• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Tyres and rims for TD5 90

Darryl90

In Second Gear
Just about to change wheels/rims on my Defender 90 TD5 2003. At present it's on Freestyle Alloys with 235/85R 16
Can I install any LR alloys - I have been told that the TD5 rims differ from 300TDi and TCDI rims.
Also which (if any) Discovery rims will be suitable.
I'm OK with the 235s but would consider 265s. Is there much difference? The car is used mainly on road with a little use on shitty tracks. No off roading or green laning.

There are some issues with fitting later wheels to earlier vehicles but I'm not aware of any issues with fitting early wheels to later vehicles.
You should be able to fit any wheel compatible with a Defender. Discovery 1 wheels would also fit.
Wider tyres might need wheels with different offset or wheel spacers to avoid them rubbing on the steering parts.

I'm rebuilding a 2001 110 TD5. Sorry don't know about Discovery rims.
I have a set of alloys with 80% road bias tyres - good enough for unmade tracks and light off-roading. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tyres. Tyre size - 265/75 16R. The rims are from Bowler Motorsport. Note: got 30mm spacers on. Also have a set of steel rims which will have KO2's for more serious trips.
The tyres whether 135 or 165 would probably suit your intended use.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 07.48.25.png
IMG_3206.jpeg

Have a look at this thread: https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/early-90-alloy-wheel-fitment.282927/

@mikeau suggests there may be issues with Discovery rims and the flange bolts catching on some wheels
There is, but its not insurmountable... and I imagine it very much depends which alloys you try.
Worth being aware of though, as its possible to tighten the wheel nuts to the normal torque and not have the rim sit tight / flush to the stub axles.
They could then come loose when moving.
Its not nice loosing a wheel in motion (ask me how I know)...

There is, but its not insurmountable... and I imagine it very much depends which alloys you try.
Worth being aware of though, as its possible to tighten the wheel nuts to the normal torque and not have the rim sit tight / flush to the stub axles.
They could then come loose when moving.
Its not nice loosing a wheel in motion (ask me how I know)...
me too, left rear. Practically demolished the bodywork. It was just a bad week. Crashed a bike at 110MPH earlier that week and I can remember quite clearly slidng across the road and thinking to myself that "this is far too nice a day to die" and that was me done with bikes. I imagine my guardian angel probably had a huge sigh of relief

me too, left rear. Practically demolished the bodywork. It was just a bad week. Crashed a bike at 110MPH earlier that week and I can remember quite clearly slidng across the road and thinking to myself that "this is far too nice a day to die" and that was me done with bikes. I imagine my guardian angel probably had a huge sigh of relief

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly..."

Back
Top Bottom