• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The Difference Between British and German Cars....

This weekend we received a guest for lunch, although under twenty he was wearing a cravat and clicked his heels on saying goodbye, yes, you guessed it, he is a modern day Prussian and hails from the very north of the country!

Discussing our impending trip and the relative merits of British and German vehicles we arrived at the inevitable Defender issue of doors, their over-size seals and slamming said doors to get them shut. To which our latter-day Junker said:

"To fully test the function of a car's door seals you ned a cat. For British cars place the cat inside and shut the doors. Return to the vehicle twenty four hours later and see whether the cat is still inside or has escaped. For a German car place the cat inside the vehicle, shut the doors and return twenty four hours later to see if the cat is still alive."

This weekend we received a guest for lunch, although under twenty he was wearing a cravat and clicked his heels on saying goodbye, yes, you guessed it, he is a modern day Prussian and hails from the very north of the country!

Discussing our impending trip and the relative merits of British and German vehicles we arrived at the inevitable Defender issue of doors, their over-size seals and slamming said doors to get them shut. To which our latter-day Junker said:

"To fully test the function of a car's door seals you ned a cat. For British cars place the cat inside and shut the doors. Return to the vehicle twenty four hours later and see whether the cat is still inside or has escaped. For a German car place the cat inside the vehicle, shut the doors and return twenty four hours later to see if the cat is still alive."
That is great I’m presuming all British cars of the bygone years or Land Rover inparticular ..German engineering for you ..

Experience tells me that and MGBGT and an Aston DBS had door issues, both sorted more easily than Land Rovers!
Not wrong there I have door issues Bought new rubbers not yet fitted but I don’t think they’re going to make much difference.going to align doors better as-well …that’s the theory ..

Not wrong there I have door issues Bought new rubbers not yet fitted but I don’t think they’re going to make much difference.going to align doors better as-well …that’s the theory ..
My new door rubbers, from Britpart, are a somewhat mixed bag, on of them is too wide at the top and the corners are below where the should be by an inch, it makes the door look like it has a downturned mouth but seals well enough! The driver's door seal looks perfect but at six four in height I can see daylight (quarter of an inch?) between the rubber and top of the door....

My new door rubbers, from Britpart, are a somewhat mixed bag, on of them is too wide at the top and the corners are below where the should be by an inch, it makes the door look like it has a downturned mouth but seals well enough! The driver's door seal looks perfect but at six four in height I can see daylight (quarter of an inch?) between the rubber and top of the door....
I didn’t pay Britpart price ,can’t remember off hand around £45 I think …I couldn’t justify the price but normally you gets what you pay so we shall see .I think my doors n body are a bit out or whack so not helping ..

New Britpart door rubbers came in a box of spare parts when I bought my 90. With a fair bit of pulling, pushing, and starting in a different place, I got them to fit reasonably well.
But, I can see an unnerving amount of daylight at the top of the door and I'm 5'6"!

I thought the ..not fitting as to seal the doors on a landy ..was to let the water out after wading ...and if you left you cat in a car for 24hrs in this country you would have pc plod and some group or other taking you to court .......:)

I thought the ..not fitting as to seal the doors on a landy ..was to let the water out after wading ...and if you left you cat in a car for 24hrs in this country you would have pc plod and some group or other taking you to court .......:)
I found the lack of water-tightness in my Series III very useful after the floods of 2007! In Bavaria the nosey Cat Lovers would definitely be on your back.

Back
Top Bottom