• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Stupid gearbox

spencer

Accelerating Away
God knows why but my gearbox seems silky smooth when cold but won't even go into third and fourth without double de-clutching when hot.
No amount of swearing cursing or threatening seems to sort it out. Funny that!

When the box is cold, the drag of the thick oil helps the sycromesh to engage cogs. When hot the gears keep spinning and will not engage easily.

:)

So is there anything I can do? This problem has got considerably worse in recent months. Perhaps just an oil change or something?

Gidday Spencer.

No, If the synchro is knackered, an oil change wont assist. I am afraid that its "grit the teeth and pull the box" time.

The synchros are not difficult to replace if you have the box sitting on the bench in front of you... Of course, this becomes a very expensive exercise, as "shipfitters disease" usually sets in. [While I've got the bastard out, I'll just replace this - and this - and this..........]

Or, just live with it, marrying engine & box speeds while you source another box.

Ash

Nice to hear from you mate! I'll be gutted if the box is really shafted Ash. It just baffles me that it slides in so nicely when the gearbox is cold.
I have found that if I simply dip the clutch and gear into neutral then dip again for the gear, it'll go without trouble. I'm not having to match revs to the gear or anything.
The guy who works on my landy when I can't get the time supplied me with new gearbox mounting rubbers, saying that this was needed to sort the problem out. I haven't got round to doing the change yet as we're in the Great British Monsoon season at the moment! In anycase, as I have recently welded in a new gearbox cross member I feel depressed at the thought of doing anything with it now!

Gidday Spencer,
The only other thing I can think of, is a clutch problem such as the disc boss sticking on the shaft, or mal-adjustment, but you havnt played with the clutch adjustment have you?

Hang on, didnt you adjust the throw of the cluch mechanism a few months ago?

Ash

Alright Ash, I did mess with the clutch throw actually which made things better but sometimes I do get the impression that something's sticking in the box be cause there's the odd lurch a split second after take-up first thing in the morning.

My gearbox is exactly the same, smooth as silk when cold, after about 15 minutes, really holds onto the gears and you have to double clutch, to change from any gear. Changed the oil and it made no difference, its not clutch or adjustment as I've tried that. So I'll guess I'll just live with it until I can get round to changing it to my spare box, trouble is trying to get a spare weekend.
Dean

Back
Top Bottom