• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Td5 noisy fuel pump

Skillsetone

First Gear
Hi am am new to this forum so hopefully i have posted this on the right page!
I have a 2000 td5 defender, from owning it a year now it has had a noisy fuel pump (constant whining) it only seems to happen when she gets down to a three quarter tank, if i keep her full its ok! The noise i could live with but its the fact that it makes her bloody hard to start, and its worse if i manage to run her to half a tank. At half a tank she wont even tick over, she eventually stalls and then wont start until i fill her with fuel again. Can any one tell me if this is a common fault with td5 defenders or is it just mine? I am going to change the fuel filter today in an attempt to solve the issue. Please shed some light on this for me!!

welcome to the forum. i would try changing the air bleed valve on the fuel filter housing. that will make it run silly if its blocked.

In answer to the question are TD5 fuel pumps a common fault then the answer would be yes, good for about 50k they say. Mine is at 80k and no signs of failure yet!!!
The pump usually works or it doesn't, noise can be an indication of failure but they are £450 and it's a tank off job to fit.
With your symptoms I'd not be buying a pump as yet and see what other ideas/advice members have.

Back
Top Bottom