• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Water ingress

Blaven11

Overdrive!
I know this is a subject that comes up quite a bit with owners having water getting in from all sorts of places.
I’ve now got water coming in from the front passenger footwell heater /temperature/blower panel that sits below the fascia.
Only drips and drabs (following rain) but enough to soak the carpet.
Cannot identify where it is originally coming in from. Bulkhead or perhaps the vent on the top of the f/n/s wing?
Anybody else had this issue and can point me in the right direction please? 🤔

Hi, I had exactly the same problem. Open the vent and, using a small mirror, look to see whether the edge of the vent is seating properly on the rubber sealing strip. If not, replacement strips are easy to fit, and a good fix to damp feet/carpets. Hope this helps.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem. Open the vent and, using a small mirror, look to see whether the edge of the vent is seating properly on the rubber sealing strip. If not, replacement strips are easy to fit, and a good fix to damp feet/carpets. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that but excuse my ignorance when you say open the vent what vent are you referring to. If you’re referring to the manual opening vents below the windscreen mine doesn’t have them.

Yes, see what you mean a complete booklet on it. Think it might need updating though as I don’t think DumDum is available any more?

Yes, see what you mean a complete booklet on it. Think it might need updating though as I don’t think DumDum is available any more?
Flee bay .....this has a good right up ...I think I need some also ...same problems.🤨
A54F58A0-6729-4076-85EF-591EA07CA408.png

That "dum dum" tape is a super expensive!! :eek: Especially as "dum dum" no longer exists, someone is taking the mickeybig time.

For future ref it's just butyl tape, which you can get 4 times as much for about half the price ;)

That "dum dum" tape is a super expensive!! :eek: Especially as "dum dum" no longer exists, someone is taking the mickeybig time.

For future ref it's just butyl tape, which you can get 4 times as much for about half the price ;)

I always thought this stuff came soft so you mold It into shape then it set hard .meaning you get a snug fit ...water tight so to speak .

Thanks Mike. I was perhaps a tad to eager but I’ve ordered some of that as well. What the hell, it’s only money. Lol 😊

The butyl tape is all the same stuff, even if they do try to pass it off as dum dum ;)

Just pull a piece off, roll it around in your hands to get it warm & work it until it becomes soft and you can form it into wherever you want. Its not quite as compliant as the old original dum dum but it works just as well. I've sealed my series and fitted the screens with it and touch wood has worked very well.

Top tip for genuine Land Rover dum dum ,if you change your water shedders on your doors to the new foam shedders you’re old shedders will have the original dum dum ,I changed all 4 doors and had a tennis ball size of dum dum a lot better than that crap I bought off e-bay

I wish I knew the 'recipe' for DumDum, Im sure it wasnt so deadly that we couldnt make some...
That bei g said, Ivce had great results using the butyl strip and my 110 is also leak-free (aside from a small drip from the sunroof seal which Ive not looked at yet).
I think it works because it doesnt dry or set and remains stuck to the surfaces while staying malleable to account for movement between body panels.

Back
Top Bottom