• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

SDV6 tuning ideas

Pieman2

In Second Gear
Hi there,

I'm thinking about doing some enhancements to my L405 SDV6 and wondered what sort of tuning and modifying tweaks you guys would recommend?

Any suggestions gratefully received. I'm let to believe the crank is a weak point - is this true? And if so, has anyone upgraded it?

I think that upgrading the crank is going to take some seriously expensive engine work, possibly more expensive than an engine swap to something more powerful.
99% of modern engines aren't particularly 'tuneable' in the traditional sense and remapping is the route most people go down...

The bulletin was posted suggested that it wasn't necessarily the crankshaft itself, but that incorrect bearing installation was the cause. Probably the first step is to start oil analysis in order to determine if you have too much bearing material in the oil. If that's the case, then preemptive bearing replacement would be a lot cheaper than engine replacement. Bearing replacement is pretty standard practice on many BMW M cars as they've had similar issues. They can be replaced with the engine in situ. Not sure about the SDV6.

I'm new to the vehicle. But reading other posts I'm guessing that control arm bushings are a potential weak spot.

I've been driving a Mercedes GL the past 9 years. I took my RR Sport on a 220 mile drive yesterday with the family down to the coast and can say emphatically that the active roll stabilization (RR calls it Dynamic Response) is an absolute game changer for an SUV. I had it on my '98 Discovery back in the day and had forgotten the difference it makes. Given that this vehicle has air suspension, I'm not really sure what else you would want to do with it. On the Mercedes, when the air springs failed, the upgrade was to replace them with Arnott air springs because they had a lifetime guarantee. I'm sure they make Land Rover replacements as well. Mercedes air springs used to fail at about 60,000 miles and I replaced all 4 of mine at about that age.

Back
Top Bottom