• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Td5 Real world coolant temperatures???

se7enup

Trekker
Can anyone enlighten me as to the real world operating temperature likely to be seen with a Td5?

I know that from around 80 degrees to around 115 degrees, the temperature gauge will sit bang in the middle, so as not to scare the driver when the engine heat cycles.

Can anyone (with a Nanocom or similar) let me know what "normal" coolant temperatures should be for idling and when under load/at speed.

Thanks,
Steve

normal running temp should be in the middle,wether your idling or running. Thats the job of the thermostat and the fan.

If I didn`t have a Landy my brain would fall asleep!!!

Yup, but in the middle of the gauge means anything from 80 degrees to just under 120. The gauge is not linear (it's driven from the ECU and what you see is the output of some software).
Get over 120 and it will shoot into the red (at 119 it will still be in the middle)

I'm after some real world temps, as shown on a Nanocom

Mine sits between 83 and 90 mostly.

I know this because I spent manys the day tweaking my boost pressure and measuring it over the course of the next day , as a result spotted what I thought was a rather wide discrepancy and started measuring that too .

It doesnt seem to relate too much to the driving conditions either . I can be tanking full on down a dual carriageway and have it sit at 83 one day and the next its 90 , same ambient temperature. It moves about during a journey equally without "logic" too. I can also be toddling around town and have the same "mood" swings . I guess thats just how it is .

I've just fitted the Madman EMS1 which includes coolant temperature. Last week I did a trip to Botswana from Johannesburg. We were 5 passengers and towing a trailer. The outside temperature was 32deg C. The average coolant temperature was 92deg C. On long climbs at went up to 95deg C, but never higher. Driving in traffic gets it to about 92deg C.

At exactly 70deg C, the dash temp guage moves to the middle and does not shift at all. Highly damgererous as far as I'm concerned.

An interesting point is how hot the transfer box can get. On some hills, the transfer box hit 106deg C

It doesnt seem to relate too much to the driving conditions either . I can be tanking full on down a dual carriageway and have it sit at 83 one day and the next its 90 , same ambient temperature. It moves about during a journey equally without "logic" too. I can also be toddling around town and have the same "mood" swings . I guess thats just how it is .

Thats interesting, could it be due to the fuel that your using? do you get your fuel from a mix of premium (Shell, BP etc) and cheaper (Tesco, Asda etc). I would love to know what causing this.

Thats interesting, could it be due to the fuel that your using? do you get your fuel from a mix of premium (Shell, BP etc) and cheaper (Tesco, Asda etc). I would love to know what causing this.

Oh I had this down as normal , are you suggesting thats not the case . I do fill up mixed e.g. Tesco when they do they 5p thing but mostly Shell Regular Diesel not premium.

However I use Millers Additive as a matter of course. Would Fueling affect Engine Temperature , so it may be sign of a fuel "problem" ?

Oh I had this down as normal , are you suggesting thats not the case . I do fill up mixed e.g. Tesco when they do they 5p thing but mostly Shell Regular Diesel not premium.

However I use Millers Additive as a matter of course. Would Fueling affect Engine Temperature , so it may be sign of a fuel "problem" ?

Hi Graham, no I dont think its a problem at all, I am pretty sure it is normal.

You mentioned that you were noticing different temperature with the same ambient temperature and the same driving conditions, thats makes me think that the fuel may be burning differently and one possible explanation for that is that the quality of the fuel you use.

There is nothing wrong with cheap fuel but often the better fuels do have advantages. Do you always mix the millers at the same dillution?

Regarding the Millers , no I just put a couple of squeezes in (if you know how the decant top works) and sometimes I dont have any. So its not scientifically measured but IMO reasonably consistent. I normally run to warn light though so it should be reasonably free of build up etc.

My current what is going to go wrong "paranoia" is my fuel pump so anyone mentioning fuel issues to me gets my attention :D

Back
Top Bottom