• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

To India and Beyond....

....once the bloody fuel pressure regulator gets in line and behaves itself, the lights which appear to be controlled by Satan himself are fixed, (going out completely in the mountains thirty km from here, requiring my head torch on strobe mode to be hung from the spare wheel and the full moon (serendipitous) helping with forward vision...) the door locks are replaced, and myriad other little jobs. Oh, did I mention we are leaving on the 22nd of October?

The Long Haired General, our fifteen year old son (doing on-line school), his two rats, a totally mental Spanish greyhound who is the reincarnation of the Spanish Infanta from nine hundred and forty years ago and yours truly - I make the rest of them look sane - are the crew.

Leaving southern Bavaria via Vienna, crossing the southern Carpathians at Brasov in Romania, heading to Istanbul before the next half of school term begins on the 5th November. Istanbul until Christmas and then on.

Tools galore, some good books, running shoes and a kettle bell or two and prize possession (no, not my copy of Elizabeth David's French Provincial Cooking) an original 1945 British Jerry can made in Essex! Chained to the roof rack to prevent Larry Lifter from whipping it away as we sample the local cuisine.

A question to those of you who are far more Defender knowledgable than I. What Defender 2004 TD5 spares would you carry on such a journey with intermittent visits to towns and cities which may have good mechanics but limited LR bits? I have belts, belt tools, filters, a few assorted gaskets and useful tools to do those difficult jobs, not to mention a highly developed sense of humour which was tested to the limit over twenty years in the British military. All thoughts gratefully received - a TD5 neighbour suggested today a crankshaft sensor; he and his wife spent three days on the road side in Sweden on their recent summer holiday, caused by an electrical problem involving cabling from the ECU but not the ECU itself. Some things you cannot plan for.

Pictures and instalments to follow and thank you in advance for any useful ideas.

Last edited:
The Greyhound/Infanta looking rearwards. That fifteen year old somersaulting in the Alpine sunset (useful having an acrobat along, all we need is a dancing bear and we can get the hat out in the market place at Kashgar to pay for a new fuel pressure regulator.) The house we are leaving behind (It is for sale), that much coveted Jerry can, the Infanta again dreaming of the Alhambra and rats!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I'll be heading back to the garage shortly.

Attachments

• 5da731c0-3c91-4dac-b981-2ccdfa1e8369.jpg
    5da731c0-3c91-4dac-b981-2ccdfa1e8369.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 36
  • b29ef836-3ffe-40b4-95e1-95deec9d8df9.jpg
    b29ef836-3ffe-40b4-95e1-95deec9d8df9.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 806953d0-ed7c-42d9-b78f-3ed55e06cd5b.jpg
    806953d0-ed7c-42d9-b78f-3ed55e06cd5b.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 39c21485-b15e-4db1-aae1-eb5186b59fb7.jpg
    39c21485-b15e-4db1-aae1-eb5186b59fb7.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
  • a2aabf66-0ced-4337-b4f2-c84debebe0e8.jpg
    a2aabf66-0ced-4337-b4f2-c84debebe0e8.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 36
  • e7930f44-b248-47a4-9232-1d366ddd880e.jpg
    e7930f44-b248-47a4-9232-1d366ddd880e.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ee1c25dd-8755-487a-9638-caa67a894cbe.jpg
    ee1c25dd-8755-487a-9638-caa67a894cbe.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 37
The Greyhound/Infanta looking rearwards. That fifteen year old somersaulting in the Alpine sunset (useful having an acrobat along, all we need is a dancing bear and we can get the hat out in the market place at Kashgar to pay for a new fuel pressure regulator.) The house we are leaving behind (It is for sale), that much coveted Jerry can, the Infanta again dreaming of the Alhambra and rats!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, I'll be heading back to the garage shortly.
Very nice house! Where is that at?

Also: quite a trip you are planning! 😮

Hi Matt48, the house (a labour of love) is in southern Bavaria, approximately ten minutes from the Austrian border and a little more from Switzerland. The real Great Escape saw a number of escapees come this way to enter Switzerland, one pair attempted to cross the border at Bregenz (the opera house in Bond's Spectre), the German speaker was home free and crossed yet on seeing his oppo detained he crossed back and spent another three years in captivity with him.

Skiing, great mountain biking, beer and lederhosen. Pastures new are calling.

Quite a trip; once on the way it will be great, at the moment it is a little fraught with Defender issues, storing belongings, trips to recycling and more Defender issues!

Thank you. Where are you living? I am from Devon originally but who knows where ww will settle!

Enjoy your Sunday.
T

I live close to Munich, Ebersberg.

You mentioned the house was for sale, I meant to say I‘d be interested to look at it if it was a little closer to Munich.

Interested to see where one ends up! I‘ve lived all over the place, Texas, Rutland ….

I live close to Munich, Ebersberg.

You mentioned the house was for sale, I meant to say I‘d be interested to look at it if it was a little closer to Munich.

Interested to see where one ends up! I‘ve lived all over the place, Texas, Rutland ….
Ah interesting! Are you a German or and Englander?

