• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Strange Leak on 2000 Freelander 1.8 Petrol

MikeF

In Second Gear
Advice need please

Just found a strange leak on my 2000 Freelander (1.8 Petrol model)

There is a pipe at the bottom right of the engine bay (looks like its coming out of the firewall) that seems to be dripping. Any ideas what this pipe is for.

I haven't noticed it before (only had the car for 2 weeks). Could it be to do with the Air con as we used that today on a 150 mile jounrey home ?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

sounds like what you said ----aircon----is the pipe soft and maybe flat at the end but is open ie:-you could put your finger in,then it`s the aircon discharge pipe,basically aircon takes the moisture out of the air and dumps it on the floor as its only water,thats why we use it in winter to clear the sceen as it removes the condenstion in the cab,brill or what

yes its soft, but it has cap on the end of it that you can move and put your finger in. The drips are only tiny and every 30 secs or so at the moment. It has to be the air con discharge pipe then

Yes, that's the drain alright. Mine was so good at cooling the car that loads of water would run under the car in the summer - several times people stopped me in car parks to try and tell me I had a coolant leak :) Nothing to worry about.

Thanks, this has put my mind at rest (I've only had the car a month or two) - Strangely mine seems to leak from this pipe even when I've not used the air con. Not much though just a trickle.

Hi Noel,

I too am new to the Freelander 1.8, I have also noticed condensation on the A/Conditioning pipes in the engine compartment just inside the right hand wing, even when not used, this drips onto the skid panel under the engine and onto the road. I hope this is also normal?

If it's the Steel/Aluinium pipes, it's the refrigerant condensing the moisture in the air. When it is working, these can form ice on them if they work flat out. Don't worry about it.

Hi Sim,

I assume your refering to my addition to Noels thread.
There is an A/C related pipe that runs along the side of the engine compartmant along the N/S inner wing, it has a number of couplings along it, I notced Yesterday that water was condensating on the outside of the hose and dripping down onto the engine deflector plate and onto the drive. The A/C unit had not been used. Guessing the supply to the cabin coil??

Dave

Templ4r seems to be on the right track but is it normal even when the A/c is not turned on at the dash board?

Possibly overcharged with gas when it was done. It's a trick when the lines or compressor slightly leak to put a bit more gas in, sometimes gets past the warranty period. Then it's your problem.

saw something similar on my mum's 06 TD4 Freelander today - there's a downward pointing pipe emerging from the bulkhead at the back of the engine bay gently gently dripping onto the underengine tray and then onto the road. you can see it through the passenger wheelarch above the wheel through the hole the steering arms (I think) go through. she also rarely uses the aircon.

Aircon drains are about as thick as your finger with a flap on the end. if it's a lot thicker and tapered, it's a bulkhead drain. They clog up with leaves, particularly on Rover 75s and flood the floor inside.

Chris

Its the bulkhead one I believe. So the fact its dripping is good or bad? is there a corrective active I can take to flush any leaves or crap out?

Hi - This is 4 years later and I have a Freelander 2005 (in Canada) How can I tell if it is a bulkhead drain or a air conditioner drain? I have water in the passenger footwell (LHD) and after reading many threads it appears that it might be from the Air Con system. Most posts say the air con drains go through the floor - I have looked there and cannot find any drains at all. However I did find a drain that goes through the firewall and it is pretty much directly below the Air Con refill ports so I thought I had finally located the A/C drain.

Back
Top Bottom