• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Searching for my Dad's old Landy. Any info at all appreciated! JUG 176N

JackDodworth

In Second Gear
I don’t actually own a Series Land rover, but I’m trying to track one down. And am hoping for some information.

It’s a green 1975 series 3 Land Rover 88 registration: JUG 176N 2.25 Diesel engine

The context of this, is that it was my dad's first car back in the late 80s. He had many amazing memories and experiences with it, but lacking the foresight at the time that he would one day want it back, he sold it after only a few years of ownership. My mum, and his wife of 25 years passed away a year ago, and tracking down the car and getting it back for him seems like something that'd really lift his spirits. Every time he talks about it you can see his love for it. And so if we're able to find the car, we'd be interested in trying to buy it back and attempting to restore it, if it needs any work, between myself my dad and my brother it would be a great way for us to spend valuable time together in the absence of mum, as well as giving some of those of memories back to him.

We live in Leeds and I have reason to believe that when it was sold by my dad it was locally, but of course it may have moved far and wide since then. I have been able to confirm online that it is currently under a SORN and that a new V5 was issued in March 2021. I've checked on Reddit and a couple of Facebook groups so far but I've been told I have a better chance here than anywhere.

I'm aware it's a longshot, but I would really appreciate any information that any of you lovely lot may have. Be it the car itself or the owner!
Thanks!

No idea about the whereabouts of the car, but I hope you find some information on here - sounds like a great idea and project. All the very best in your search :)

You could try the MOT, from here you may be able to work out if it's still registered etc. recent changes to privacy laws in the UK however, will makes searches like this more challenging. In the US you can do a VIN check and can vaguely infer the status of a vehicle, I'm not sure if anything like that exists in the UK. See if your dad has copies of the registration papers (doubtful from that far back). I just went through a provenance process with my Series 3, including finding the title, starting with just the VIN. There is hope!

Has a recent log book so this could be promising...
Vehicle make: LAND ROVER
Date of first registration: April 1975
Year of manufacture: 1975
Cylinder capacity: 2286 cc
CO₂ emissions: Not available
Fuel type: DIESEL
Euro status: Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE): Not available
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: SORN <-- Hmmmm
Vehicle colour: GREEN
Vehicle type approval: Not available
Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued: 27 March 2021 <-- Don't know enough about what triggers this date, but could be a good sign it's still out there

The JUG reg told me it was from Leeds, so am I. I used to own a Reliant Robin KUG 622 N, probably long since scrapped, and only a few numbers from your Landy. Good luck with the hunt! David

Has a recent log book so this could be promising...
Vehicle make: LAND ROVER
Date of first registration: April 1975
Year of manufacture: 1975
Cylinder capacity: 2286 cc
CO₂ emissions: Not available
Fuel type: DIESEL
Euro status: Not available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE): Not available
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: SORN <-- Hmmmm
Vehicle colour: GREEN
Vehicle type approval: Not available
Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued: 27 March 2021 <-- Don't know enough about what triggers this date, but could be a good sign it's still out there
Hi Mate. thanks for all this info. we've done this check. annoyingly because of the age of the vehicle, there's no MOT history to chase up. only the status of the vehicle.
The new logbook suggests it's been bought recently, so that could prove a hurdle in getting it back if we are able to find it.
Unfortunately, the more i search the harder it seems to get. i was hoping the owner of the car may be a member of the facebook groups or forums and they may see the posts, starting to feel the best way of finding it will be to knock on the doors of all the farmers in west yorkshire and ask if its rotting in their barn haha!
thanks again

FWIW . If it was that important (as this is ) you could employ a private detective who often have access to data us normal folk can’t access .

I’m guessing you just need current owner and address .....🤔

FWIW . If it was that important (as this is ) you could employ a private detective who often have access to data us normal folk can’t access .

I’m guessing you just need current owner and address .....🤔
yeah really we just need the owner's name if anything haha. had considered the private detective route but in my mind this feels extreme but i guess it's possible. we are going to try the DVLA's V888 form first and failing that we may consider this route. depending on the cost

Back
Top Bottom