• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Toad Tax

Just had my reminder through for the TD5.

£275 quid on the letter - £290 by the time I'd filled in the details on-line (took me about 30 minutes between receiving the letter and paying).

How come it can go up £25 in the time it takes to post the letter - I know 2nd class is slow...but really?

Ho hum - at least this is cheaper than next year......<and repeat>.....

Received my tax reminder in post today, when I read @Thinman21 post I rushed to open it and check the rate which was £280 of course when I went online to pay it was £295.
Wife said they can't do that, you only got the bill in post today, I said it's the government they make the rules.
Though when you think about it, it is a bit unfair, if anyone else sent you a bill for £280 and you went online immediately to pay it and it popped up with oh by the way it's gone up, now it's £295, you would refuse and say stick to the ruddy contract!

I think they want us all electric, in the mean time the tax will pay for the infrastructure before they replace the electric stuff with hydrogen. Either way the consumer has to pay.

Was stood in the chemist earlier, 2 women from Tesco (one worked on the pumps) talking about running out of diesel and now petrol as people are panic buying again.

Maybe I should have sorted for a couple of months till it all quietens down, but where is the fun in that…

If we all told the government that we required zero services, then we could have no tax bill at all; might be a bit problematic trying to live our lives though.
The rot is too deeply set in now as we have demanded far more than we can afford, and that has to paid for. We've been living on borrowed money for years now so it's hardly a surprise that taxes will continue to rise. The only way out is to earn more as a nation so productivity and positive global trade is what's needed.

Picture this large pile up on the motorway,several lithium batteries catch fire. But water does not put out these fires ! its not going to end well 😬
Then theres the bellow situation but batteries are going to save the planet 🤣 go electric to save on tax,the cost of power is going up doh 🙄
C0C7FFF5-E0E5-4461-B969-6BFABB97B17D.jpeg

The tax went up on the 1st April, it has been in the press about it for some time...
Have to admit I've given up reading the press at the moment.

I think my point was it can't take them 6 days to change the price on a printed letter (electrickery travels about 1mm per second - should have been plenty of time to alter the price before printing and sending) - I know the increase was only about the same amount as buying a box of cornflakes (at the moment) it just means I need to be even more convincing to Mrs T when I explain why its a good idea to tax it..... :)

The tax went up on the 1st April, it has been in the press about it for some time...
As @Thinman21 says above, and DVLA would have known it was going up way in advance, those V11 tax reminders are printed electronically not a printing press that takes ages to reformat, it would only take a couple of clicks on a screen to change but DVLA is so incompetent now that 6 days after I receive the old price.

Then theres the bellow situation but batteries are going to save the planet 🤣
I'm not an EV fan - though TBH it would suit a lot of our journeys exceedingly well AND we have our own off-street parking :D
But answering those criticisms ...
AIUI modern electric cars have heat-pumps for the heating - so yes you can have heat.
Compared to the size of a battery sized to drag a heavy (electric cars are heavier than IC cars for a similar type of vehicle), wipers, radio, GPS take f'all power.
And when you think about it, if you use petrol or diesel - it can (and does) run out, if the authorities want to come and rescue people it doesn't matter if the roads are blocked with lecky or IC vehicles - it's still blocked.
Lecky vehicles can be towed, and there are portable charging options - some are a small genny on a trailer, some are battery packs (like a big version of the booster boxes recovery people use to get you started when the battery on your IC vehicle is flat).

But yes, I could see there being some interesting queues when people do run out in situations like that - and subsequent queues for the chargers at the next service station.

I think the future always means change so we need to roll with that change to stay in the game.

While Lithium batteries have problems, there are lots of people working on alternatives such as the Glass Battery being designed buy the bloke that designed the Lithium battery originally.

Much higher energy density and less weight - still doesn't get round the recharging times, but maybe the answer would be a swappable battery pack at Tescos or Asda...

There is a lot of money to be made from getting this working, so lots of people trying to solve those problems, the same way that Stevenson chap managed to get a steam engine light enough to transport people along a couple of metal strips

Everything is possible - we just don't know what it is yet

It's been discussed before whereby the batteries are all the same and rented, when you goto "fill up" you simply drop your battery and a charged battery is popped in. The problem comes from all manufacturers wanting to use their own design and build it into the chassis of the car etc.

Biggest problem with batteries is not the tech but the economics. They are price inflationary due to their nature of construction, economies of scale don't necessarily make them cheaper, this is the biggest problem to overcome.

Battery powered cars are a solution to a narrow set of problems. The transport industry has to solve bigger problems than just people driving AtoB for shopping and short commutes and its an economic challenge as much as a tech challenge.

@mikeau in theory the batteries at the swapping stations are charged tested etc and swapped for new if they are duff - they can then be sent away to be broken down and rebuilt. Most use the standard 18650 and itll only be a few cells our of hundreds that are duff - they can be replaced and the battery put back into circulation.

If you had an older battery with a shorter range it would just need swapping out quicker.

I currently have an iso-to-Rover connector for my car stereo, there could be options for the same idea for batteries.

At the moment the manufacturers all want to be the 'VHS' in the battery world, but until the winning tech is developed, the manufacturers will just have good-better-best tech till the 'killer' duracell is produced and then made public rather than being tied to a single manufacturer. We are a long way off from that yet I guess

For now there is no battery that can compete with petrol/diesel for energy stored by weight /volume but a lot of that energy is wasted in heat (good engines are still wasting up to 55% that way)

The other fun bit with electric cars is hogging the charging station - even if you get on a charger - you have to get off in 2 hours once its finished charging cos someone else needs it, you're not off to bed to pick it up in the morning. At least with 'instant' power packs its an 'in and go' idea.

For now I'll stick with the current petrol/diesel cars because it works and we have loads of 'charging stations' - but who know whats next? Hydrogen - BEV - hybrid petrol or do we end up renting a car by the hour as its too expensive to park it up for most of the time?

Back
Top Bottom