• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Question: Tdi's turning over but not starting.

MattHunt

Overdrive!
So, I know this is a bit "how long is a piece of string", but recently I have met 2 broken down TDi Landys, both of which turned over on the start motor but the engine would not try to catch, which suggests fuel starvation.

Is there a known issue with TDi engines and fuel feed? Today I would have checked the filter to see if fuel was coming in, but whoever last serviced this one had over tightened it and without a chain wrench it was not shifting.

Thanks.

You don't need to take off the filter. Just crack the nuts on the pipes if you think it needs bleeding. It could be the fuel stop solenoid stuck closed or not getting energised .
If you have an immobiliser I'd look at that as well because if its cranking but not starting then it suggests the solenoid is the problem if you don't even get a sputter out of it and no smoke from the exhaust.
Are you talking 200 or 300 tdi? Not that it makes any real difference to the above.

You don't need to take off the filter. Just crack the nuts on the pipes if you think it needs bleeding. It could be the fuel stop solenoid stuck closed or not getting energised .
If you have an immobiliser I'd look at that as well because if its cranking but not starting then it suggests the solenoid is the problem if you don't even get a sputter our of it and no smoke from the exhaust.
Are you talking 200 or 300 tdi? Not that it makes any real difference to the above.
Thanks for that.

No sputter, engine turned by starter but nothing else

Fuel solenoid is becoming more likely as they get older.
With ignition on and listening carefully you might be able to hear the solenoid if you remove / replace the wire to it.

Google for immobiliser bypass instructions...

Back
Top Bottom