• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Sh*tpart steering relays

rbrtcrowther

In Third Gear
I am now removing the 2nd steering relay from the landy in 3 months. After my steering wheel repeatedly went of center, one way then the next. The first time this happened was on a gentle green lane trip and on returning to the main road the wheel was quarter of a turn out to the left. After much jiggering and readjusting it happened again driving over the curb where i park the landy. So a new relay was fitted and problem solved... My **** 1 trip to toms farm and the steering was half a turm out. Turning the wheel with the car stationary basicly twists the relay shaft. So to prove a point i put the wheel against the curb and gave the wheel some greif. turned to full lock and the wheels remained straight ahead. The relay shaft just twisted. Utter crap and deadly.

Crap from Sh*tpart so far.

Out of center brake drums (the brake pedal throbbed up and down)

Usless wheel cylinder and shoes.

Usless trackrod ends.

Crap engine mounts.

Chocolate brake adjusters for a defender

Indicator lenses that turned clear.

Oil seals that don't

and the greatest one of all...A recon gearbox that had rusty gears in it and jumped out of reverse. I stripped it down and it had not been looked at. Knackerd bushes and bearing and the reverse gear was chewed to bits

And do you know what? I never returned any of it. Don't like arguing really and cos i have a fourtrak engine in the landy i knew they would say i voided the warrenty. But who uses full throttle in reverse?

Never ever use sh*tpart parts. Hope they go bust before someone dies as a result of poor quality steering or brake parts. If you ask me thats what it will take before this pathetic excuse for a parts supplyer gets prossicuted.

Sorrry for the rant but i've had enough.

Rob.

Attachments

• DSCF1011.jpg
    DSCF1011.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCF1009.jpg
    DSCF1009.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF1008.jpg
    DSCF1008.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 175
Just thought but was the steering relay filled up with oil ?
The one I bought was "dry" and needed filling before use.
I know that won't explain the twisting of the shaft though.

Paul Humphries

.... Another added to the list - Chocolate steering boxes :eek:

This is not just shoddy - it's bordering on criminal - and in light of the safety issue of steering and braking systems involved, it won't be long before a death is on their hands because of it.

I urge you to Email Britpart about this - and put a link to this site, as the more people who complain the better.
If they only get 5% of the people who are appauled with their products contacting them, then there is another 95% of customers who are just walking away.

The sad thing is - if they just chose quality, they would have a captive audience as land rovers don't just dissapear as other brands do.

Add splitting Gearstick gaitors to your list after just 2 months. - In fact - I'll Email them too :rolleyes:

does anyone ells do steering relays the only ones i have ever seen and used are ****part ones and the two relays i have had on my s11a since i restored it 3 years ago have been stiff and my bro has had the shaft bend on his and that was ****part as well.

graham

hi crowther had relay n0 1 on 4 to 5 yrs reasonable laning x serious off rd eg rocks/ and ramming l/r over hills /holes etc had same problem steering wheel either to left or right on site have too re/set relay arms to get home /alsofound relay shaft/twisted spline/bent /shaftbent /relay no2 been on 12 month and shows same symtems my relays from paddocks never had problems with any parts by them as other furums members have :eek: will re /check relay to see if splines /twisted /bent i thougt it was me being to rough with l/rover keep me informed /as iwill do to dangerous if shaft was to snap on r/d:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

is gearbox from paddocks as mine is 8 yrs old abused on/offrd but when received found transfer box dirty in side spoke to g/box reconditioner for paddocks they said only g/box recond not t/box but so i would only buy g/box now/or rebuld my self if had enough spare time:band::Cross::chatter::guiness::guiness::guiness::guiness:

thats great news iv'e just fitted a s**tpart one to my rebuild i had searched and found no bad reviews...what alternatives do i have ?

I would be inclined to take the defective components to your Local Trading Standards Officer. As from your description the parts are not fit for service!

Gerald

Well i have orderd a new relay from Land Rover at a cost of £82 and the top arm cost £22 bottom about £16 told them it better not be a bloody britpart one in a land rover box. Will arrive on tuesday so we will see if it is any better. No problems getting series parts from land rover but it helps if you have the part numbers.

Happy shopping!

PS
Yes i did fill the sh*tpart one with oil before fitting it.