I too have lived and worked all over the globe - the one thing which has never changed is the guarantee of oily hands if one owns a Land Rover!

Rather like an Englishman living in Cornwall but not having been born there.

Right, off to sort my fuel issue once and for all....he said optimistically. Time to pray to Odin.

Genießen Sie den Rest Ihres Wochenendes.

Thor

....once the bloody fuel pressure regulator gets in line and behaves itself, the lights which appear to be controlled by Satan himself are fixed, (going out completely in the mountains thirty km from here, requiring my head torch on strobe mode to be hung from the spare wheel and the full moon (serendipitous) helping with forward vision...) the door locks are replaced, and myriad other little jobs. Oh, did I mention we are leaving on the 22nd of October?

The Long Haired General, our fifteen year old son (doing on-line school), his two rats, a totally mental Spanish greyhound who is the reincarnation of the Spanish Infanta from nine hundred and forty years ago and yours truly - I make the rest of them look sane - are the crew.

Leaving southern Bavaria via Vienna, crossing the southern Carpathians at Brasov in Romania, heading to Istanbul before the next half of school term begins on the 5th November. Istanbul until Christmas and then on.

Tools galore, some good books, running shoes and a kettle bell or two and prize possession (no, not my copy of Elizabeth David's French Provincial Cooking) an original 1945 British Jerry can made in Essex! Chained to the roof rack to prevent Larry Lifter from whipping it away as we sample the local cuisine.

A question to those of you who are far more Defender knowledgable than I. What Defender 2004 TD5 spares would you carry on such a journey with intermittent visits to towns and cities which may have good mechanics but limited LR bits? I have belts, belt tools, filters, a few assorted gaskets and useful tools to do those difficult jobs, not to mention a highly developed sense of humour which was tested to the limit over twenty years in the British military. All thoughts gratefully received - a TD5 neighbour suggested today a crankshaft sensor; he and his wife spent three days on the road side in Sweden on their recent summer holiday, caused by an electrical problem involving cabling from the ECU but not the ECU itself. Some things you cannot plan for.

Pictures and instalments to follow and thank you in advance for any useful ideas.
I wish you well and safe travelling..
A truly fantastic adventure awaits..
Such moves seem to be more common among the younger generation now.. I can not have imagined been able to give up work to do such a thing back in my day..
Just a little jelous.. 👍😂

Rather like an Englishman living in Cornwall but not having been born there.

Right, off to sort my fuel issue once and for all....he said optimistically. Time to pray to Odin.

Genießen Sie den Rest Ihres Wochenendes.

Thor

I hope you get it sorted quickly 👍

As for spare parts I always find it worth having all those little things handy like copper washers, sump, gearbox and diff plugs, oil and fuel filters, those felt stars (does the Defender still have them?), hose clamps, fuses, etc.

Whenever I do work on the roadside one of those always keeps disappearing…

I wish you well and safe travelling..
A truly fantastic adventure awaits..
Such moves seem to be more common among the younger generation now.. I can not have imagined been able to give up work to do such a thing back in my day..
Just a little jelous.. 👍😂
@andy63 Thank you - I am not that young, or old come to that, (born in 69) It simply felt like no time like the present.

I'll keep the thread updated.

T

I hope you get it sorted quickly 👍

As for spare parts I always find it worth having all those little things handy like copper washers, sump, gearbox and diff plugs, oil and fuel filters, those felt stars (does the Defender still have them?), hose clamps, fuses, etc.

Whenever I do work on the roadside one of those always keeps disappearing…
Thank you - fuses and relays....the second most irritating part of my present Land Rover life!

Ciao

@andy63 Thank you - I am not that young, or old come to that, (born in 69) It simply felt like no time like the present.

I'll keep the thread updated.

T
Ahhh but when I was your age I still felt young👍🤣.
I have children older than you😳
Edit.. In fact you have just reminded me.. Its her birthday on Tuesday.... Ta👍
So that makes you young in my book👍

A good overseas Breakdown cover/relay home association if you haven’t already ,i should imagine you have you never know hopefully you won’t need it .
Sounds a great Adventure good luck and plenty of pictures for us to drool over .😉👍

A good overseas Breakdown cover/relay home association if you haven’t already ,i should imagine you have you never know hopefully you won’t need it .
Sounds a great Adventure good luck and plenty of pictures for us to drool over .😉👍
Pics to follow for sure and at the moment I need recovering - still on the fuel system and my new door handles and locks are being difficult, as is the window mechanism which will not marry up with the four screw holes on the carcass...ah...Defenders!

Ahhh but when I was your age I still felt young👍🤣.
I have children older than you😳
Edit.. In fact you have just reminded me.. Its her birthday on Tuesday.... Ta👍
So that makes you young in my book👍
I bow to your considerable experience and can feel young for the day - my other half's fifteen year old son considers me ancient.

Thanks for support and enjoy your daughter's birthday on Tuesday.

Pictures to follow!

T

Back
Top Bottom