• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 heater improvement .....

mistericeman

Big Landy Fan
As the colder inclement weather draws close ,and i faced another few months of misted up windows in my series 3 (not helped by the usually damp dog contained inside:rolleyes:)

I decided to go down the series 3 piggyback heater route (no doubt covered plenty of times on here already) to supplement the round "smiths" type heater in the cab ,it came of a mini digger so is larger than the usual ones ,but is lacking the hoses to demist the screen .

So after obtaining an additional heater matrix i set about chopping two up to make " FRANKENHEATER " .A bit of grinding/chopping/welding/flushing/sealing/painting later ,and i have a DRASTICALLY improved heater .Further improvements will see the replacement of the blower assembly as i reckon that i am losing 60% of the airflow through the rotted out base :eek: .The making of a manifold so that all three heater cores receive water flow in parallel rather than as series as it is now ,and the ditching of the engine driven fan for an electric one .........

Toasty as .................

Apologies if it has been covered too often before

Attachments

• DSCF2703.jpg
    DSCF2703.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF2707.jpg
    DSCF2707.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCF2713.jpg
    DSCF2713.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCF2732.jpg
    DSCF2732.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCF2712.jpg
    DSCF2712.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF2719.jpg
    DSCF2719.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCF2728.jpg
    DSCF2728.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 275
Any one got any good ideas for heaters, as however good mistericeman's heater is i also don't have room for a heater in the original place because i put an air filter box there instead? maybe putting the whole lot inside somewhere?

Matt

good job on the heater mods though!

I have a very simple mod involving running some 4in ducting to the front grill and back to the heater unit so I get the full ram air effect when moving its brill in fact to hot sometimes.

Nick.

I've got one of those 'night heater' type things similar to a lorry.
Whole lot sits under my passenger seat.
It runs on diesel, and you can (if you want) set it to come on in the morning before you get out of bed.:D

They don't come cheap tho, but they are available on e-bay under boat equipment, as these have the 12V version.

Heating SORTED!;)

Back
Top Bottom