• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Tool Reviews - well you know Christmas is coming!

Lighting90

Administrator
Staff member
Thought would highlight something that all members of the forum could help with.

We have the Tool Reviews Section - https://www.lrukforums.com/resources/?prefix_id=8

But we have not had many recent reviews, so this is a shout out to you all, why not tell us all on the forum about some tool you have that either you thought was a good buy or even one that was a complete disaster tool that was the biggest waste of money ever!

When you are on the tool review page, just click on Add Resource, select reviews, it then gives you the text box. At (No Prefix) click on that and select tool review and then put in your title, add your review, and any pictures you want to include.

Looking forward to what forum members recommend, any issues with uploading your review, drop us a line, and we will try and help.

So no new reviews, has no one bought any new tools of late? :(

or are we going to get loads of reviews after Santa has been and delivered a host of new tools to each and everyone of us... (here is hoping!)

I have a Dewalt 18v compact driver and getting the Drill to go with it for Xmas apparently..so we will see .the driver is good so im expecting the drill to be .

I'd do a review, but honestly it feels like use and care of the tool are more a deciding factor.

I have a DeWalt 18v drill at home. Had it years and it's almost like new.
Had the same drill at work. Twice. In half the time as i've owned my one. They're both burned out and knackered.
So are they good or not? Depends how hard you ride 'em :p

I have an utterly crap cheap set of spanners from when I was a youngster. I still have the whole set and they're not broken...though I have maimed a few.
So are Chinese spanners really the best choice?

The best tools you can buy are the really cheap ones from car boot sales that have known brands on, but they're old as hell and won't break unless you're an utter ham-fisted type.

For specific tools (torque wrench, dti, whatever), get a known brand in your price range and how you expect to use it.
I'd never buy a Hilti tool for my home set....but if I worked on site...
I'd never use a Chinese DTI for machine work...but they're fine for wheel bearings on your LR!

I'm not trying to shoot down the concept of course, but I can't think of a good review that I could make that would really sway anyone this way or that way other than the very general types of advice.

The best tools you can buy are the really cheap ones from car boot sales that have known brands on, but they're old as hell and won't break unless you're an utter ham-fisted type
I have to agree with that. Most of mine are old Britool spanners from the 40's, and older. A lot of whitworth, most were from grandparents, ex railway engineering, and my Dad's stuff.

I do have some newer stuff, Facom mostly. Metric ...

Absolutely zero silverline stuff,that's the tool equivalent of briptart. Bought once and learned the hard way.

I have to agree with that. Most of mine are old Britool spanners from the 40's, and older. A lot of whitworth, most were from grandparents, ex railway engineering, and my Dad's stuff.

I do have some newer stuff, Facom mostly. Metric ...

Absolutely zero silverline stuff,that's the tool equivalent of briptart. Bought once and learned the hard way.
There's a super stall in the covered market down west. I got a huge record Vice in there few years back and struggled to drag it out.
Lots of old heavy stuff and the old bloke just sits there in his chair drinking tea ,pointing and mumbling in Cornish.
It's getting a bit more expensive now as he's realising what stuff is worth.

Attachments

• IMG_8422.jpeg
    IMG_8422.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8424.jpeg
    IMG_8424.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 23
Plus my pops treated me to these socket holders in 1/2ā€-3/8ā€ and 1/4 drive , plus some 10mm bit holders

will be so nice to organise all my sockets etc, have found my short impact sockets donā€™t fit but the long impact sockets do

Attachments

• IMG_8426.jpeg
    IMG_8426.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8427.jpeg
    IMG_8427.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 28
I'd never use a Chinese DTI for machine work...but they're fine for wheel bearings on your LR!

Aye, this.

I have a lot of US Pro kit, used to be branded as Bergen. It's very affordable and they sell pretty much everything, never had an issue so far. All my impact sockets are from them, always been pleased with them. My chrome socket sets are Snap-on just because they're a pleasure to use, absolutely not necessary unless it's life or death (bought second hand, of course).

Silverline I'll use in certain situations, I once had to thread the incoming malleable iron water main to my house, figured the tool would be good for at least one cut. I did a practice run in the garage and it formed beautifully; I then did it on the incoming main and it snapped one of the cutters off, crushed the pipe and had to cut the whole lot off with the grinder and come up with a plan B on a Sunday evening! Seems one cut was all it had in it. Years later I found out they actually warranty their tools but by then it was too late.

us pro and bergen stuff are good quality tools its about all that i buy now. there is a trader that goes to all the shows that has a good selection at good prices. snapon has just got too expensive now. i will not be buying any more facom as they will only exchange on the lifetime guarantee if you have the original receipt.

Back
Top Bottom