• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Strange engine number / camshaft timing

rabet

Overdrive!
Hi all,
2 questions,
In the LR 5 brg manual it refers to an engine number 99100001A, I cannot find any referance to determine what this engine is??

second, I need to set up the cam shaft / crankshaft timing, after reading the 5 brg supplement manual it makes no mention of how, when the cam shaft chain wheel has only 1 key way.
I have the info for 3 brg, multi key way.
can any one please give details how or a link to the info.

Many thanks for any help

Rabet

I don't know about the engine number but the cam only has one keyway and is not adjustable. When I rebuilt my 2.5 petrol i found that the cam was almost 6 degrees off. I ended up machining my own keyway in to correct it so it is not a simple home fix.

Delk

I had the same query with the engine number when doing my 2286 petrol rebuild. I asked Turner Engineering about it and they said they didn't recognize the 991 numbers. My engine was in fact a 90/110 engine so was of the 11H engine numbers and I just treated it as a late engine.

As for the camshaft gear, I got mine from Turner Engineering and they said it should be spot on when fitted with a new chain etc. I checked mine (you can see the method in my WIP thread here) and it looked to be spot on.

Hi Sam, thanks for the info
can you please tell me what was the piston depth below block face when cam at exhaust peak 95 deg BTDC

rabet

Hi all,
have been doing some digging and reading and the information below might be usefull to someone.
All information is taken from LR orininal manuals, (but it aint complete)

The LR 5 brg supplement speaks of 3 differant engine numbers series, in relation to crankshafts. 361, 991 and 366. It states that series 366 is the 2.25 diesel, we know that the series 361 is a petrol 2.25 so at this time I am assuming that series 991 is also 2.25 petrol. Now the strange part as it goes on to say that the engines were manufactured at 2 differant locations. cast crank and forged crank. It states that the cast crank CAN ONLY be used in the 361 series (petrol) and must not be fittered in the other engine numbers sreies. Now we all know that the diesel has to have a forged crank because of the torque, the question is why not series 991, when it is suggestered by the wording that it is indeed a petrol????

Further study of the manuals, this time fron the 90 / 110 manual showed the following, very back page it has a supplement to the 2.5 petrol engine, and lists the differance between the 2.25 and the 2.5. and goes on to say and I quote, "some of these new features were, however,introduced on the later 2.25 petrol engines"

The 2 inportant differances that I noticed were and I quote "camshast same as 2.5 litre Diesel engine" and "camshaft sprocket simular to 2.25 litre petrol engine, but with a single keyway positioned to alter the exhaust value peak from 109 deg to 104 deg"

This is telling me that the 2.5 petrol and the 2.5 diesel has the same camshaft, but to inable the petrol operate and use this cam they had to alter the exhaust peak to 104 deg by using this single keyway sprocket.
Now the 2.25 exhaust peak is at 95 deg which is 9deg less, prehaps this is how they acheived more power?

Back to the 5 brg supplement manual, it confirms that the serise 361 uses a cam with an EP of 95 deg and the thread is UHF, then it states that the valve timing for camshaft fittered to eng series 366 Diesel and this mistery series 991 has an EP of 109 deg. But when using the single key way sprocket it adjusts the EP to 104 deg, it then states that the thread in the shaft is "Metric"
It gives you an easy way to tell the differance between the cams, as follows, 95 deg EP cam, the number 1 EP is on the centre line of the key, and the 109 deg EP cam, and I quote, "number 1 EP on the shaft fittered to serial number range 991 is 7 deg to the right of the key way center line viewed from the key way end.
So here we are again with this mistery series 991 suggesting it is a petrol.

For what it is worth I think because it stated that some of there differances between the 2.25 and 2.5 werew introduced on the later 2.25 engines, I think the 991 series engine is a 2.25 petrol using the same cam as the 2.5 and using the single keyway sprocket to adjust the EP for a petrol engine and remember it stated you MUST NOT FIT THE CAST CRANK to this series so prehapes the torque from this configeration is around the same as the Diesel.

Any comments??????????????
I might be wrong suggesting the 991 is as it is, but if I am please forgive me.

Rabet

Hi
I forgot to mention that I have 3 2.25 petrols (all ex military) using the 95 deg cams AND the single keyway sprockets, these engines must have ran like a "dog"

Rabet

I don't know about the engine number but the cam only has one keyway and is not adjustable. When I rebuilt my 2.5 petrol i found that the cam was almost 6 degrees off. I ended up machining my own keyway in to correct it so it is not a simple home fix.

Delk

Perhaps I'm being really thick, or not understanding the problem properly, but why go to the trouble of machining a new key way when you can just notch the chain around the timing sprocket one tooth? There look to be about 60 teeth or so, and therefore the angle between teeth is about 6 degrees.

Just makes you wonder doesn't it - you make a petrol engine for 20 years or so then find it goes better with the camshaft you make for a diesel engine!

the crank was redesigned for the 2.5 engines compared with the 2.25 engines, and was so strong that it could be safely used of both petrols and diesels

I don't think 77 BHP or less produced by the 3 bearing 2.25 petrol Land Rover engine is likely to break its crank. Basically the engine is very strong and well proportioned as you would expect from about the last entrant to the 2 - 2.25 litre club (it was a common size of engine produced by most manufacturers in the 40's and 50's) and of course shared its crank dimensions and shell bearings with the more demanding diesel.

Many more powerful petrol engines have had smaller cranks. I do concede that the Rover engine is rather long which may cause problems at high speed but the 5 bearing doesn't rev any harder.

CONFIRMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 991 series engine is a petrol.
I found referance in the manual "petrol eng series 991 when fitting the main bearing caps", must use flat washers and diesel spec bolts. well there you go.
What if any are the other differances I do not know.
As for machining second keyway, it seems quite easy to set up EP on number 1 as the keyway is on the same centre line as the EP, so just position the keyway at 12 oclock, piston 54mm down from block face and fit chain.
Sprocket has 42 teeth, so 1 tooth = 8.6 deg.

Rabet

Rabet

Back
Top Bottom