• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

S3 Front half shaft

rturnock

Shifting Up
Hi, for various reasons I have to replace one of the half shafts on the front of my 109.
The replacement shaft is in good condition as well as the axle case seal land (90217398) and the inner bearing race part of the shaft bearing (244150) that sits next to it.

On the existing axle, the half shaft bearing races were replaced (they're pressed into the back of the swivel bases) when I replaced the swivels about a year ago.

My question is, when fitting a replacement front haft shaft, and the inner race on it appears to be in ok, is it ok to use it as is? or are you expected to strip the swivel, press out the outer race and bearing refit a new one, then cut the inner race from the shaft and press on the new one? These half shaft bearing are expensive items now and having to rip one out that has been in for less than a year is a bit frustrating, on top of having to rebuild the swivel again to do it..

Thoughts?

Hi, for various reasons I have to replace one of the half shafts on the front of my 109.
The replacement shaft is in good condition as well as the axle case seal land (90217398) and the inner bearing race part of the shaft bearing (244150) that sits next to it.

On the existing axle, the half shaft bearing races were replaced (they're pressed into the back of the swivel bases) when I replaced the swivels about a year ago.

My question is, when fitting a replacement front haft shaft, and the inner race on it appears to be in ok, is it ok to use it as is? or are you expected to strip the swivel, press out the outer race and bearing refit a new one, then cut the inner race from the shaft and press on the new one? These half shaft bearing are expensive items now and having to rip one out that has been in for less than a year is a bit frustrating, on top of having to rebuild the swivel again to do it..

Thoughts?
Just get the seal land and bearing race pressed off the old shaft and fit them to the new shaft ..read the thread about series 2a/3 axle and go to page 5 there is a set of pics and in one of them is the three seperate parts pressed off...

Thoughts?
If the inner race on your replacement shaft is in good condition and measures the same diameter as your original I would think it should work fine. It is true that bearing parts should remain together but this is a relatively low load and low speed application so you should be good to go. I wouldn't do such a thing with a differential or wheel bearing but I'd think in this case it would be okay. My opinion of course...

Just get the seal land and bearing race pressed off the old shaft and fit them to the new shaft ..read the thread about series 2a/3 axle and go to page 5 there is a set of pics and in one of them is the three seperate parts pressed off...

I'm currently looking into exactly this. I've ordered a bearing splitter like the one pictured in that thread. 50-70mm. I can probably get the shorter of the two shafts under my press but with the longer one I'll have to get creative.

I'm currently looking into exactly this. I've ordered a bearing splitter like the one pictured in that thread. 50-70mm. I can probably get the shorter of the two shafts under my press but with the longer one I'll have to get creative.
yes the beam for the press was about 4in off the floor ....for the long shaft..so as you have only got a problem with the one shaft .. is it the longer shaft or the shorter shaft you are playing with ..???

Back
Top Bottom