• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Pensive Sunroof (2001 TD5)

Cobpiper

Accelerating Away
Hi,

I have a sunroof that seems to worry about opening!! I can hear the motor wind for a second or two, then it just stops....same 'closing'. I suspect they have been sealed (though not sure).....any ideas? I wanted to open them fully to check the drain hoses.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I have a sunroof that seems to worry about opening!! I can hear the motor wind for a second or two, then it just stops....same 'closing'. I suspect they have been sealed (though not sure).....any ideas? I wanted to open them fully to check the drain hoses.

Thanks in advance!
Roofrack?

Can you unbolt the glass, and see if you can remove it and that is not seal shut, be aware that there are 2 bit at the rear of the glass that lock it down so it can be prised open fron the outside, the other option is to remove the motor and fit a manual handle

Drawing1.jpg

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
If the seal to glass is doing its job, there will be no water finding its way into the catch tray. If this is the case, then the drains are an irrelevance. Obviously, if you want to use the sunroofs, then you will have to strip them and find the problem. From your description, it does sound as though they have been sealed closed permanently; it's unlikely that both have the same fault. If you haven't already, look at them from outside and see if you can see anything covering/filling the gap between the glass and the frame.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
If electric, the controller has seen a resistance to moving therefore cuts power, the same way as it does when the glass comes to the end of its travel in each direction. There is access to the motor to wind the class manually using an Allen key.

With electrical or manual control unfortunately you’ll have to find what the cause is, maybe the sliders have seized so just some lube will get the glass moving again, the track has broken sliders as they are only nylon so remove the glass for a look.

If you find that there is a broken part issue with the track and understand how to dismantle the sunroof, parts are not sold as a replacement part.

A mate of mine had a similar issue so replace it with one from eBay.
The existing sunroof was repaired with parts strip from the eBay item which was found to have some diy ‘bodges’… the motor was sold so he got a bit of cash back.

As stated already the class has to be removed.

I could not open mine fully for years, so when I finally decide to fix the leaks I removed the headliner nad removed both sunroofs, I found the slider on one side had broken up, so using a bit of plastic form a strip of facia and soffit, I made a new piece it did the job and it's still working

Back
Top Bottom