• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Rear fog lamp

1985 1988 90 - noticed that when the rear fog light - standard rectangular box type - was switched on at the dash it was on when the headlamps were on dipped and main beam, I thought that it should go off when main beam is on ? Sure it was like that on my previous 90s. More importantly does this constitute a MoT fail?

You can't really drive on main beam in fog, it kind of defeats the purpose.... But can't see why that would shut the fog light off.

You see so many people driving around at night, no fog, but fog lights on. It really grinds my gears.... Oh, hang on. Wrong thread.

Oh, look. BST has arrived.

Been thinking about this.... I can't understand why your fog light comes on with both main and dip. I could understand one or the other, not both.

The power for the fog light switch should come from the dip feed for the headlights, so when you switch the headlights on, power then goes to the switch, either direct, or to activate a relay which then let's power go to the switch. Then the fog light is capable of being switched on via the switch.

Out of interest, did you try the fog light with just the sidelights on?

Been thinking about this.... I can't understand why your fog light comes on with both main and dip. I could understand one or the other, not both.

The power for the fog light switch should come from the dip feed for the headlights, so when you switch the headlights on, power then goes to the switch, either direct, or to activate a relay which then let's power go to the switch. Then the fog light is capable of being switched on via the switch.

I don't think there is anything technically wrong with being on with either dip or main.. I think the rear fog is meant to be selectable with either headlights on or side lights and FRONT fogs on.

As to only on with dip, I suspect the feed for the rear fog comes from just after the headlight switch, in other words BEFORE the dip/main switch, hence the behavior!

No, it's not wrong per se, just that every vehicle I ever had, the fog at the rear only works with dip.

Front fogs... Can of worms there, son got a caution for driving with just the fronts on, daytime. He forgot to switch them off.... Yet some cars they get put on automatically.

Yes, and it doesn't come on with the sidelights, only lights up when dipped or mains are on.
No, it's not wrong per se, just that every vehicle I ever had, the fog at the rear only works with dip.
Thinking back, one night in Wales having crossed the Berwyns in fog, descended into Trawsfynedd and was pulled on the main road for having the fog light on when not needed; told off but NFA. I know that one worked only on dip so just a surprise that the current one works with either.

Front fogs... Can of worms there, son got a caution for driving with just the fronts on, daytime. He forgot to switch them off.... Yet some cars they get put on automatically.

Ahh those are DRLs not fogs! Or at least they are performing the function of DRLs, but can often be selected as fogs too. Not sure if the power output (many are LED) means they are not 'bright enough' top be classed as fog lamps? I had a couple of 9000 SAABs some years back (wonderful cars) and the lights low down in the spoiler were described in the manual as auxiliary (or was it additional) headlamps.. wonder how you would stand if stopped for having those on? :D

i think the only stipulation for rear fog lamp is that it works, is at certain distance from the ground (but thats C+U regs, not MOT, in my experience MOT testers dont give a shit they are just looking at condition and operation) and a tell-tale for the switch.

It's normal for that age of vehicle. The fog light circuit comes from the headlight connection of the main light switch - so comes on any time the light switch is set for headlights on, regardless of what you do with the stalk.

Back
Top Bottom