• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The case against in situ repairs

Waterover

Shifting Up
Hi all

Well , I'm now very glad I decided to take the steering box off to repair leaks!!! A pain to remove, but , wow I had no idea she was in this rough a shape. I ve never had it off in 30 years!!
Has anyone ever had a welder repair these??
Or am I up for a replacement??
Thx all

Attachments

• 20240420_114423.jpg
    20240420_114423.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 70
Welding the Cracked ears on the Aluminium Steering box case, which is Diecast, will be very difficult to achieve.
Impurities in the Alloy would make the welds brittle or difficult to fuse.
A new case is really the only answer .. Although if you had no choice.. It would make for a skilled TIG Welding exercise to cut back and remake the hole and Flange.

Welding the Cracked ears on the Aluminium Steering box case, which is Diecast, will be very difficult to achieve.
Impurities in the Alloy would make the welds brittle or difficult to fuse.
A new case is really the only answer .. Although if you had no choice.. It would make for a skilled TIG Welding exercise to cut back and remake the hole and Flange.
It would also probably melt the seals, and any oil remaining inside will stick to the walls.
It's a scrapper.

Hi all

Well , I'm now very glad I decided to take the steering box off to repair leaks!!! A pain to remove, but , wow I had no idea she was in this rough a shape. I ve never had it off in 30 years!!
Has anyone ever had a welder repair these??
Or am I up for a replacement??
Thx all
I've got a spare S2A steering box you could have for £50, but I've just seen your location is Canada, so postage might be an issue,
also I dunno what would happen if you put a RHD steering box on a LHD Landy, it'll probably steer backwards like one of those circus cars...

Strip it first and take a good look and the bearings and worm. This will tell you whether you have a repairable box. If the guts are too far gone you may be better off looking for a complete used box. You're unlikely to get a good one but better will do. Having had some ally castings from the 1960's welded recently I would say, yes that can be welded. The metal quality is first rate and despite being cast is welds fine.

Cleaned up and welded. They did great job. Will be on my inspection list daily for a few weeks, then weekly, then monthly, just in case it fails again. Regardless, it will be held on with 4 now instead of essentially 2.5!!
Does anyone have a name/ names on recommended grease to use?? Will install a grease fitting in order to fill to the brim for the upper bearing.
Thx

Attachments

• 20240429_211907.jpg
    20240429_211907.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 29
Cleaned up and welded. They did great job. Will be on my inspection list daily for a few weeks, then weekly, then monthly, just in case it fails again. Regardless, it will be held on with 4 now instead of essentially 2.5!!
Does anyone have a name/ names on recommended grease to use?? Will install a grease fitting in order to fill to the brim for the upper bearing.
Thx
Where did you get the welding done as I have one with cracks in would like welded up?

Local welding shop ,burlington,on. Make sure they keep wet rags in the bushing and around the body to keep the heat down as best possible. A day later , 90 dollars, seems worth it. We'll see!!

Back
Top Bottom