Just out of interest, how much was the Britpart one? Sometimes its just better biting the bullet and buying quality.

This is shocking:eek:

Maybe a call to BBC's watchdog programme would give them a kick up the backside.
Thats not a bad idea, have you seen the ****part boycott in public discussion?
thats great news iv'e just fitted a s**tpart one to my rebuild i had searched and found no bad reviews...what alternatives do i have ?
Same... Oh bugga:confused:

Oh and to add to the list off ****part ****, i bought a fuel filler cap, on fitting it bent:confused: and the seal fell appart...

Brian

This is shocking:eek:

Maybe a call to BBC's watchdog programme would give them a kick up the backside.

tbh i think this is probably one of the ways we may be able to get them to do anything about the shocking quality (don't feel comfortable using the word quality talking about them) that they keep passing off to us jo public

Honestly, the only reason britpart will keep trading is because people keep buying... money talks and anything that saves a penny will always be chosen first, cheap crap sells. Talk to any half decent parts supplier and they will be tell you, they only stock it because it makes them money, people like to save money (on crap!)

If everyone stopped buying, or everyone complained in writing, e-mail, phone they might just take the hint, and i use might loosely.

What about an on line petition somewhere that ALL Land Rover enthusiasts the world over, not just this forum, can sign so we can present Britpart with evidence of the number of people dissatified with their products.
Obviously it's need wording properly so as not to cause offence / deflamatory and is simply "customer" feedback to Britpart.
Maybe see if we could get magazines to print readers letter with link to the petition.

Paul Humphries

What about an on line petition somewhere that ALL Land Rover enthusiasts the world over, not just this forum, can sign so we can present Britpart with evidence of the number of people dissatified with their products.
Obviously it's need wording properly so as not to cause offence / deflamatory and is simply "customer" feedback to Britpart.
Maybe see if we could get magazines to print readers letter with link to the petition.

Paul Humphries

any ideas on the wording ???? i'd be well up for this

any ideas on the wording ???? i'd be well up for this

No idea.
It'd take someone far cleverer then me to word it properly so no legal implications etc.
Any listers with such skills want to make suggestions of how it should presented to Britpart ?
I assume something like -

"We the undersigned would like to bring to the company's (Britpart) attention that certain parts aren't consistant in quality nor to original manufacturers specifications (both in grades of materials used and also diamentionally) which is causing problems for the customer.
Whilst we recognise certain aspects are beyond Britparts control due to them being sub contracted to third party manufacturers the current standards are failing to provide acceptable items.
We therefore respectfully request quality control aspects are tightened and review of third party manufactors practices reviewed with the aim of repairing the companies reputation with Land Rover users and providing better quality parts"

Paul Humphries.

No idea.
It'd take someone far cleverer then me to word it properly so no legal implications etc.
Any listers with such skills want to make suggestions of how it should presented to Britpart ?
I assume something like -

"We the undersigned would like to bring to the company's (Britpart) attention that certain parts aren't consistant in quality nor to original manufacturers specifications (both in grades of materials used and also diamentionally) which is causing problems for the customer.
Whilst we recognise certain aspects are beyond Britparts control due to them being sub contracted to third party manufacturers the current standards are failing to provide acceptable items.
We therefore respectfully request quality control aspects are tightened and review of third party manufactors practices reviewed with the aim of repairing the companies reputation with Land Rover users and providing better quality parts"

Paul Humphries.

That sounds reasonable to me altho i'd want to go a little bit further explaining that certain products are not fit for purpose and some are even down right dangerous

I would be inclined to take the defective components to your Local Trading Standards Officer. As from your description the parts are not fit for service!

Gerald

-----------------------------------
Providing the steering has not been abused and you are confident that the relay shaft is made of a inferior grade of material - then yes, I would take it too the Trading Standards. If the shaft has not sheared then there may be sufficient material to have turned out a standard tensile test sample for a physical test , also the material could be subject of a chemical analysis (both by an independent test house). As a control a unused Britpart relay should be obtained for similar standard examinations. Yes - this will cost money , but that is why you pay Council Tax and there is the public safety of pedestrians to be considered in your County if this safety related item were to fail on a highway ;)

Back
Top Bottom