• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Reupholstering a Mobile Storage Systems Cubby Box Arm Rest Pad

Geobloke

Posting Guru
My MSS cubby has done exceptionally well, 15 years or so worth of hard life and after that amount use the armrest cushion was beginning to look and be utterly useless :)

So, I searched for a replacement cushion and couldn't find anything that would suit as a replacement. I even contacted an upholstery company of two and both said this was too small a job to bother with. Fair enough. Plan B....

Do It Yourself lad... :)

Off to my local haberdashery (yes I got some odd looks from the shop staff and usual customers) and 20 minutes later I came away with a metre squared of black faux leather material, foam and some strong black thread. Price was £11.50.

I realise this is not the usual hammering and grease gun sort of post, but I like to give things a go and learn a bit along the way...

The first step was to remove the cushion pad from the cubby box lid, 4 screws and to remove the foam and material from the wooden base (glue and staples) and then to carefully pick the old cushion apart to use the panels as templates for the new material.

IMG_9207.JPGIMG_9208.JPGIMG_9209.JPGIMG_9210.JPGIMG_9220.JPGIMG_9221.JPG

The foam was cut to size (long sharp knife works the best for this) and glued (using vehicle trim contact glue) on to the base board.

IMG_9222.JPGIMG_9223.JPGIMG_9224.JPGIMG_9225.JPG

Now for the time consuming part. I chose a slightly thicker piece of foam as I am a tall bloke, so drawing out the net of panels included additional depth. The best way to do this is turn the fabric over and using a soft pencil draw out the panels, cut lines and sewing lines.

IMG_5630.JPGIMG_5631.JPGIMG_5632.JPG

Now for the fiddly part, the sewing... First job is to tack together the piping (white nylon strands and thin long strips), then tack that to the main armrest panel to hold it in place. You could use pins if you want to here. I started with a single running stitch and after a while realised that it was not going to be robust enough, nor tidy enough. So un-picked it all and started again with a running back stitch. Single running stitch on the right and running back stitch on the left:

IMG_5634.JPG

For those who don't know what that is you create a looping stitch that goes forward 1 stitch then loops backwards through the previous stitch (1/2 the distance away), then forward one stitch, backwards half and stitch, etc etc... This way you get a double line of stitches that are strong and any stress on the material is spread across multiple stitches. I learnt something with this. Super stitch for this sort of work.

Thirty minutes later and another learning curve (pun intended...) I have sewn one half of this armrest pad and done my first corner. Quite chuffed with this:

IMG_5633.JPG

Obviously there is some way to go yet, but do not fear I will post up when the sewing is done and the armrest is back in Miffy :)

Attachments

• IMG_5629.JPG
    IMG_5629.JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 31
Done and dusted.... The armrest has (if I may say so myself) turned out superbly.

Having done one half of one side of the armrest there is nothing to do but carry on. In total the sewing took an hour or two with coffee breaks. After which:

IMG_5636.JPGIMG_5637.JPGIMG_5638.JPGIMG_5639.JPG

Even Indy is moderately chuffed with the way this one turned out. On to a trial fit:

IMG_5640.JPG

Snug as a bug in a rug... Thank goodness :)

At this point I had a look back through the disassembly photos and realised that the original foam pad was covered with a fleece and I presume to smooth the curves in the foam and protect it from pointy elbows. So, a quick search around the house came up trumps with a length of fleece. This was cut to size, glued tot he top of the foam to prevent movement and stapled to the wooden back board.

IMG_5642.JPGIMG_5643.JPG

Then siting the pad in to the covering, seat it and stretch the material over the back board, working from one of the curved ends, staple and then stretch over the opposite end and staple. Repeat for the sides leaving about an inch free around the corners. The corners are tricky, but trim the nylon piping back to the edge of the wooden board and then fold the corner in-line with the sides of the pad. Not along the curved ends. The staple, staple and staple some more.

IMG_5644.JPG

Remember to trim back the material covering the captive nut holes...

Lastly fit the rectangular covering over the underneath of the armrest and staple in to place. Give the pad a good thump to shape it and the job is almost complete:

IMG_5645.JPGIMG_5647.JPGIMG_5648.JPG

For those who are interested these are the measurements:

IMG_5649.JPG

And finally fit the armrest back on to the cubby box and remember to fit the lid check-strap:

IMG_5650.JPGIMG_5651.JPGIMG_5652.JPGIMG_5653.JPGIMG_5654.JPG

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is blimey those seats need a damn good clean/refurb now... Oh and that net on the side of the cubby box has become flaccid... Huh...!

Anyway I hope that some of you found that interesting and perhaps might DIY one day.

Back
Top Bottom