• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

viscous fan bearing?

Bilge rat 1

Big Landy Fan
on a 300 tdi is it possible to replace the bearing the viscous fan unit screws to or is it a hole new front timing cover casing??. alan

no its in the front of the timing cover,i have seen a pic on here from someone who removed the bearing without damaging anything but the problem he had was he could not find a new bearing to match,so it looks like a whole new cover or just remove the fan and leave it off like i have as my bearing was getting rough so thought i would make it last a bit longer by removing the fan,all has been well since.

I think i know where i could get a bearing from if i could figure out how to get it out lol, i have been defeated so far, i have a spare cover in the garage and have had a poke around a couple of times but not managed yet.

Peter i think its on the water pump on a 200 but the wierd thing is i did not think RAVE covered 200tdi as i thought it covers 94 onwards? Strange! On a 300tdi the water pump is at the top.

got it out , bloody tight. carefully drifted the front threaded part of the boss off . then the whole bearing unit presses through the ally housing. is a strange brg but with a skf number on it so i'll keep you posted ..alan

The 200TDi comes up with the water pump in the front cover, but the 300TDi has what you are describing, as the 'Gemini' engine, all a bit confusing!

Picture from Microcat below.

Peter

Attachments

• Disco1TimingCove&#114.jpg
    Disco1TimingCove&#114.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 317
I know its a bit late in the day but her is the answer for the future The bearing number that will fit all be it a fraction longer than the original is JD9448 and costs £19.38p.... It's a John Deere Tractor water pump bearing spindle at both ends The extra length ( It's only a few mm ) can be lost in the inside of the housing where there is a recess........... it will need to be trimmed with a 1mm cutting disc at both ends, but just hold the cutter steady and don't press hard let the disc cut slowly and you'll be fine, I've done loads with a 4" grinder and a 1mm cutting disc.
here's where to get if from .............http://www.nytractorparts.co.uk/.............. 01673 828883................ Ask for James, he'll order you one and post it out to you. The bearing Dia is 1.5" or 38.10mm the barrel length is about 50 to 52mm ( 3 to 5 mm longer than the original) the spindle dia that you need is 0.626" ( 15.91mm) and needs trimming to 27mm longer than the end of the barrel The other end also has a spindle but that just needs cutting off as close to the barrel as possible, I usually manage 2 to 3mm without any trouble.
Hope this helps. So there you guys have it, I've given you a trade secret away, how good is that!............Don't ever say that the bearing can't be replaced and you have to buy a new front timing cover.. You Don't
Kind Regards to anyone reading this.

Hello all read previous posts with great interest I do have a brand new timing case front cover for the 300 Tdi complete with the bearing, this was bought for my Discovery but was not needed, as the Discovery has been sold I no longer need it , if any one needs it I will sell it for £180.00 plus postage which is what I paid for it, I do have few other spares left which I will sell, all new, 2 sets rear brake pads, doughnut and kit, track rod ends, 3 u j s, centre a frame ball joint, 2 air filters, oil filter, fuel filter, prop shaft bolts pm me for phone number for prices, all the above can be picked up from my home or Neath South Wales. regards Colin

Hello all read previous posts with great interest I do have a brand new timing case front cover for the 300 Tdi complete with the bearing, this was bought for my Discovery but was not needed, as the Discovery has been sold I no longer need it , if any one needs it I will sell it for £180.00 plus postage which is what I paid for it, I do have few other spares left which I will sell, all new, 2 sets rear brake pads, doughnut and kit, track rod ends, 3 u j s, centre a frame ball joint, 2 air filters, oil filter, fuel filter, prop shaft bolts pm me for phone number for prices, all the above can be picked up from my home or Neath South Wales. regards Colin

Ebay the bits !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rove...981499?hash=item33803f907b:g:TiUAAOSwYIhWlhyu

lrsoffroad here in the UK are selling new front covers for £126 alternatively fit a John Deere water pump bearing into your old cover cost £20

Back
Top Bottom