• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Replacing Instrument Backlights

Advice needed please.
I'm replacing the clock in my instrument panel with a OEM rev counter. Arrived yesterday.
I had a mixture of white/green/orange backlights. I prefer a red backlight and for all to be the same colour. As part of my renovation I'm replacing every backlight with red LED bulbs - all switchgear and the speedo have been done. The only three instruments not changed yet are the three small circular gauges in the drivers instrument pod. That's the fuel gauge, water temperature gauge and the new rev counter. Had a look at these this morning and the casings seem to be one solid piece. I can't see how they come apart (if they do) :mad:
Is there a way of getting into these instruments? Is the front removable? I don't want to damage them by doing something stupid and I'd really like to replace these backlights so that all my lights match.
Anyone got any knowledge of how to do this, or any ideas?

You got a pic of the back of the gauges? Im only familiar with ones that have a bulb inserted via a hole in the rear (stop it).
Are these later model year gauges?
May have integral LEDs..?

You got a pic of the back of the gauges?
Argh - just left the shed. I'll grab a pic tomorrow and post it. The speedo has rear insertion bulbs :eek:. Easy to swap the bulbs for led's. I can't see bulbs through the tiny holes in the rear of the other gauges.

Do you need to open the gauges to replace the bulbs or to remove the coloured filters?
Either/or. I can't get to bulbs or filters (if they are there). I can't see any way of changing the colours other than taking the unit apart.

I know it sounds OCD but a lot of time has gone into this project and I'd like to get this just how we planned it.

A couple of my aftermarket gauges have LEDs built in which cant be accessed.
One of them has a button that changes the colour (even has a changing ‘disco’ mode!).
I was thinking later (td5<?) may be fixed illumination…

A couple of my aftermarket gauges have LEDs built in which cant be accessed.
One of them has a button that changes the colour (even has a changing ‘disco’ mode!).
I was thinking later (td5<?) may be fixed illumination…
I forgot to get the photo today - doh.
Thats useful info, thanks. I'll look to see if there is a colour select button on the gauges. If I can't change all the lights to red then I'll need to change the speedo lights back to keep all the drivers console lights white.
I assume you haven't got yours set to 'disco' :rolleyes: How could anyone think it's a good idea to have changing colours in front of the drivers face :eek:

Back
Top Bottom