• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Steering knock yet again

Serious Series

Extreme Landy Fan
Had been chasing a knock on my steering since 9th June last year , thought I had cured it with new track rod ends awhile back but this last week it re appeared and got steadily worse. Stopped the job I was doing in it today and brought it home jacked it up and got my beloved to rock the steering wheel traced to steering relay loose in chassis.
I had fitted a heavy duty lower retaining plate a few years back and thought I had solved that issue.
Had to push the relay out of the plate with a jack it was that tight , refitted the relay with a shim in the lower section then refitted the plate with thread lock on the bolts.
Steering now working fine again just shows you can never fix it for good you got to keep checking every thing.
Whilst front was jacked up refitted my capstan winch drive links , I had removed it to shorten the sprung part as could not change fan belt without stripping it out. Not good for roadside breakdowns.

Just had to create shims for my relay using a crap feeler gauge. Was about 3mm of play and the steering wheel had a lot of slop. I just hammered shims around the relay and reinstalled the retainer plate. Seems to have worked a treat.

Back
Top Bottom