford 4x4 Emporium trying to rubbish a competitor! ;)

Regardless of what Trading Standards do or what the warranty covers, anything sold by a dealer to a consumer has to comply with the Sale of Goods Act 1979 - ie (1) be of satisfactory quality, (2) fit for its intended purpose and (3) as described.

Plenty of free advice on the web and the link below is as good as any and if you follow the advice (particularly regarding timescales and getting independent evidence) then if the defects were as you say they were, there is no reason why you could not have got the work done, compensation and possibly a full refund with or without the need for help from Citizen's Advice or a local solicitor.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...-car-you-bought/the-car-you-bought-is-faulty/

If you paid for your vehicle with a credit card or some other kinds of finance arrangement then you also have the possibility of getting your credit company involved if the dealer won't play ball. More useful free advice on the link below.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Anyway welcome to Yelt92 and three other new(ish) forum members it is a great forum to share information and get advice - please take the time to fill in your profiles and post something about yourself and your Land Rovers in the "Introduce Yourself" section and join in the positive side of the forum. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom