• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The Road to Morocco (2022)

mikeau

Staff member
We're on the ferry to France on Monday 19th. Plan is to take 3-4 days to drive down through France and Spain to Algeciras.
I might visit a mate in Gib, then get on the ferry to Ceuta (or possibly Tanger) End of the week ish.
From there I think we follow the coast East as far as Nador and then South through Midelt and Erford to Zagora.
Google says travel time is 12 Hrs, but we plan to take a leisurely pace and stop if we find somewhere interesting or nice to stop.

I'll try to post some updates and pics on here as we go, and time and wifi allow me to.

lf.jpg

Arrived France and spent the night near St Malo.

Heard an insignificant noise while turning right at low speed coming off ferry... parked up, gave both front wheels a good shake, solid as a rock(s).
Set off next day and heading South, only about half hour down the autoroute and the front left wheel fell off!
:eek:
Now the last time the front wheels were off was over a week ago when I fitted the gaiters. Wheel nuts were spun back on. Mea culpa...

Scary as I watched the wheel roll away and hoping that it wasnt going to hit something and jump the barrier... :eek:

Wheel was retrieved for me by a passing trucker who pulled over in the exit ramp, and the autoroute safety guy turned up quite fast and put out some cones, he then retrieved 2 wheel nuts and the wheel arch.

My bottle jack failed (typical) so I lifted it with the Hi-lift under the bumper and got the wheel back on using the 2 nuts he found and one from each of the back wheels. Had a quick look under and no damage other than a scuffed rotor and the back plate a bit bent.

Drove away gently, tested brakes, steering etc. All good. Drove to a supermarket and parked up and had a good look for any damage. One of the brake pad retaining rods had gone missing for some reason... replaced from spares kit. No other visible issues...

Found a spare wheel nut in spares box and removed two from spare wheel on the carrier (now secured with one nut and ratchet strap) so all wheels have 5 nuts again!
Checked and rechecked torques on all wheelnuts!

Covered another 500K with no issues... (so far..? yet..?.. :rolleyes: )

Onwards and upwards!

Should be in Spain by this evening, but taking it easy today so will see...

Arrived France and spent the night near St Malo.

Heard an insignificant noise while turning right at low speed coming off ferry... parked up, gave both front wheels a good shake, solid as a rock(s).
Set off next day and heading South, only about half hour down the autoroute and the front left wheel fell off!
:eek:
Now the last time the front wheels were off was over a week ago when I fitted the gaiters. Wheel nuts were spun back on. Mea culpa...

Scary as I watched the wheel roll away and hoping that it wasnt going to hit something and jump the barrier... :eek:

Wheel was retrieved for me by a passing trucker who pulled over in the exit ramp, and the autoroute safety guy turned up quite fast and put out some cones, he then retrieved 2 wheel nuts and the wheel arch.

My bottle jack failed (typical) so I lifted it with the Hi-lift under the bumper and got the wheel back on using the 2 nuts he found and one from each of the back wheels. Had a quick look under and no damage other than a scuffed rotor and the back plate a bit bent.

Drove away gently, tested brakes, steering etc. All good. Drove to a supermarket and parked up and had a good look for any damage. One of the brake pad retaining rods had gone missing for some reason... replaced from spares kit. No other visible issues...

Found a spare wheel nut in spares box and removed two from spare wheel on the carrier (now secured with one nut and ratchet strap) so all wheels have 5 nuts again!
Checked and rechecked torques on all wheelnuts!

Covered another 500K with no issues... (so far..? yet..?.. :rolleyes: )

Onwards and upwards!

Should be in Spain by this evening, but taking it easy today so will see...
Bloody hell not a good start .hopefully that is it now ..mind how you go .šŸ™‚

E652E06B-B92C-4BB9-B279-E144292098FF.jpeg

9FF6E0D6-708E-4963-8A7C-F268B318BE69.jpeg

When we arrived at the campsite we drove past someone who was having an even worse day;

504D4337-2081-4540-B7DA-E9A3CC97D59E.jpeg

She had parked outside reception and either the handbrake failed or it wasnt pulled on tight enough!
She was inside booking in when it rolled backwards down the slope. Good job there was noone in the way!

You can just see her van at the bottom of the slope in this oneā€¦

C361B149-0863-4CC6-8157-08C2697FBBBF.jpeg

Set up early.

IMG_2738.JPG

Had pasta with tuna and attracted half dozen cats!

IMG_2746.JPG

This arrived just ahead of us

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2739.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG

One of three vehicles following the migration route of the Ospreys down into Africa.

They left in August but have been delayed by breakdowns on all 3 vehicles (the Defender is the most reliable!).
The other two are following and will rendezvous here when they catch up...

and the front left wheel fell off!
All things considered, I think the language response was very constrained!

Really glad you're both okay and no serious damage done. Scary how quick they come undone....

One thing I would check though, the holes in the wheel for the studs, if they ran loose for a while they could have worn a bit, and might not tighten up as much as they should. Seen it on series vehicles when people don't tighten the drum fully home, using the wheel nuts rather than the drum screws. Makes the stud holes go oval. Also wears the stud thread.

Hopefully that's all the misadventure you will experience!

Back
Top Bottom